Dan Jensen

Default center channel advice

In starting to build a new system, my current system lacks only a
center channel.

What are your opinions regarding a) Klipsch (RC-35) versus b)
Definitive Technology (ProCenter C2)

I like the sound of the Definitive, however my gut seems to go with
the Klipsch. Apparently there are those that think the Klipsch sounds
bright - though maybe my ears did not agree with this.

Although the Defenitive seems to be more detailed, etc., it seems with
the Klipsch I hear less of the speaker and more of the movie, music,
etc. Before I jump off a bridge some feedback would help. Thanks

Bruno Putzeys

The center channel should match as closely as possible the other two front
speakers. If there is no video monitor in the way (unlikely) you could
simply buy a third speaker of the same brand/type you're using left and
right. This would be the absolute optimum. This is why some people use an
"acoustically transparent" (sort of...) projection screen - to allow them to
put 3 floor-standers behind it.

Many speaker companies also have a "center" version of their main speakers,
which is basically the same acoustic design in a low-profile construction.
See if the manufacturer of your main speakers has such a thing.

"Dan Jensen" wrote in message
In starting to build a new system, my current system lacks only a
center channel.

What are your opinions regarding a) Klipsch (RC-35) versus b)
Definitive Technology (ProCenter C2)

I like the sound of the Definitive, however my gut seems to go with
the Klipsch. Apparently there are those that think the Klipsch sounds
bright - though maybe my ears did not agree with this.

Although the Defenitive seems to be more detailed, etc., it seems with
the Klipsch I hear less of the speaker and more of the movie, music,
etc. Before I jump off a bridge some feedback would help. Thanks

Pat Wilson

The rest of my system - THOUGH SUBJECT TO CHANGE (today I think the
best place to start is with a good center channel and build from
there.. though that is a debate for another day and one that many
probably wouldn't care to debate anyways) I have a Denon AVR 1602, a
"cyberhome" DVD player, the rear channels are Sony SSMB's (not for
long, though), and the front channels are not any brand because they
are self-built containing an 8" Audax woofer and a ribbon-type tweeter
with a HF attenuator knob (built-in to the network). As you can see
kind of a patchwork (the dispaly is a 20" CRT)

My main applications are FM Radio, Dolby Digital, and PCM audio.
thanks again

"Dan Jensen" wrote in message
In starting to build a new system, my current system lacks only a
center channel.

What are your opinions regarding a) Klipsch (RC-35) versus b)
Definitive Technology (ProCenter C2)

I like the sound of the Definitive, however my gut seems to go with
the Klipsch. Apparently there are those that think the Klipsch sounds
bright - though maybe my ears did not agree with this.

Although the Defenitive seems to be more detailed, etc., it seems with
the Klipsch I hear less of the speaker and more of the movie, music,
etc. Before I jump off a bridge some feedback would help. Thanks

Bruce Abrams

"Pat Wilson" wrote in message
The rest of my system - THOUGH SUBJECT TO CHANGE (today I think the
best place to start is with a good center channel and build from
there.. though that is a debate for another day and one that many
probably wouldn't care to debate anyways) I have a Denon AVR 1602, a
"cyberhome" DVD player, the rear channels are Sony SSMB's (not for
long, though), and the front channels are not any brand because they
are self-built containing an 8" Audax woofer and a ribbon-type tweeter
with a HF attenuator knob (built-in to the network). As you can see
kind of a patchwork (the dispaly is a 20" CRT)

The bottom line is that ultimately you should be striving to have the tonal
balance of the main speakers be consistent with that of the center channel.
Making a blanket recommendation for a center channel in a vacuum is
therefore, akin to asking someone to recommend a speaker. I'd suggest that
settle on a budget, listen around to decide what you like within your budget
and then buy.

Drew Eckhardt

In article cdqEb.146275$_M.717525@attbi_s54,
Pat Wilson wrote:
long, though), and the front channels are not any brand because they
are self-built containing an 8" Audax woofer and a ribbon-type tweeter
with a HF attenuator knob (built-in to the network).

So build a center channel containing an 8" Audax woofer and ribon tweeter
(all vertically oriented). Try to maintain the same baffle width. Try to
maintain the same box volume and porting arrangement. If that is not possible
try for a sealed box with a Q of .707 and F3 of 80Hz (this will sum with a
THX 80 Hz high pass to produce an LR4 acoustic response). Or just build
for an F3 of 40-60Hz and cross-over at 80Hz. Stick it on a short stand a few
feet in front of the TV so you have no problems with magnetic interferance.

Horizontal MTM arrangements are attractive when stuck atop a TV or in
an entertainment center, but have off-axis lobing problems.

"Bruno Putzeys" wrote in message
The center channel should match as closely as possible the other two front
speakers.

The solution here is obvious...

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
Life is a terminal sexually transmitted disease.

WENW

Greetings,

Thanks for your posting on the rec.audio.high-end newsgroup.

Ultimately, it is best to find a center channel that is voiced the closest
to your main channels. However, if you are only choosing between the two
center channels that you are currently considering, go with what sounds best
to your ears in seemless transition between the front channels.

Does the manufacturer of your main channels have a matching center channel
option? If so, this is what we would recommend.

Best regards and happy shopping,
--

http://www.WEnterprisesNW.com -[]|||]===