Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] SgreenP@MSN.com is offline

Default Cable Upgrade Suggestions

On Mar 3, 11:32 am, DougA wrote:
After spending months in our selection of a two channel system, we are ready
for the next step and want to upgrade our cables (XLR for CD to Amp, power
cords and speaker cables.)

This is the gear we chose:

YBA Passion 200
Focal Electra 1027 Be
Ayre CX-7

Could someone point in the direction of cable FAQs, reviews or make personal
recommendations?

douga

Yes I can. I have an all Ayre system (K1xe, V1xe, C1xe with
Vandersteen 5A speakers. I have found the absolute best cables.
Unbelievablly, they sound very much the same, although the price
difference is tremendous. Audioquest all Silver designs are
absolutely fabulous, but so is a cable called Anticable. I spent
months auditioning cables, and found these 2 to be the very best.
Cardas is extremely disappointing - their power cords are abysmal.
The best power cords available are the G&G Discoveries power cords
which can be baught from AudioConnection in Verona New Jersey. Go
online to get to all the websites.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Mar 3, 11:32 am, DougA wrote:
After spending months in our selection of a two channel system, we are ready
for the next step and want to upgrade our cables (XLR for CD to Amp, power
cords and speaker cables.)

This is the gear we chose:

YBA Passion 200
Focal Electra 1027 Be
Ayre CX-7

Could someone point in the direction of cable FAQs, reviews or make personal
recommendations?

douga

....by the way - Ayre equipment - all of it should be used with
balanced interconnects. They are built using balanced circuits. They
sound quite pooer using single ended interconnects. Some equipment is
built using single single ended circuitry, but they include XLR
connections to seem that they are "higher end" then the RCA's would
indicate. Surprisingly, these components sound better single ended
and you should use RCA interconnects for them.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] SgreenP@MSN.com is offline

On Mar 14, 10:49 pm, Chung wrote:
DougA wrote:
We ended up purchasing the AZ Silver Reference XLR interconnects.
A review can be read he
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...cousticzen.htm

We're happy for you that you are in a strong enough financial position
to spend that kind of money on cables.

Dispite all the talk of laws of physics and logic of cables you folks
mention, I was able to hear and feel more of the "music, rhythm and passion"
that cannot be quantified and measured.

Ever wonder why those feeling cannot be backed up by measurements and
therfore explained? Surely we can measure better than our ears can
detect, no? For instance, our test equipment can routinely measure
signal to noise ratios in excess of 120 dB, frequency responses to
gigahertz's with 0.01 dB of resolution, etc. A cable is really among the
simplest of electronic gear. If we don't understand how a cable works in
audio, what chance do we have of designing complex systems, like
cellular communication systems for instance?

Has anyone here tried high end cables in their home systems or are all the
arguments based on theory?

A lot of us have tried high-end cables. Some of us have tried controlled
testing: via carefully controlled listening tests or via measurements.
By the way, theory is an excellent place to base ones aruments on.

Are you saying that all of the high end magazines and reviewers who rave
about cables are full of beans?

In short, yes.

Are bought by the high end cable companies?

That I am not sure about. The raving can be simply due to lack of
understanding of the effects of perception bias, or lack of appreciation
for the importance of controlled testing when differences are subtle.
Ever read a review of cables where they actually show (a) measurement
results, or (b) controlled listening test results?

All audiophiles are wasting their money on high end cables?

Well, yes. But if you find happiness in high-end cables and do not mind
the expense, who are we to judge?

"DougA" wrote in message

After spending months in our selection of a two channel system, we are
ready
for the next step and want to upgrade our cables (XLR for CD to Amp, power
cords and speaker cables.)

This is the gear we chose:

YBA Passion 200
Focal Electra 1027 Be
Ayre CX-7

Could someone point in the direction of cable FAQs, reviews or make
personal
recommendations?

douga- Hide quoted text -

A problem with discussions like this is that lots of people give their
ideas with little experience to back up their points. Comments like
"surely we can test more accurately than we can hear is very false.
One has to listen only to a very good turntable with inaudible wow and
flutter (Rega P25 etc.) and then to a VPI Scoutmaster with the same
inaudible wow and flutter to hear the absolutely superiority of the
more expensive table. There are amps, preamps, and everything
electronic the like measurements that sound completely different. The
ear is the final arbeitor
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
René René is offline

On 14 Mar 2007 23:40:06 GMT, DougA wrote:

Dispite all the talk of laws of physics and logic of cables you folks
mention, I was able to hear and feel more of the "music, rhythm and passion"
that cannot be quantified and measured.

I too, can sometimes clearly hear the difference if other
interconnects or cables are placed.

The same improvement is sometimes incurred by taking out en replacing
the *same* cables again.

In short - re-seating the existing cables and interlinks may make a
remarkable difference.

(Disclaimer: My audio equipment is a hand picked, well serviced
assortment of very cheap, old, sometimes modified and secondhand
leftover stuff, - lovingly balanced to sound quite nice (to my ears).
I might actually not belong in this group..)

