Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_] John Doe[_2_] is offline

Default Digital noise from speakers in flight simulator (X-Plane)

I know the difference between noise and intentionally produced
sound.

It is not obviously coming from the flight simulator. The power draw
is much greater. Unlikely the (upgraded) power supply, but possibly
the motherboard 3-D circuitry and/or mishandling the increased power
requirement.

An intermediate test might be finding some other power-hungry 3-D
software to try. Microsoft's flight simulator might do. Or maybe
some benchmark software.

geoff wrote:

On 8/04/2018 9:01 PM, John Doe wrote:
"Nicola B. Bernardelli" wrote:

John Doe wrote:

INFORMATION:

The JBL LSR305s make great PC speakers, zero noise, except when
playing a flight simulator (X-Plane).

Tried two different video cards, PNY GTX980 and MSI GTX960. Tried
built-in audio and Creative Rx soundcard Tried a different
speaker cable.

The noise corresponds to what is displayed on the screen. It
changes when a menu choice is selected. Sounds like an
oscillator.

Neither of my monitors have an HDMI audio output jack.

QUESTIONS:

Should I try an HDMI pass-through with audio extractor?

The soundcard has SPDIF output. But I am having trouble finding
an inexpensive SPDIF input preamp for the powered speakers.

Could you solve the problem by now?

Just out of curiosity, I searched in Duckduckgo.com

video card dac audio interference

you might want to do the same and check out some of the resulting
pages, e.g.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/33...mputer-working

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-speakers.html

https://hardforum.com/threads/help-w...-card.1929139/

https://hardforum.com/threads/video-...rence.1789077/

Somebody mentions having solved it by removing software (Dolby
stuff), or updating drivers, somebody mentions unplugging a cable
from the aux input they were not using...

BTW you didn't mention what motherboard it is.

And... I think I've gone through each post in this thread but now,
sorry, I don't remember: could you check out the SPDIF output
eventually?

That would require a third purchase, less useful than the first two.
I will post when it is solved. If it affected something other than
the flight simulator, I might be more gung ho for solving it. Every
other sound from my PC is noise free. Most impressive is the USB
microphone connected to a 36 foot Tripp-Lite active USB extender.
Used partly for security, partly for entertaining my indoor-only
cats. The Marantz USB microphone is output through my SoundBlaster
Audigy Rx to the JBL LSR305s. Sounds like being outside. Love it.

Thanks.

Sorry if already clarified, but the noise isn't actually coming from the
flight simulator program by any chance, ie meant to be there even if
unpleasant to you ?

Cos if it isn't there from other source media on the computer that would
kind of eliminate everything else....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nicola B. Bernardelli Nicola B. Bernardelli is offline

On 04/08/2018 06:01 AM, John Doe wrote:

That would require a third purchase, less useful than the first two.
I will post when it is solved. If it affected something other than
the flight simulator, I might be more gung ho for solving it. Every
other sound from my PC is noise free. Most impressive is the USB
microphone connected to a 36 foot Tripp-Lite active USB extender.
Used partly for security, partly for entertaining my indoor-only
cats. The Marantz USB microphone is output through my SoundBlaster
Audigy Rx to the JBL LSR305s. Sounds like being outside. Love it.

Thanks.

I see. You might enjoy SP/DIF a lot however, if the converter has good
characteristics on the analogue side.

I have a Focusrite audio interface, SP/DIF from the PC sounds just as
good as ASIO via USB.

(I also tried the FlightGear flight simulator through the Focusrite LOL,
sounds great... BTW I only used aircraft with a good JSBSim-based Flight
Dynamics Model, not YaSim which is merely trying to extrapolate the
plane behavior from its geometry, and BTW I was more interested in the
plane behavior than in a nicely modeled cockpits... I had tried out
X-Plane years ago but the flight simulation I experienced was not as
good as the one I found at least in a few FlightGear aircraft I came to
prefer over others I had tried.)

I'll check out your post when you solve the problem.

BTW this was another interesting reading:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-aud...round-pin.html

and links this page

http://www.guitarcenter.com/VTG/Grou...yf100s3dy00279

and this one

http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...11658610?hl=en
Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_] John Doe[_2_] is offline

"Phil W" wrote:

"John Doe" :

I will lose the SoundBlaster equalizer software, using HDMI
audio, but I suppose there is a replacement.

IF you´re using Windows, you might want to check out:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
in conjunction with
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pea...apo-extension/

as a "system-wide" EQ - can be activated and DEactivated easily.

Thanks. This is preliminary, but... I especially needed the "Pre
Amplifying" function. Was not getting enough volume out of my
system.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_] John Doe[_2_] is offline

I'm posting to the original thread almost 3 years ago. Sorry if that
bothers anybody (not really sorry, but let me know).

Solved.

I tried a cheap Trip-Lite HDMI pass-through with audio extractor. Didn't
matter if it solved the noise problem, the audio was horrible.

Then I tried an optical digital-to-analog converter ($27 US), from the
optical output on the soundcard. Used some hot melt glue to secure the
optical cable connections, so no popping on the 96 kHz setting.

No more noise!

Sounds very nice.

--

I wrote:

INFORMATION:

The JBL LSR305s make great PC speakers, zero noise, except when
playing a flight simulator (X-Plane).

Tried two different video cards, PNY GTX980 and MSI GTX960.
Tried built-in audio and Creative Rx soundcard
Tried a different speaker cable.

The noise corresponds to what is displayed on the screen. It
changes when a menu choice is selected. Sounds like an oscillator.

Neither of my monitors have an HDMI audio output jack.

QUESTIONS:

Should I try an HDMI pass-through with audio extractor?

The soundcard has SPDIF output. But I am having trouble finding an
inexpensive SPDIF input preamp for the powered speakers.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Doe wrote:

"Phil W" wrote:
"John Doe" wrote:

I will lose the SoundBlaster equalizer software, using HDMI
audio, but I suppose there is a replacement.

IF you´re using Windows, you might want to check out:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
in conjunction with
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pea...apo-extension/

as a "system-wide" EQ - can be activated and DEactivated easily.

Thanks. This is preliminary, but... I especially needed the "Pre
Amplifying" function. Was not getting enough volume out of my
system.

Been using it ever since.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Nicola B. Bernardelli" wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

Between then and now, I replaced the motherboard (once or twice). Apparently
the current (MSI) motherboard noise penetrates all the audio hardware,
onboard and soundcard. Couldn't stand it during quiet moments, it was
irritating.

Tried the SP/DIF and the noise is gone! The speakers were just reproducing
motherboard noise. I think one of the prior motherboards was Gigabyte, so
it's not just MSI.

Had to hot melt glue thee SP/DIF optical wire connections, to eliminate
popping at the 96 kHz setting. Hot melt glue is very easily and neatly
removed with 70% isopropyl alcohol (when things are unplugged).

Sounds great now!
A speaker upgrade is in order, when I get rich.

--

BTW this was another interesting reading:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-aud...70437-cutting-

xlr-ground-pin.html

and links this page

http://www.guitarcenter.com/VTG/Grou...6620.gc?CJAID=

10432687&CJPID=6155355&CJSID=jfr2bgtyf100s3dy00279