Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

Default HD or BluRay?

Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.
--
% Randy Yates % "...the answer lies within your soul
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % 'cause no one knows which side
Posted to rec.audio.tech
JANA JANA is offline

At this time, I would be buying a the standard type DVD player. The BlueRay
players are going to keep dropping in price. There are going to be some
major improvements in the signal processing over the next year. This
technology is still in the development stage. It is predicted that within
the next two years, the BlueRay player will cost the same as a regular
player costs at this time.

--

JANA
_____

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.
--
% Randy Yates % "...the answer lies within your soul
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % 'cause no one knows which side
%%% 919-577-9882 % the coin will fall."
%%%% % 'Big Wheels', *Out of the Blue*, ELO
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"JANA" wrote in message

At this time, I would be buying a the standard type DVD
player.

If anything at all,

The BlueRay players are going to keep dropping in
price.

Ditto for HD.

There are going to be some major improvements in
the signal processing over the next year. This technology
is still in the development stage. It is predicted that
within the next two years, the BlueRay player will cost
the same as a regular player costs at this time.

Two questions:

(1) Why does a BluRay player have to cost up to twice as much as a HD
player?

(2) Why does a HD player have to cost over twice as much as a standard
player?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

"JANA" writes:
[...]
There are going to be some major improvements in the signal processing
over the next year.

Interesting. Such as?
--
% Randy Yates % "Remember the good old 1980's, when
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % things were so uncomplicated?"
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Arny Krueger" writes:

"JANA" wrote in message

At this time, I would be buying a the standard type DVD
player.

If anything at all,

The BlueRay players are going to keep dropping in
price.

Ditto for HD.

I was under the impression from the sales guys at Best Buy that HD was
winning the war.

It's also not just a question of technology, but which format will have
the most releases.
--
% Randy Yates % "And all that I can do
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % is say I'm sorry,

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Arny Krueger" writes:

"JANA" wrote in message

At this time, I would be buying a the standard type DVD
player.

If anything at all,

The BlueRay players are going to keep dropping in
price.

Ditto for HD.

I was under the impression from the sales guys at Best
Buy that HD was winning the war.

They wish.

It's also not just a question of technology, but which
format will have the most releases.

I wonder if the powers that be have figured out that the format that has the
first economical writer will have an advantage with many consumers.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 21:31:55 -0500, Randy Yates wrote:
"Arny Krueger" writes:

"JANA" wrote in message

At this time, I would be buying a the standard type DVD
player.

If anything at all,

The BlueRay players are going to keep dropping in
price.

Ditto for HD.

I was under the impression from the sales guys at Best Buy that HD was
winning the war.

The sales guys will tell you anything to promote a sale.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Arny Krueger" writes:

"JANA" wrote in message

At this time, I would be buying a the standard type DVD
player.

If anything at all,

The BlueRay players are going to keep dropping in
price.

Ditto for HD.

I was under the impression from the sales guys at Best Buy that HD was
winning the war.

The sales guys will tell you anything to promote a sale.

Don't play me for an idiot. I'm not following their statement as
law. But in fact they had both types of players, and I believe the
BluRay was actually more expensive (and thus more profit and more
likely to be "sold").
--
% Randy Yates % "So now it's getting late,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % and those who hesitate
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:
"Arny Krueger" writes:

"JANA" wrote in message

At this time, I would be buying a the standard type DVD
player.

If anything at all,

The BlueRay players are going to keep dropping in
price.

Ditto for HD.

I was under the impression from the sales guys at Best
Buy that HD was winning the war.

The sales guys will tell you anything to promote a sale.