--
- René
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung Chung is offline

wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:49?pm, Chung wrote:

DougA wrote:

We ended up purchasing the AZ Silver Reference XLR interconnects.
A review can be read he
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...cousticzen.htm
Dispite all the talk of laws of physics and logic of cables you folks
mention, I was able to hear and feel more of the "music, rhythm and passion"
that cannot be quantified and measured.

Ever wonder why those feeling cannot be backed up by measurements and
therfore explained?

How do we know it *can't* be backed up by measurements?

The OP said so...Maybe you should ask the OP.

Surely we can measure better than our ears can
detect, no?

Indeed we can.

For instance, our test equipment can routinely measure
signal to noise ratios in excess of 120 dB, frequency responses to
gigahertz's with 0.01 dB of resolution, etc.

OK so has anyone done tests showing that cables have no measurable
effect within these tolerances? I was under the impression that there
were readily measurable differences between various cables. Are you
suggesting that SOTA measurements fail to detect any measurable
differences between cables?

You fail to understand one key issue. There may be differences in cable
length, inductance, capacitance, etc. What is important is the voltage
that is delivered to the load, be it speaker terminals or inputs of the
power amp. If two cables deliver the same voltage within tolerances that
we cannot differentiate (like 0.01dB difference in levels, etc.), then
the two cables must sound the same to us. Unless you claim to have
hearing acuity finer than those differences.

A cable is really among the
simplest of electronic gear. If we don't understand how a cable works in
audio, what chance do we have of designing complex systems, like
cellular communication systems for instance?

What does that have to do with anything? Just because they can be made
quite simply does not mean they are all free from distortion.

You don't understand the point. If we do not understand what difference
a cable makes to an audio signal, we would have no chance to be able to
design all those electronic systems that are orders of magnitude more
complex, that really push the science of transporting energy from one
point to another via cables or other media.

Scott

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Chung wrote:
we cannot differentiate (like 0.01dB difference in levels, etc.), then

more like 0.1 dB.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Mar 15, 11:37 pm, Chung wrote:
You don't understand the point. If we do not understand what difference
a cable makes to an audio signal, we would have no chance to be able to
design all those electronic systems that are orders of magnitude more
complex, that really push the science of transporting energy from one
point to another via cables or other media.

I have stayed out of this donnybrook until now, but two observations:

a) Those who have invested an obscene (or even a mere insane) amount
on cabling are required to believe that there are audible and
significant differences that are in direct proportion to the cost.
b) There will never be a meeting of the minds on this. Those who
simply do not hear the difference will seek proof that there is one.
"I hear it so it must be so" is not an acceptable proof to them.

Overall, I refer the assembled multitude to Clarke's Third Law: Any
sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

In the realm of Magic, either you 'get it' or you do not. Discussion
is futile.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Mar 15, 6:34 pm, wrote:
Comments like
"surely we can test more accurately than we can hear is very false.

In an age of electron microscopes, would you say that the human eye
can see things we can't measure?

In an age where cosmologists have used tiny ripples in temperature to
confirm the Big Bang hypothesis, would you say that our skin can feel
things that cannot be measured?

Then how in the world can you possibly believe that our ears can hear
things we cannot, in this day and age, mesure?

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

Comments like "surely we can test more
accurately than we can hear is very false. One has to
listen only to a very good turntable with inaudible wow
and flutter (Rega P25 etc.) and then to a VPI Scoutmaster
with the same inaudible wow and flutter to hear the
absolutely superiority of the more expensive table.

The fallacy here is very obvious. Flutter and wow are not the only
parameters that characterise the sonic performance of a turntable.

There are amps, preamps, and everything electronic the
like measurements that sound completely different.

This is a false claim because at some level of detail no two amps measure
the same. Heck, the left and right channels of stereo amps are generally
measurably different.

The ear is the final arbeitor.

No arguement there.

It is possible to *fully* characterize audio gear in such a way that
equipment that measures to be accurate enough to be sonically transparent,
can be tested by ear and found to be sonically transparent. Yes, this
means that some equipment not only sounds the same but can also pass a
straight-wire bypass test.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] Theporkygeorge@aol.com is offline

On Mar 15, 8:35�pm, Ed Seedhouse wrote:
On 15 Mar 2007 22:34:13 GMT, wrote:

A problem with discussions like this is that lots of people give their
ideas with little experience to back up their points. *Comments like
"surely we can test more accurately than we can hear is very false.
One has to listen only to a very good turntable with inaudible wow and
flutter (Rega P25 etc.) and then to a VPI Scoutmaster with the same
inaudible wow and flutter to hear the absolutely superiority of the
more expensive table. *There are amps, preamps, and everything
electronic the like measurements that sound completely different. *The
ear is the final arbeitor

And yet when the eye is blocked the ear becomes unable to tell the
difference. *Strange, that.

Really? You have done or know of DBTs or even SBTs between a Rega P25
and a VPI Scoutmaster where no differences were detected? Or are you
just making assumptions here?

