Chris Campbell

Default cleaning aluminum faceplates

Actually, my question isn't about cleaning so much as about making
pretty. The aluminum faceplates on "silver" '70s receivers and
tuners: are they lacquered? When I clean them up (soap and water)
there is often visible marring left. What can I do to make the
surface look more uniform? I wondered about trying an application of
Armorall but decided to avoid that unitl making an inquiry.

Chris Campbell
Dave Platt

Actually, my question isn't about cleaning so much as about making
pretty. The aluminum faceplates on "silver" '70s receivers and
tuners: are they lacquered? When I clean them up (soap and water)
there is often visible marring left. What can I do to make the
surface look more uniform? I wondered about trying an application of
Armorall but decided to avoid that unitl making an inquiry.

I suspect that they are probably anodized (an electrochemical
treatment which leaves the surface covered with a fairly uniform but
somewhat porous layer of protective oxide).

From what I see out on the Net, one problem with anodized aluminum is
that crud can get into the pores in the oxide surface. Your
soap-and-water cleaning may not be getting all of the crud out (or
might even be leaving minerals behind at the end of the rinse which
could leave the marred appearance - try using a final distilled-water
rinse).

It might be worth seeing if an immersion in a good-sized (industrial)
ultrasonic cleaning machine helps - it might get some additional
material out of the pores.

There seem to be some commercial products on the market which are
intended to clean anodized surfaces without stripping the anodized
layer, and to protect the resulting surface once cleaned. I don't
know how well these work.

One significant problem with any "deep cleaning" process is that
there's a very real risk that it'd remove the labeling from the
faceplates!

You could try simply cleaning a panel as well as is practical, and
then spray it with a protective lacquer. This might or might not
produce results which you'd approve of - practice on some junker
panels first, and realize that it'll reduce the value of the component
to collectors.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

dickydoo

Try a citrus based cleaner and cotton wool,but you may remove the labelling
so be careful.
"Chris Campbell" wrote in message
om...
Actually, my question isn't about cleaning so much as about making
pretty. The aluminum faceplates on "silver" '70s receivers and
tuners: are they lacquered? When I clean them up (soap and water)
there is often visible marring left. What can I do to make the
surface look more uniform? I wondered about trying an application of
Armorall but decided to avoid that unitl making an inquiry.

Chris Campbell

FS/FT: Eclipse 12" 88120.4 Aluminum Sub Darren Shady Car Audio 0 March 29th 04 06:36 AM
Advice on best record cleaning system LnArth High End Audio 4 December 21st 03 04:17 PM
cleaning input jacks Tommi Pro Audio 2 December 20th 03 03:09 PM
Cedar -vs- Magix Audio Cleaning Lab on high frequency sounds Doc Pro Audio 8 November 27th 03 12:25 PM
questions r.e. cleaning records Albert McDonnell Pro Audio 28 November 23rd 03 07:39 AM