Unscientific straw poll:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...t=1330&page=49

HD DVD player 707 51.79%
Blu-ray player 396 29.01%
Both. 262 19.19%

Unscientific anecdotes:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=149

"Blockbuster has been renting both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles in 250 stores
since late last year and found that consumers were choosing Blu-ray titles
more than 70 percent of the time.Blockbuster has been renting both Blu-ray
and HD DVD titles in 250 stores since late last year and found that
consumers were choosing Blu-ray titles more than 70 percent of the time."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6176792...result;title;4

1. Between January 1 and July 1, a total of 795,000 HD-DVDs were sold,
versus 1.6 million BDs. As of the end of July, 2.2 million BDs and 1.5
million HD-DVDs have sold since they both hit the market last year

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

More Unscientific anecdotes:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/11/....black.friday/

Blu-Ray remains the format of choice in the HD world, results from the week
of Black Friday show. Data from Nielsen VideoScan reveals that of the HD
discs bought during last week, 72.6 percent of them were Blu-Ray titles,
leaving HD DVD at 27.4 percent. This is despite a massive influx of HD DVD
players from Wal-Mart's $99 sale, and the success of particular titles such
as Transformers. Simply by itself, the Blu-Ray version of Live Free or Die
Hard sold nearly 100,000 copies, according to one Fox Home Entertainment
executive.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/12012.cfm

The North American HD DVD Promotional Group has made a press release
announcing their latest sales milestone, 750,000 standalones sold through
last week.

Thanks to incredible November deals on Toshiba HD DVD players, the milestone
has been reached with numbers continuing to grow at a steady rate. The
numbers also include the Xbox 360 HD DVD add on.

"HD DVD continues to gain momentum and market share with consumers," said
Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for
Universal Studios Home Entertainment, and co-president of the HD DVD
Promotional Group. "With more than four weeks left for holiday shopping, HD
DVD is turning out to be a perfect consumer electronics gift."

According to the The Digital Entertainment Group, Blu-ray standalone sales
have not even reached 200,000 units yet. Those numbers, of course, do not
include the Sony PlayStation 3.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...ml?source=mypi

Sony said last week that the PlayStation 3, which sells for $400 and $500,
had sold 5.6 million units worldwide.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 21:37:51 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

I wonder if the powers that be have figured out that the format that has the
first economical writer will have an advantage with many consumers.

Bingo. Also, anybody wishing to be competitive selling players
a year away will need a player capable of *both* formats.

If you're bound and determined to be an early adopter, you
might want to be sure that your player will gracefully
output at "24p", meaning film's native frame rate without
a "3/2 pulldown", the timebase translation from film frame rate
to video frame rate. And that your display device can
both accept that and display it at an integral multiple
of frame rate.

The latest and greatest players and display devices can
transfer at film rate natively and display at integral
multiples of 24 frames per second (Hz to us). Note also
that "1080P" is advertizing copy for a 1920x1080 pixel
array, and that advertized ability to display "1080P"
is unrelated to *anything* really interesting.

Short answer: film buffs might want to ask a *lot* of questions
when designing A/V rooms. The audio is pretty mature, but
digital video is currently about like audio was in 1960.

Thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

**It simply doesn't matter. It is about as relevant as the difference
between DVD+ and DVD-. IOW: Bugger all. Players which can cope with both
formats will be available for peanuts within a few years. As for which
system will win (not that it matters) just look to the computer gaming
industry. That is where such things are decided. The movie industry will
follow the leader.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Trevor Wilson" writes:

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

**It simply doesn't matter. It is about as relevant as the difference
between DVD+ and DVD-. IOW: Bugger all. Players which can cope with both
formats will be available for peanuts within a few years.

Really? Where's your magic ball, because I don't see a big difference
here between this and Beta vs. VHS.

It certainly COULD turn out that way, but I don't see that it's a high
probability that it will.
--
% Randy Yates % "I met someone who looks alot like you,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % she does the things you do,
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Trevor Wilson" writes:

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

**It simply doesn't matter. It is about as relevant as the difference
between DVD+ and DVD-. IOW: Bugger all. Players which can cope with both
formats will be available for peanuts within a few years.

