Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Default SWPL: 116, Black Music that Black People Dont Listen to Anymore

((I was guilty as charged once, and for-as I look back on it-an
EMBARRASSINGLY long time. Bret.))

#116 Black Music that Black People Dont Listen to Anymore

"All music genres go through a very similar life cycle: birth, growth,

mainstream acceptance, decline, and finally obscurity. With black music,
however, the final stage is never reached because white people are work
tirelessly to keep it alive. Apparently, once a music has lost its
relevance with its intended audience, it becomes MORE relevant to white
people.

Historically speaking, the music that white people have kept on life
support for the longest period of time is Jazz. Thanks largely to public
radio, bookstores, and coffee shops, Jazz has carved out a niche in white
culture that is not yet ready to be replaced by Indie Rock. But the
biggest role that Jazz plays in white culture is in the white fantasy of
leisure. All white people believe that they prefer listening to jazz over
watching television. This is not true.

Every few a months, a white person will put on some Jazz and pour
themselves a glass of wine or scotch and tell themselves how nice it is.
Then they will get bored and watch television or write emails to other
white people about how nice it was to listen to Jazz at home. Last
night, I poured myself a glass of Shiraz and put Charlie Parker on the
Bose. It was so relaxing, I wish I had a fireplace. Listing this
activity as one of your favorites is a sure fire way to make progress
towards a romantic relationship with a white person.

Along with Jazz, white people have also taken quite a shine to The Blues,
an art form that captured the pain of the black experience in America.
Then, in the 1960s, a bunch of British bands started to play their own
version of the music and white people have been loving it ever since. It
makes sense considering that the British were the ones who created The
Blues in the 17th Century.

Today, white people keep The Blues going strong by taking vacations to
Memphis, forming awkward bands, making documentaries, and organizing folk
festivals. Blue and Jazz music appeal mostly to older white people and
select few young ones who probably wear fedoras. But that doesnt mean
that young white people arent working hard to preserve music that has
lost relevance. No, there are literally thousands of white people who are
giving their all to keep old school Hip Hop alive.

Even as you read this, white people are telling other white people about
the golden age of Hip Hop that they experienced in a suburban high school
or through a viewing of The Wackness.

If you are good at concealing laughter and contempt, you should ask a
white person about Real Hip Hop. They will quickly tell you about
how they dont listen to Commercial Hip Hop (aka music that black
people actually enjoy), and that they much prefer Classic Hip Hop.

I dont listen to that commercial stuff. Im more into the Real Hip
Hop, you know? KRS One, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, De La Soul, Wu Tang,
you know, The Old School.

Calling this style of music old school is considered an especially
apt name since the majority of people who listen to it did so while
attending old schools such as Dartmouth, Bard, and Williams College.

What it all comes down to is that white people are convinced that if they
were alive when this music was relevant that they would have been into it.
They would have been Alan Lomax or Rick Rubin. Now the best they can hope
for is to impress an older black person with their knowledge."

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008...en-to-anymore/

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] suckerton2@gmx.us is offline

[...]

Fab Five Freddie told me everybody's high
DJ's spinnin' are savin' my mind
Flash is fast, Flash is cool....
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Default =?windows-1252?Q?Re=3A_SWPL=3A_116=2C_Black_Music_that_Black _Peo

Suckerton quoth Debbie Harry before she was geriatric:

"Fab Five Freddie told me everybody's high

DJ's spinnin' are savin' my mind
Flash is fast, Flash is cool.... "

What I'd like to see is the French bits so we could get a translation of
what she's saying. I know she does not actually speak French, nor does
Chris, so probably she got it from a book.