Scott

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Mar 15, 8:37?pm, Chung wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:49?pm, Chung wrote:

DougA wrote:

We ended up purchasing the AZ Silver Reference XLR interconnects.
A review can be read he
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...cousticzen.htm
Dispite all the talk of laws of physics and logic of cables you folks
mention, I was able to hear and feel more of the "music, rhythm and passion"
that cannot be quantified and measured.

Ever wonder why those feeling cannot be backed up by measurements and
therfore explained?

How do we know it *can't* be backed up by measurements?

The OP said so...Maybe you should ask the OP.

Oh you are taking his word for it? then there is nothing more to
discuss. cables sound different.

Surely we can measure better than our ears can
detect, no?

Indeed we can.

For instance, our test equipment can routinely measure
signal to noise ratios in excess of 120 dB, frequency responses to
gigahertz's with 0.01 dB of resolution, etc.

OK so has anyone done tests showing that cables have no measurable
effect within these tolerances? I was under the impression that there
were readily measurable differences between various cables. Are you
suggesting that SOTA measurements fail to detect any measurable
differences between cables?

You fail to understand one key issue.

No, I'm just calling you guys on what I see as a straw man argument by
inference. The laws of physics have been envoked and our superior
ability measure beyond the human thresholds of hearing have been
envoked. The thing that wasn't mentioned is that those very laws of
physics actual dictate that not only do cables distort an audio signal
they *must* do so by those very laws envoked. It also isn't mentioned
that those very sensitive measuring devices actually do measure
differences between cables as dictated by those laws of physics. That
is the real irony. Lets talk about physics and sensitive measurments
let's
just casually ignore what they really say.

There may be differences in cable
length, inductance, capacitance, etc.

Gotta love that "etc." It could mean a lot of things.

What is important is the voltage
that is delivered to the load, be it speaker terminals or inputs of the
power amp. If two cables deliver the same voltage within tolerances that
we cannot differentiate (like 0.01dB difference in levels, etc.), then
the two cables must sound the same to us.

But alas they don't deliever the same exact signal. Certainly not
within a 0.01 dB tolerance.

Unless you claim to have
hearing acuity finer than those differences.

No my claim is quite simple. The posturing about the "laws of physics"
and the ability to measure beyond the thresholds of human hearing are
a meaningless burning straw man because the "laws of physics" dictate
that cables will distort an audio signal and the measurements that
extend beyond the threshold of human hearing bear that fact out. Once
those facts are disclosed all the hand waving about those measurements
and the laws of physics are reduced to a non-argument at best. THE
ISSUE. The ONLY issue is whether or not the real world distortions
(predicted by "the laws of physics" and supported by the imperical
measurements) are within or beyond the threshold of human hearing.
That is my point. Nothing more nothing less. If there are studies that
have measured all parameters of cable distortion and there is
sufficient listening tests for the thresholds of human hearing for all
those distortions then we have something to talk about. But no one is
talking about that. Why not?

A cable is really among the
simplest of electronic gear. If we don't understand how a cable works in
audio, what chance do we have of designing complex systems, like
cellular communication systems for instance?

What does that have to do with anything? Just because they can be made
quite simply does not mean they are all free from distortion.

You don't understand the point.

No I do understand the point. there is an apparent attempt to
misrepresent the laws of physics and the measured evidence of cable
distortion. This is just another angle. Just because something is
simple doesn't mean it is distortion free. Plain and simple.

If we do not understand what difference
a cable makes to an audio signal, we would have no chance to be able to
design all those electronic systems that are orders of magnitude more complex,

That is simply not true. Are you suggesting that *All* the distortions
that happen in an audio cable had to be fully known and understood
before anyone could design any circut? I think that is an absurd
claim.

that really push the science of transporting energy from one
point to another via cables or other media.

In the end none of my questions were answered. Funny that. I beleive
they were avoided because the answers would expose the burning straw
man for what it is.

Scott

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
UC UC is offline

On Mar 3, 11:32 am, DougA wrote:
After spending months in our selection of a two channel system, we are ready
for the next step and want to upgrade our cables (XLR for CD to Amp, power
cords and speaker cables.)

This is the gear we chose:

YBA Passion 200
Focal Electra 1027 Be
Ayre CX-7

Could someone point in the direction of cable FAQs, reviews or make personal
recommendations?

douga

Monster Cable brand is widely available, not excessively expensive,
and good-sounding.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"bob" wrote in message
On Mar 15, 6:34 pm, wrote:
Comments like
"surely we can test more accurately than we can hear is very false.

In an age of electron microscopes, would you say that the human eye
can see things we can't measure?

In an age where cosmologists have used tiny ripples in temperature to
confirm the Big Bang hypothesis, would you say that our skin can feel
things that cannot be measured?