Really? Where's your magic ball, because I don't see a big difference
here between this and Beta vs. VHS.

**Then I suggest you investigate the technical differences. They're
miniscule. Beta vs. VHS was far more fundamental, in that the two formats
used physically incompatible mechanisms, writing speeds, etc. Blu Ray and
HD-DVD use the same lasers, the same size media, etc. The only differences
lie in the focussing and the decoding. IOW: Bugger all. In fact, the
differences are very close to the differences between DVD+ and DVD-. Can you
find a player which doesn't play both formats today? Didn't think so. In a
year or two, you won't find a player which won't play both Blu Ray and
HD-DVD either. Hell, you probably won't find a burner which can't cope with
both systems.

It certainly COULD turn out that way, but I don't see that it's a high
probability that it will.

**Not only will it turn out that way, but the writing is on the wall:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12760_7-9672294-5.html

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Randy Yates" wrote in message

"Trevor Wilson"
writes:

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this
too closely, but sometime in the next few months I
think I'm going to spring for a new player and I'd like
to know which one to get.

**It simply doesn't matter. It is about as relevant as
the difference between DVD+ and DVD-. IOW: Bugger all.

Seems like.

Players which can cope with both formats will be
available for peanuts within a few years.

If our experience with CD and DVD are any guide, then this is a reasonble
prediction. The magic price point is still about $200. Get the price under
$200 and watch the lemmings stream into your store, wallets open.

Really? Where's your magic ball, because I don't see a
big difference here between this and Beta vs. VHS.

Neither did any of the people who picked their VCR player based on the stock
at the local video store. As I recall, that was what just about everybody in
the mass market did.

It certainly COULD turn out that way, but I don't see
that it's a high probability that it will.

My cursory marketing study suggests that right now there is a 1/3 - 2/3
split in media sales, with the big difference being the millions of PS3s
(5.6 million world-wide) that people are buying pre-recorded media for. Not
every PS3 owner is using it for a Blu Ray player, but apparently enough are
to make a big difference.

A 1/3 - 2/3 split can allow both sides to survive for a looooong time.

Dual format players are already on the market. Handwriting on the wall?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote ...
"Arny Krueger" wrote:
I wonder if the powers that be have figured out that the format that
has the
first economical writer will have an advantage with many consumers.

Bingo. Also, anybody wishing to be competitive selling players
a year away will need a player capable of *both* formats.

I think that we (in this newsgroup) have an unusual POV
and are greatly overestimating the impact of DVD writing
on the marketplace. Are there even 10 DVD writing drives
sold for every 1000 DVD players?

And if you were a big Hollywood studio executive, you would
be more favoriable to the format that is LEAST available to
all those "poachers and counterfeiters" out there. (i.e. you and
me from their POV) even if we aren't ripping off their dreck. :-)

Note that there are several DVD newsgroups where this topic
is discussed regularly (by people much closer to the issues than
most of us).

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
(1) Why does a BluRay player have to cost up to twice
as much as a HD player?

Because Sony has their fingers in that particular pie?

(2) Why does a HD player have to cost over twice as
much as a standard player?

Mass-market volume. (Still at the low end of the curve).
I remember paying $700 for my first CDR drive. They
are currently $17 at my local shop.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=149
"Blockbuster has been renting both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles in 250
stores since late last year and found that consumers were choosing
Blu-ray titles more than 70 percent of the time.Blockbuster has been
renting both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles in 250 stores since late last
year and found that consumers were choosing Blu-ray titles more than
70 percent of the time."

But how many titles are available on both formats? Isn't that
more an indication of which movies people wnat to watch?
I suspect that the majority of mass-market consumers don't
give a whit (or even know about) BluRay vs. HD-DVD. They
just know which movie that want to see.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Chris Hornbeck" wrote ...
"Arny Krueger" wrote:
I wonder if the powers that be have figured out that the format that has
the
first economical writer will have an advantage with many consumers.

