Car Amplifier Help!

Old September 27th 04, 10:07 AM
rainy

Default Car Amplifier Help!

Whilst removing an old factory fitted (Camry 91) tape deck, I accidentally
let one of the wires (+ charge) touch the metal bit causing the old deck to
fry. As the old system was connected to an amplifier (model Range TX-2000
which has NO info whatsoever on the web) ... well anyway heres what
happended:

- I saw smoke coming from the old tape deck (obviously fried).

- When I installed the new CD player I took off the -ve charge on the main
battery to prevent any more damage.

- The new CD player worked fine but I had to wire it directly instead of via
the amplifier.

The problem with the amplifier ---> doesnt power up.

- Checked the external battery to amp fuse (didnt burn)...electricity can
still run through it.

- Checked the inside of the amp (couldnt find any visible fuses)...unless
they diont have any which is kinda strange.

- Electricity seems to be getting through to the amp but doesnt power up.

I find it strange that frying a head unit can cause damage to the
amplifier....I mean Ive checked the fuse between the battery and amp and IT
IS NOT BLOWN. The interior of the box also doesnt smell like its burnt nor
does the boot (amp is in da boot).

Any ideas??

Thanks

Old September 27th 04, 11:45 PM
SF

Your factory amp is probably fried as well. Factory Amps are not as tough as
aftermarket amps. I always disconnect the battery when doing anything to the
car. This prevents frying something important, like computers.

You might want to think about an aftermarket amp.

--
WDW is a Way of Life