Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean B Sean B is offline

Default Good Gate/Expander Units From 1970s & 80s

What are some of the better ones from these decades?

Thanks,

Sean B
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/13/2018 3:29 PM, Sean B wrote:
What are some of the better ones from these decades?

Kepex (I think there's a plug-in for that)

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/13/2018 3:29 PM, Sean B wrote:
What are some of the better ones from these decades?

Kepex (I think there's a plug-in for that)

The Kepex is the one everybody wanted and it was probably the first, but
people who didn't have the budget would buy the Rocksonics or the MXR.
LT Sound also made an inexpensive one that was kind of fun.

I'm assuming that you're looking for a gate to get an artificial sound,
like the Phil Collins drum sound, rather than looking for a natural sounding
gate?

In the eighties if you were looking not to hear the gate snapping, the dbx
"downward limiter" was probably your best choice, but if you want to hear the
gate snapping, the kepex was the way to go. The dbx appeared in a lot of
broadcast chains.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean B Sean B is offline

Thanks for the recommendations! My 3 uses for gates/expanders would be gating tom mics, reducing snare buzz during kick drum hits, and third, I like the classic parallel compression trick on snare drum to get the "snap" effect. If you don't gate the send to the compressor first, you bring up a lot of leakage. It's really cool how when you mix in the uncompressed snare signal, you get the fidelity back. If you listen to just the compressor output, the snare sounds so ruined.

Sean B