screentan

Default Does soundcard effect quality of internal audio processing?

I am working with CD quality audio samples as well as other sounds
created by the various soft synths contained within in Propellerheads
Reason 2.5. I export the finished song to a wav file and then burn a
CD on the same PC's CD burner. Does it make any difference that I am
using the cheap onboard soundcard as oppossed to a higher quality
dedicated soundcard like the Audiophile? The only justification I can
see (with my limited knowledge) is that a better soundcard would only
improve monitoring, the quality of the CD should be no different. As I
am not doing any A-D conversion, the soundcard should not be altering
the 'internally processed' sound quality or is it?
I am really try to see if this method of working justifies spending a
couple of hundred on an Audiophile USB card. I was thinking of the USB
version so that it could work on a laptop too.
Many thanks for any advice and information provided.

Mike D

Arny Krueger

"screentan" wrote in message
om

I am working with CD quality audio samples as well as other sounds
created by the various soft synths contained within in Propellerheads
Reason 2.5. I export the finished song to a wav file and then burn a
CD on the same PC's CD burner. Does it make any difference that I am
using the cheap onboard soundcard as oppossed to a higher quality
dedicated soundcard like the Audiophile?

It shouldn't.

The only justification I can
see (with my limited knowledge) is that a better soundcard would only
improve monitoring, the quality of the CD should be no different.

Agreed.

As I am not doing any A-D conversion, the soundcard should not be

altering
the 'internally processed' sound quality or is it?

Agreed.

I am really try to see if this method of working justifies spending a
couple of hundred on an Audiophile USB card.

As you say, only the quality of monitoring is at stake.

I was thinking of the USB
version so that it could work on a laptop too.

Please notice all the cautionary things that people are saying about USB
sound cards. In many cases it has to do with recent experience with them.
I'm not saying they can't work, but lots of people have obtained figurative
bloody fingers with them.

Daniel Fuchs

DaveDrummer wrote:

It WILL be different, but of very little significance.

No. It will sound different through the monitors, but the sound card
quality does not affect the quality of bouncing or exporting to wav at
all.

Daniel

I dont think you'd
notice.