Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] tworthen@cox.net is offline

Default HDMI receiver vs 4 ohm speakers

I'm looking for recommendations for a modern HDMI receiver that is
rated to drive my 4 ohm Magnepan 2 speakers. Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
DaveW[_4_] DaveW[_4_] is offline

Those Magnepan's require high current output availability due to their 4 ohm
rating. You are looking at getting a high end, NOT standard consumer brand
such as Denon or Sony, receiver such as a Lexicon brand or similar. Quite
expensive.

--
--DaveW
wrote in message ...
I'm looking for recommendations for a modern HDMI receiver that is
rated to drive my 4 ohm Magnepan 2 speakers. Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jdarmo Jdarmo is offline

wrote in message ...
I'm looking for recommendations for a modern HDMI receiver that is
rated to drive my 4 ohm Magnepan 2 speakers. Thanks in advance.

I would look at the NAD receivers. The T-755 and T-765 would drive the 'pans
quite well.
They are a little pricy, but have the stability that you will need for the 4
ohm loads. I remember
years ago, I ran a pair of MG2 with a 40wpc NAD integrated.

Joe
Angus Stewart Pinkerton Angus Stewart Pinkerton is offline
Junior Member

Location: Rempstone, Leicestershire, England

As has been stated, Maggies are an easy load due to their low phase angles, so should not stress any decent receiver. I have used Maggies previously, and now have Apogee Duetta Signatures, but even those notorious amp-busters are actually an easy load (aside from their low electro/acoustic efficiency). I do actually use a Krell to drive the Apogees, but I've tried several cheap amps and receivers on them without audible or thermal problems. Again, this is due to their primarily resistive nature, so I wouldn't be overconcerned about the ability of any reputable multi-channel receiver to drive your Maggies. Impossible to give an actual recommendation since you don't mention budget.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

On Jun 10, 7:12*pm, JimC wrote:
wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a modern HDMI receiver that is
rated to drive my 4 ohm Magnepan 2 speakers. Thanks in advance.

You might consider getting a modern receiver with the features you want
plus a decent, high-current amplifier to power your Maggies. Strange,
but that may be cheaper than getting a preamp-power amp combination with
the same capabilities, or an upscale receiver with the same features and
same power capacity.

Jim

As long as the receiver has analog outputs for the channels you can
get any number of good, high current, used amps off fleabay for a
couple hundred bucks. Quality solid state amps have been around for a
long time now and lots of them work just as well as a new one. Just
park it on the floor behind your stuff.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Angus Stewart Pinkerton"
wrote in
message

As has been stated, Maggies are an easy load due to their
low phase angles, so should not stress any decent
receiver.

This sort of thinking, while correct in its way, has some offsets.

Historically, reactive loads have been problems for SS amplfiiers, but
modern output devices have addressed that problem well for relatively small
incremental costs.

The flat impedance curve of the Maggies does create a different kind of
challenge, simply because the impedance curve is flat and low.

Comparing Maggies to the other speaker mentioned in this thread, the KEF
Q15, both speakers have minimum impedance of about 4 ohms. Furthermore, the
Q15 is a more difficult load in the sense that it does get signficantly
reactive over some fairly wide ranges of frequencies.

Here are impedance magnitude and phase curves for the Q15.

http://www.pcavtech.com/techtalk/wir...g_lo_right.gif

http://www.pcavtech.com/techtalk/wir...hase_right.gif

The phase of the impedance curve reaches an extreme of over 60 degrees at 3
KHz. However, the impedance is an OK 8 ohms at this point.

The impedance curve reaches a minimum of 3 ohms at 8.5 kHz, but the phase is
less than 15 degrees.

Note that over much of its impedance curve, the Q15's impedance is greater
than 6 ohms

Here is impedance magnitude and phase curves for a typical Magnepan speaker:

http://www.stereophile.com/images/ar.../Mag16fig1.jpg

Note that the speaker's impedance is less than 6 ohms over most of the
frequency range. It is uniformly low at low frequencies where much of the
power in music resides.

The Maganepan's impedance curve does not have the extreme phase angles we
see with the Q15.

I have used Maggies previously, and now have
Apogee Duetta Signatures, but even those notorious
amp-busters are actually an easy load (aside from their
low electro/acoustic efficiency).

The combination of low efficiency, and generally low impedance creates a
tough load, but in a different sense than a speaker like the Q15 which
probably has a higher average impedance, but is more extremely reactive at
some frequencies.

I do actually use a
Krell to drive the Apogees, but I've tried several cheap
amps and receivers on them without audible or thermal
problems.

I sense that extreme operational conditions like home dance parties and
running the amp into clipping for long periods of time was avoided.

Again, this is due to their primarily resistive
nature, so I wouldn't be overconcerned about the ability
of any reputable multi-channel receiver to drive your
Maggies. Impossible to give an actual recommendation
since you don't mention budget.

Agreed.

HDMI to Analog Wayne[_5_] Pro Audio 2 February 10th 08 01:13 PM
Is 5 ch analog out better than HDMI? [email protected] Tech 15 December 25th 07 11:19 PM
SKY HD and HDMI - DVI Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com Car Audio 0 December 25th 07 08:39 PM
why recver hdmi? trs80 General 2 September 21st 06 06:36 AM
HDMI Upconversion Skip And Kathy Phillips Tech 2 August 10th 06 11:33 PM