Then how in the world can you possibly believe that our ears can hear
things we cannot, in this day and age, mesure?

bob

Most of us wouldn't....but we might say that there is not consensus on
*what* should be measured....no verified science tying the measured
phenomenon with subjective aural ratings when it comes to reproducing music.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ed Seedhouse Ed Seedhouse is offline

On 16 Mar 2007 21:16:10 GMT, "Peter Wieck" wrote:

b) There will never be a meeting of the minds on this. Those who
simply do not hear the difference will seek proof that there is one.
"I hear it so it must be so" is not an acceptable proof to them.

First, it is a dubious assumption that anyone's goal here is a "meeting
of minds". The discussion is just a discussion, there is no requirement
that anyone "win" or "lose".

Second, the attitude that '"I hear it so it must be so" is not proof',
is merely a restatement of the attitude that pretty well lies behind all
of science. Some of us know how easily we can be fooled, and therefore
take precautions against that. Some of us seem to think that we cannot
be fooled but are in fact, based on the available evidence, the most
foolable of all of us.

But "I hear it so it must be so" is certainly not a scientific
scientific attitude, and last I saw it was the scientists and engineers
who have given us the ability we have to bring a pretty good
approximation of live musical performances into our living rooms.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] Theporkygeorge@aol.com is offline

On Mar 12, 8:31�pm, "bob" wrote:
On Mar 12, 6:14 pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

One of the problems is that the persons in question aren't degreed engineers
and AFAIK don't even want to be assciated with the enginering profession in
any way.

For example, some of the worst figurative hellfire and damnation that has
ever been leveled at the LP format *can be found in the JAES archives,
written the chief scientists of companies that were leading producers of LP
media or playback equipment. Of course, the writing lacks specfics that lay
people have been quick to demand, and it is written up in such a way that it
generates minimal excitment.

The JAES paper laying out the lack of need for higher sample rates than 44
KHz *was old when the SACD was new, but remains unrebutted.

Nobody should be surprised when people who lack appropriate respect for
basic engineering principles fail to *perceive engineering papers as they
were intended to be understood.

The problem goes much deeper than this. To believe, for example, that
different brands of measurably similar cables can be audibly
different, you have to believe that physicists' understanding of how
electrical signals pass through wires is fundamentally wrong. It is
scientific denialism, pure and simple.

Do tell. What exactly do you mean by "measurably similar"? and how
does that mena one would have to believe physicists understanding of
how electrical signals pass through wire is fundamentally wrong? Are
you saying that physicists believe that cables pass audio signals with
no measurable distortion? I don't believe that is true.

Scott

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung Chung is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:
On Mar 15, 11:37 pm, Chung wrote:
You don't understand the point. If we do not understand what difference
a cable makes to an audio signal, we would have no chance to be able to
design all those electronic systems that are orders of magnitude more
complex, that really push the science of transporting energy from one
point to another via cables or other media.

I have stayed out of this donnybrook until now, but two observations:

a) Those who have invested an obscene (or even a mere insane) amount
on cabling are required to believe that there are audible and
significant differences that are in direct proportion to the cost.
b) There will never be a meeting of the minds on this. Those who
simply do not hear the difference will seek proof that there is one.
"I hear it so it must be so" is not an acceptable proof to them.

On the other hand, there may be those who have not made up their minds
on the subject, and would want to understand better...

Overall, I refer the assembled multitude to Clarke's Third Law: Any
sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

So you think an interconnect audio cable qualifies as "sufficiently
advanced technology"?

In the realm of Magic, either you 'get it' or you do not. Discussion
is futile.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Mar 17, 10:42 am, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

....no verified science tying the measured
phenomenon with subjective aural ratings when it comes to reproducing music.

Of course there is, gobs of it. See any DBT done with music. See Floyd
Toole and Sean Olive's work rating speakers. See all of the things you
don't want to see, Harry.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Ed Seedhouse" wrote in message
[...]

Very true. But it needs also to be pointed out that it was the audiophiles
and audio reveiwers who pointed out the audible flaws in the audio
technology that promised "perfect sound forever", first in early transistor
amplifiers, and later in early CD players. And it was audio reveiwers who
developed a subjective language to describe what they heard, so that audio
engineers knew where to focus their attention. It takes both good
engineering knowledge and good listening skills to create superior audio
equipment, even if the engineering alone is sufficient in some other fields.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Mar 17, 7:43�am, Ed Seedhouse wrote:
On 16 Mar 2007 21:16:10 GMT, "Peter Wieck" wrote:

b) There will never be a meeting of the minds on this. Those who
simply do not hear the difference will seek proof that there is one.
"I hear it so it must be so" is not an acceptable proof to them.

First, it is a dubious assumption that anyone's goal here is a "meeting
of minds". *The discussion is just a discussion, there is no requirement
that anyone "win" or "lose".

Nice to hear you say it. I agree. The idea that there must be a
meeting of the minds is..well...a bit creepy.

Second, the attitude that '"I hear it so it must be so" is not proof',

You are right. But then this begs the question, does one need proof to
merely have an opinion about their subjective experiences?

is merely a restatement of the attitude that pretty well lies behind all
of science. *Some of us know how easily we can be fooled, and therefore
take precautions against that.

