The Lizard

Default Bass Blockers, and Radio Shack

GregS wrote:

Nonpolar caps are made from polar caps. Just put two back to back,
pos together. Divide the individual capacitance rating by 2, and use the voltage rating of one
to determine power capability. Don't go under 50 volters. 100 volts is good.

greg

Have you been smoking crack? God help anyone that listens to this...

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/

SkinnyBoy

Umm.. he is right.. you're the one smoking something..
--
SkinnyBoy
CarAudioForum.com - Usenet Gateway w/over half a million post online!

Eddie Runner

My dear buddy Lizzy!

You *CAN* make a nonpolar cap by putting two polar caps back to back!!
I have done it a zillion times when making bass blockers or xovers!

Eddie Runner
Man of Experience!
TeamROCS member from the beginning!!
http://www.installer.com/tech/
http://www.teamrocs.com

The Lizard wrote:

GregS wrote:

Nonpolar caps are made from polar caps. Just put two back to back,
pos together. Divide the individual capacitance rating by 2, and use the voltage rating of one
to determine power capability. Don't go under 50 volters. 100 volts is good.

greg

Have you been smoking crack? God help anyone that listens to this...

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/

Eddie Runner

I think Lizzard actually agrees with me, but Greg posted it a little
strange saying " Nonpolar caps are made from polar caps." which
is probably what Lizzard disagreed with....

YOU CAN make a nonpolar cap using two polar caps
BUT, I am not sure that non polar caps ARE MADE from the factory that way....

I can see where there could be a missunderstanding....

Eddie Runner
http://www.twfer.com

The Lizard wrote:

GregS wrote:

Nonpolar caps are made from polar caps. Just put two back to back,
pos together. Divide the individual capacitance rating by 2, and use

the voltage rating of one
to determine power capability. Don't go under 50 volters. 100 volts is

good.

greg

Have you been smoking crack? God help anyone that listens to this...

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/

The Lizard

Eddie Runner wrote:
My dear buddy Lizzy!

You *CAN* make a nonpolar cap by putting two polar caps back to back!!
I have done it a zillion times when making bass blockers or xovers!

You *CAN* make them yes, but they are not "non polar". The are simply bi
directional. I'm sure you can waddle on over to an oscilliscope and see
the adverse effect on the waveform this "rigging" causes.

If this were power rectification, that would be one thing, but when you
have to listen to this, I wouldn't go around telling people to purpously
add modulated distortion to their music.

Eddie, there's all sorts of half-assed rigging going on in your shop. I
would'nt be so quick to mention it.

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/

The Lizard

-E-F-F-E-N-D-I- wrote:
Finally the mighty Godzilla falls to his death. Eat **** biatch.!

Shouldn't you be jerking off a priest?

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/

The Lizard

SkinnyBoy wrote:
Umm.. he is right.. you're the one smoking something..

Uhm...no, he's not.

How about you take two diodes and put them together. Does that suddenly
make it a non diode?

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/

Eddie Runner

Liz

I hate to pick on you (I was trying to be nice to you since you
decided to rejoin us here on RAC), but CAPACITORS and DIODES are
completely different, for you to compare them only shows your
Circuit City training classes were FULL OF CRAP!!
(no wonder Circuit City fired you!!)

You ought to stay with things your good at! Like being a change boy
in a aundromat!! ha ha OOOPS, you got fired from that job too, I
almost forgot....!!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Lizzypooh = Putz

The Lizard wrote:

SkinnyBoy wrote:
Umm.. he is right.. you're the one smoking something..

Uhm...no, he's not.

How about you take two diodes and put them together. Does that suddenly
make it a non diode?

Eddie Runner

Lizardo!
You do need to get out more....

I give you some of my tech papers so you can put them on
the teamROCS website, you take the name technical director
and then you go APE**** all over the place with bad information!

My suggestion to you is to forget that CIRCUIT CITY TECH TRAINING
you went though before they FIRED YOU... and get some REAL info
before you start running your mouth .... !!!

Eddie Runner
The real technical force behind our so called Technical director....!!
http://www.teamrocs.com

The Lizard wrote:

Eddie Runner wrote:
My dear buddy Lizzy!

You *CAN* make a nonpolar cap by putting two polar caps back to back!!
I have done it a zillion times when making bass blockers or xovers!

You *CAN* make them yes, but they are not "non polar". The are simply bi
directional. I'm sure you can waddle on over to an oscilliscope and see
the adverse effect on the waveform this "rigging" causes.

If this were power rectification, that would be one thing, but when you
have to listen to this, I wouldn't go around telling people to purpously
add modulated distortion to their music.

Eddie, there's all sorts of half-assed rigging going on in your shop. I
would'nt be so quick to mention it.

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/

The Lizard

Eddie Runner wrote:
Liz

I hate to pick on you (I was trying to be nice to you since you
decided to rejoin us here on RAC), but CAPACITORS and DIODES are
completely different, for you to compare them only shows your

At least you're capable of figuring out that it was only a 'comparison'.
However, Eddie, what you fail to understand is that a modern
electrolytic capacitor and a diode have much in common. They both are
created by depositing a thin film of metal oxide as a layer on a metal
plate. In the case of an electrolytic capacitor (most of which nowadays
do not actually contain an electrolyte), the metal oxide creates a
dielectric barrier between another plate while allowing the plates to be
in close proximity. In a diode, the thin film of metal oxide is made
from a semiconductor materiel that is, much like half your install crew,
doped in order to give it special properties. So, whereas the oxide film
in a capacitor is meant to not conduct at all, the metal film in a diode
is designed to conduct alot in one direction, and not all in the other.

Nevertheless, I challenge you to bounce on over to your oscilliscope,
and test the transfer function of a pair of 50 uf polar electrolytic
capacitors screwed end to end, and compare it to the transfer function
of a normal 100 uf non-polar electrolytic capacitor. Report back when
you're finished.

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
The Lizard wrote:

Eddie Runner wrote:
[...]

You are so on crack or so in need of an electronics book. You are why I
never let any "professional" do electrical work on my car.
GregS

In article , Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
In article ,
The Lizard wrote:

SkinnyBoy wrote:
Umm.. he is right.. you're the one smoking something..

Uhm...no, he's not.

How about you take two diodes and put them together. Does that suddenly
make it a non diode?

I guess it makes a zener.

All well and good, I never really heard a explanation of why a nonpolar
caps work and not short out. There has been usuage where I have seen
the center terminals tied to a bias supply through a resistor.

greg

The Lizard

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

Two polarized capacitors back to back does _exactly_ make a
non-polarized capacitor. Look it up in an electronics book.

big-assed snip

No, really...think about this...because if it were really that simple,
there would be no need for non-polar electrolytic caps. Yes, you will
get a cap that works in both directions, but it won't behave as a normal
non-polar cap. It will add modulative distortion, and it might even be
noticeable to the guy you're telling to rig this up.

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/
Save Farscape http://www.watchfarscape.com

The Lizard

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

What you say doesn't mean **** as long as you refuse to do some
research.

You mean like looking at the response curve of two polar caps backed
together on an oscilliscope?

Did it already. I can post the graphics of the response curve if you like.

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/
Save Farscape http://www.watchfarscape.com

Eddie Runner

The Lizard wrote:

You mean like looking at the response curve of two polar caps backed
together on an oscilliscope?

Response curve of WHAT kind of signal??

Eddie Runner

he wont.. Lizzypooooh is bluffing....