Hmmm, OK. So what precautions do you take against being fooled when
you make purchase choices in audio?

*Some of us seem to think that we cannot
be fooled but are in fact, based on the available evidence, the most
foolable of all of us.

Where is the evidence of that? That attitude affects vulnerability to
bias affects in audio?

But "I hear it so it must be so" is certainly not a scientific
scientific attitude,

"Scientific attitude?" Science is a process not an attitude.

and last I saw it was the scientists and engineers
who have given us the ability we have to bring a pretty good
approximation of live musical performances into our living rooms.

And yet many of those folks were what we would call subjectivists.

Scott�

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Mar 17, 9:46 am, Chung wrote:

So you think an interconnect audio cable qualifies as "sufficiently
advanced technology"?

Um... no. There are those who would wish it so, however. And under
those conditions, the only consistent explanation is Magic. And as
there is no dearth of logical fallacies herein, one may as well reason
from the specific to the general. If immeasurable (magical) properties
are attributed to an item, then it is either highly advanced
technology undiscernable using presently available methods, or...
magic.

Either way, it ain't nohow measurable, quantifiable or (and therefore
not) definable.

Whatever legends I may or may not believe about Audio, good quality
cables above a certain very easily achieved plateau are inaudible in
my experience and my opinion. Othere believe otherwise. That is there
privilege. It is my privilege not to believe them. When I am in an
advisory role, I always tell people to start with the speakers, then
the signal sources, then the amplification, and then distant and last
the interconnects. $500 additional put into speakers with cabling at
$50, will be far more audible than $50 additional put into speakers
with cabling at $500.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Mar 17, 1:22 pm, "Peter Wieck" wrote:
On Mar 17, 9:46 am, Chung wrote:

So you think an interconnect audio cable qualifies as "sufficiently
advanced technology"?

Um... no. There are those who would wish it so, however. And under
those conditions, the only consistent explanation is Magic. And as
there is no dearth of logical fallacies herein, one may as well reason
from the specific to the general. If immeasurable (magical) properties
are attributed to an item, then it is either highly advanced
technology undiscernable using presently available methods, or...
magic.

Either way, it ain't nohow measurable, quantifiable or (and therefore
not) definable.

Or "design-able." Which is why it's so funny when defenders of high-
end cables claim the prices reflect R&D costs.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"René" wrote:

DougA wrote:

Dispite all the talk of laws of physics and logic of cables you folks
mention, I was able to hear and feel more of the "music, rhythm and passion"
that cannot be quantified and measured.

I too, can sometimes clearly hear the difference if other
interconnects or cables are placed.

The same improvement is sometimes incurred by taking out en replacing
the *same* cables again.

In short - re-seating the existing cables and interlinks may make a
remarkable difference.

Only if they were originally RUBBISH !

The reticence of the hi-fi industry to adopt decent reliable connectors like XLRs
as used in pro-audio is very telling.

Graham
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:

Chung wrote:
we cannot differentiate (like 0.01dB difference in levels, etc.), then

more like 0.1 dB.

0.01 dB is measurable.

It needs around 0.3 dB to be audible by a very highly trained ear..

Graham
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Mar 17, 10:20?am, "bob" wrote:
On Mar 17, 10:42 am, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

....no verified science tying the measured
phenomenon with subjective aural ratings when it comes to reproducing music.

Of course there is, gobs of it. See any DBT done with music.

Please cite the peer reviewed published DBTs of cables.

See Floyd
Toole and Sean Olive's work rating speakers.

Speakers=cables? I don't think so.

See all of the things you
don't want to see

Show me. I'm just not finding it.

Scott

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
ScottW ScottW is offline

wrote in message ...

A problem with discussions like this is that lots of people give their
ideas with little experience to back up their points. Comments like
"surely we can test more accurately than we can hear is very false.
One has to listen only to a very good turntable with inaudible wow and
flutter (Rega P25 etc.) and then to a VPI Scoutmaster with the same
inaudible wow and flutter to hear the absolutely superiority of the
more expensive table.

There is a lot more to TT performance than wow and flutter which
I can't recall hearing since I ditched my BSR changer for an AR-XA
at the age of 12.

ScottW
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

On Mar 12, 8:31?pm, "bob" wrote:

On Mar 12, 6:14 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

[...]

Have similar effective series L, C, and R, equivalent quality factors for
the L and C, and similar frequency-dependence of L, C, and R. Have
effective shielding. Be capable of maintaining a good grounding system.

and how does that mean one would have to
believe physicists understanding of how electrical
signals pass through wire is fundamentally wrong?

The theory of passage of audio signals through short cables is thought to be
well-understood. The performance of a short audio cable is essentially
described by the parameters I listed above.

Are you saying that physicists believe that cables pass audio
signals with no measurable distortion?

No, it is well known that audio signals can undergo all kinds of measurable
changes when they pass through cables.

There is usually very little nonlinear distortion, but there can easily be
measurable amounts of linear distortion. However, the measurable amounts of
linear distortion are often so small as to be irrelevant to sound quality.

I don't believe that is true.

I see it as a straw man.

Scott

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in
message

Steven Sullivan wrote:

Chung wrote:
we cannot differentiate (like 0.01dB difference in
levels, etc.), then

more like 0.1 dB.

0.01 dB is measurable.

Agreed. I've done it many times.

It needs around 0.3 dB to be audible by a very highly
trained ear..

Agreed. I've done it many times. However, this takes careful close
comparisons that audiophiles rarely ever do.

The audibility of a change is highly dependent on the range of frequencies
that the change effects. 5 dB at 20 KHz is moot, 5 dB over the 20-20 KHz
range is can be pretty signficant. But, if someone says that a sound is too
soft or too loud, you may have to change the levels by 5 dB 20-20 KHz for
them to think you've made a significant change.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

"Ed Seedhouse" wrote in message

But "I hear it so it must be so" is certainly not a
scientific scientific attitude, and last I saw it was
the scientists and engineers who have given us the
ability we have to bring a pretty good approximation of
live musical performances into our living rooms.

Very true. But it needs also to be pointed out that it
was the audiophiles and audio reveiwers who pointed out
the audible flaws in the audio technology that promised
"perfect sound forever", first in early transistor
amplifiers, and later in early CD players.

Straw man arguments. There was never a claim that early SS amps had "perfect
sound forever", and their audible flaws were widely discussed. However,
their audible flaws were minor compared to their lack of reliablity.

The claim that the CD format offered "perfect sound forever" was part of an
advertising pitch. Anybody who confuses advertising pitches with adequate
technical statements of equipment performance deserves what they get.

However, I have a working sample of a CDP 101 that appears to be
well-maintained. This was one of the two original CD players. I defy anybody
to detect its insertion into an audio system playing back typical
recordings.

And it was
audio reveiwers who developed a subjective language to
describe what they heard, so that audio engineers knew
where to focus their attention.

Actually, the audio reviewers were just aping a descriptive language that
was first developed by recording engineers and sound system installation
engineers.

It takes both good
engineering knowledge and good listening skills to create
superior audio equipment, even if the engineering alone
is sufficient in some other fields.

As a rule audio journalists do not use proper descriptive teminology. They
tend to write poetry, not usuable descriptive reports. There is an AES
standard, AES22 that lays out a usable set of descriptive terms.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

You are right. But then this begs the question, does one
need proof to merely have an opinion about their
subjective experiences?

Not if they don't wish to have credibility for their opinions.

If a person wishes to have an opinion, then they are certainly free to have
that opinion. If people wish that opinion to be credible to others, and if
that opinon is such of a nature that can raise a controversy, then proof or
at least further evidence-gathering may be appropriate.

is merely a restatement of the attitude that pretty well
lies behind all of science. Some of us know how easily
we can be fooled, and therefore take precautions against
that.

Hmmm, OK. So what precautions do you take against being
fooled when you make purchase choices in audio?

I base my purchases on both technical and subjective evaluations. Wherever
possible, I use bias controls in my subjective evaluations.

Case in point - I just bought a Microtrack digital recorder. I bought it
without auditioning it, based on its technical specs, the credibility of the
organization that published those specs, and several formal and informal
reviews of the product.

BTW, I expect it to provide essentially perfect sound for 3-5 years. ;-)

I haven't finished my formal and informal evaluation of the Microtrack, but
it seems to be suitable for the purpose that I purchased it for. I do have
return privileges with a 15% restocking fee, but based on making about 25
recordings with it, I don't think that will happen.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

On Mar 15, 8:37?pm, Chung wrote:
wrote:

On Mar 14, 7:49?pm, Chung
wrote:

For instance, our test equipment can routinely measure
signal to noise ratios in excess of 120 dB, frequency
etc.

OK so has anyone done tests showing that cables have no
measurable effect within these tolerances?

An important point seems to have been missed.

The stated tolerances were provided to show that we can measure far smaller
differences than we can hear.

Audible tolerances are far greater.

No, I'm just calling you guys on what I see as a straw
man argument by inference.

You mean like the straw man that I dealt with above?

The laws of physics have been
envoked and our superior ability measure beyond the human
thresholds of hearing have been envoked.

So far so good. However it is apparent that the point that was obviously
being made was misunderstood.

The thing that
wasn't mentioned is that those very laws of physics
actual dictate that not only do cables distort an audio
signal they *must* do so by those very laws envoked.

Missing the point that just because there is measurable distortion, does not
mean that said distortion is audible.

It also isn't mentioned that those very sensitive measuring
devices actually do measure differences between cables as
dictated by those laws of physics.

If by distortion, you are using the common meaning, which is actually
nonlinear distortion, then neither the laws of physics nor actual
measurements suggest that cables have audible nonlinear distortion.

That is the real
irony. Lets talk about physics and sensitive measurments
let's just casually ignore what they really say.

No, there is an implication of relevance which seems to being swept under
some figurative carpet.

There may be differences in cable
length, inductance, capacitance, etc.

Gotta love that "etc." It could mean a lot of things.

I provided a complete list in another post.

What is important is the voltage
that is delivered to the load, be it speaker terminals
or inputs of the
power amp. If two cables deliver the same voltage within
tolerances that
we cannot differentiate (like 0.01dB difference in
levels, etc.), then
the two cables must sound the same to us.

But alas they don't deliever the same exact signal.
Certainly not within a 0.01 dB tolerance.

There is no need to do so. The 0.01 dB tolerance is irrelevant to
audibility.

Unless you claim to have
hearing acuity finer than those differences.

No my claim is quite simple. The posturing about the
"laws of physics" and the ability to measure beyond the
thresholds of human hearing are a meaningless burning
straw man because the "laws of physics" dictate that
cables will distort an audio signal and the measurements
that extend beyond the threshold of human hearing bear
that fact out.

However, the fact that the *only* measured issues are far less than human
audibility *is* relevant.

Once those facts are disclosed all the
hand waving about those measurements and the laws of
physics are reduced to a non-argument at best. THE ISSUE.
The ONLY issue is whether or not the real world
distortions (predicted by "the laws of physics" and
supported by the imperical measurements) are within or
beyond the threshold of human hearing. That is my point.

This point is irrelevant to the immediate discussion at hand, which was a
discussion as to whether we can measure more sensitively than we can hear.

It was claimed that we can hear more sensitively than we can measure, when
the facts support the exact opposite conclusion.

Nothing more nothing less. If there are studies that have
measured all parameters of cable distortion and there is
sufficient listening tests for the thresholds of human
hearing for all those distortions then we have something
to talk about. But no one is talking about that. Why not?

Because someone raised a different issue.

A cable is really among the
simplest of electronic gear. If we don't understand
how a cable works in audio, what chance do we have of
designing complex systems, like cellular communication
systems for instance?

What does that have to do with anything? Just because
they can be made quite simply does not mean they are
all free from distortion.

You don't understand the point.

No I do understand the point.

No, another point was brought in when discussion of the first point was
incomplete. I see no response to Chung's post from "DougA".

This whole discussion of audibility is currently out of order.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

On Mar 15, 8:35?pm, Ed Seedhouse
wrote:
[...]

I would be happy to conduct a full objective and subjective comparison of
these two turntables, were they available to me for evaluation.

In fact there are few if any proper comparisons of turntables, tone arms,
and cartrdiges by the high end audio press. I think that Stereophile did one
a few years back, but that was apparently a one-time event. I also don't
know how thorough that comparison was, but I'm quite sure given the
continuing angst at Stereophile over proper subjective comparison techniques
that none were done.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

Most of us wouldn't....but we might say that there is not
consensus on *what* should be measured....no verified
science tying the measured phenomenon with subjective
aural ratings when it comes to reproducing music.

Actually there is a consensus, its just not a perfect consensus. One problem
is that there is an ongoing controversy, largely fueled by ignorance of
audio by consumers.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"ScottW" wrote in message

wrote in message

A problem with discussions like this is that lots of
people give their ideas with little experience to back
up their points. Comments like "surely we can test more
accurately than we can hear is very false. One has to
listen only to a very good turntable with inaudible wow
and flutter (Rega P25 etc.) and then to a VPI
Scoutmaster with the same inaudible wow and flutter to
hear the absolutely superiority of the more expensive
table.

There is a lot more to TT performance than wow and
flutter which
I can't recall hearing since I ditched my BSR changer for
an AR-XA
at the age of 12.

It's quite possible for an AR-XA to have audible wow and flutter. I'm
surprised you never heard it.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"UC" wrote in message

On Mar 3, 11:32 am, DougA wrote:
After spending months in our selection of a two channel
system, we are ready for the next step and want to
upgrade our cables (XLR for CD to Amp, power cords and
speaker cables.)

This is the gear we chose:

YBA Passion 200
Focal Electra 1027 Be
Ayre CX-7

Could someone point in the direction of cable FAQs,
reviews or make personal recommendations?

douga

Monster Cable brand is widely available, not excessively
expensive, and good-sounding.

Actually, just about everything Monster Cable sells is wildly overpriced
unless bought at clearance sales. MCM Electronics often sells Monster Cable
products that are being cleared out.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung Chung is offline

wrote:
On Mar 15, 8:37?pm, Chung wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:49?pm, Chung wrote:
DougA wrote:
We ended up purchasing the AZ Silver Reference XLR interconnects.
A review can be read he
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...cousticzen.htm
Dispite all the talk of laws of physics and logic of cables you folks
mention, I was able to hear and feel more of the "music, rhythm and passion"
that cannot be quantified and measured.
Ever wonder why those feeling cannot be backed up by measurements and
therfore explained?
How do we know it *can't* be backed up by measurements?

The OP said so...Maybe you should ask the OP.

Oh you are taking his word for it? then there is nothing more to
discuss. cables sound different.

OK, it seems that you don't really understand my point at all. I raised
the question "Ever wonder why those feelings cannot be backed up by
meaasurements?" since the OP made that statement, to bring the point up
that perhaps those feelings were NOT actually based on the actual
performance differences in cables. You somehow interpreted that as me
taking his word for it, that I am agreeing with him that cables sound
different, and hence there is nothing more to discuss.

Given your consistent lack of understanding on what points are being
made, and your inability to follow logic, there is really nothing more
to discuss.

(snip)
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] mpresley@earthlink.net is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

I would be happy to conduct a full objective and subjective comparison of
these two turntables, were they available to me for evaluation.

In fact there are few if any proper comparisons of turntables, tone arms,
and cartrdiges by the high end audio press. I think that Stereophile did
one a few years back, but that was apparently a one-time event. I also
don't know how thorough that comparison was, but I'm quite sure given the
continuing angst at Stereophile over proper subjective comparison
techniques that none were done.

There is no "simple" way to really A-B turntables. It is not like passing a
signal through two electronic items, matching levels, and then simply
switching back and forth.

Usually, one just spends big bucks on something new, and then pronounces
that the newer item "blows away" the old. In the old days (if I remember
correctly), Linn demonstrated their "AR-like" suspended deck with a
competing Japanese DD. At that time they used the Keith Monks tonearm
which allowed swapping the entire arm tube/cartridge assembly (the KM arm
tube was sunk in a vat of mercury and could easily be lifted off). But
even this was far from a controlled test.

Few "high end" arms have detachable shells, these days. The ones that do
are very expensive. I suppose it would be possible to set up two different
turntables with, say, two identical Ikeda (think FR) arms, swap headshells
and use the same record. But then the test would not have the advantage of
quick comparison.

The old Audio Magazine tests measured for wow and flutter, speed stability,
and rumble. Is anyone doing that now?

Today, a high end turntable is more a work of art. It is difficult to not
believe that a chrome and lucite deck selling for 5 to 10 large is not
somehow better than, say, a Technics SL-1200 that looks pretty industrial
by comparison.

Finally, often those in the hi-fi press now writing about these things are
the same people who hear big differences in a few feet of mystery wire.
How credible are they? For many reasons, it is really hard to get a handle
on this topic in order to make any reasonable sense out of it.

mp
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung Chung is offline

wrote:
snip

A problem with discussions like this is that lots of people give their
ideas with little experience to back up their points.

If you are talking about those who believe in cable sound or power cord
sound and try to explain their beliefs in a technical manner, you're
probably right. In fact, below there you gave a perfect example...

Comments like
"surely we can test more accurately than we can hear is very false.

How so?
One has to listen only to a very good turntable with inaudible wow and
flutter (Rega P25 etc.) and then to a VPI Scoutmaster with the same
inaudible wow and flutter to hear the absolutely superiority of the
more expensive table.

You can only draw the (somewhat shaky) conclusion that the difference in
sound from those two turntables might not be due to the wow and flutter
specs. That does not in any way prove that we cannot test more
accurately than we can hear.

In fact, if there is any audible difference, it has to show up in
measurements: record the two outputs digitally and compare waveforms. If
differences are greater than thresholds of audibility, then you or
someone will hear differences.

BTW, how do you know that the wow and flutter performance of those two
are identical, or indistinguishable, if you don't use measurements? You
take the manufacturers' specs for granted?

There are amps, preamps, and everything
electronic the like measurements that sound completely different.

Then you are not making the right measurements, or understanding the
measurements.

The
ear is the final arbeitor

Whatever that means...but make sure you give your ears the best chances
of being able to detect differences.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung Chung is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message

On Mar 12, 8:31?pm, "bob" wrote:

On Mar 12, 6:14 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

[...]

And more importantly, the voltage waveforms reaching the load (speakers,
power amp, etc.) are sufficiently similar to be below thresholds of
audibility of differences.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Mar 18, 7:15�am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

Do tell. What exactly do you mean by "measurably
similar"?

Have similar effective series L, C, and R, equivalent quality factors for
the L and C, and similar frequency-dependence of L, C, and R. *Have
effective shielding. Be capable of maintaining a good grounding system.

and how does that mean one would have to
believe physicists understanding of how electrical
signals pass through wire is fundamentally wrong?

The theory of passage of audio signals through short cables is thought to be
well-understood. The performance of a short audio cable is essentially
described by the parameters I listed above.

Sorry but that does not answer the question about how we would have to
believe physicists' are wrong about how a cable passes a signal to
believe that a cable can distort a signal.

Are you *saying that physicists believe that cables pass audio
signals with no measurable distortion?

No, it is well known that audio signals can undergo all kinds of measurable
changes when they pass through cables.

BINGO. Correct answer. So all the hand waving about the "laws of
physics" and the fact that we have ways of measuring signal that are
far more sensitive than uman hearing is a burning straw man and
plainly misleading because in fact the laws of physics dictates that a
cable should distort an audio signal and the measurements confirm
that. Thank you.

Scott