Bingo. Also, anybody wishing to be competitive selling players
a year away will need a player capable of *both* formats.

I think that we (in this newsgroup) have an unusual POV
and are greatly overestimating the impact of DVD writing
on the marketplace. Are there even 10 DVD writing drives
sold for every 1000 DVD players?

**You seem to be under the common misconception that the movie industry
rules the roost. It doesn't. The computer gaming is larger and dominates.
Ask yourself how many DVD burners are sold. The current retail price might
provide some kind of guide.

And if you were a big Hollywood studio executive, you would
be more favoriable to the format that is LEAST available to
all those "poachers and counterfeiters" out there. (i.e. you and
me from their POV) even if we aren't ripping off their dreck. :-)

**And again, you seem to think that Hollywood counts in this business.
Hollywood will follow the gaming industry (specifically) and the computer
industry (generally).

Note that there are several DVD newsgroups where this topic
is discussed regularly (by people much closer to the issues than
most of us).

**And those who do not understand the influence of the gaming industry will
miss the point too.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...

(1) Why does a BluRay player have to cost up to twice
as much as a HD player?

Because Sony has their fingers in that particular pie?

Up until lately, the cheapest way to get a Blu ray player was to get a PS3.
Over 5 million sold, world-wide.

(2) Why does a HD player have to cost over twice as
much as a standard player?

Mass-market volume. (Still at the low end of the curve).

IME $200 is the magic price point. Below $200, you can sell almost anything
that works. Above $200, every sale is far more difficult.

I remember paying $700 for my first CDR drive.

I got in around $400.

They are currently $17 at my local shop.

Sounds about right.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Trevor Wilson" wrote ...
**You seem to be under the common misconception that the movie industry
rules the roost. It doesn't.

No? It only controls the *content* on 99% of all pre-recorded
video media sold on this planet. I'm willing to call that "control"

**And those who do not understand the influence of the gaming industry
will miss the point too.

Cross-posting from some other planet, are you?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote ...
**You seem to be under the common misconception that the movie industry
rules the roost. It doesn't.

No? It only controls the *content* on 99% of all pre-recorded
video media sold on this planet. I'm willing to call that "control"

**That is the ONLY control they weild. The success or otherwise of two
competing systems rests with the computer industry, not the movie industry.
Since at least one major movie producer (Sony) is a huge player in the
computer gaming industry, you may now gain some idea of where the industry
is likely to head.

**And those who do not understand the influence of the gaming industry
will miss the point too.

Cross-posting from some other planet, are you?

**I suggest you bruch up on the term: 'cross post'. I don't cross post.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Trevor Wilson" wrote
in message
"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote ...
**You seem to be under the common misconception that
the movie industry rules the roost. It doesn't.

No? It only controls the *content* on 99% of all
pre-recorded video media sold on this planet. I'm
willing to call that "control"

**That is the ONLY control they weild. The success or
otherwise of two competing systems rests with the
computer industry, not the movie industry. Since at least
one major movie producer (Sony) is a huge player in the
computer gaming industry, you may now gain some idea of
where the industry is likely to head.

To support that thought: Note that the sales of PS/3 game sets seems to have
built a larger market for Blu Ray discs than HD discs.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Trevor Wilson" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
"Trevor Wilson" wrote ...
**You seem to be under the common misconception that the movie
industry rules the roost. It doesn't.

No? It only controls the *content* on 99% of all pre-recorded
video media sold on this planet. I'm willing to call that "control"

**That is the ONLY control they weild.

LOL! What else would one need in a content-driven market?

The success or otherwise of two competing systems rests with the
computer industry, not the movie industry. Since at least one major
movie producer (Sony) is a huge player in the computer gaming
industry, you may now gain some idea of where the industry is likely
to head.

Perhaps it has escaped your notice that Sony is unique in
being: 1) a leading and innovative manufacturer of consumer
and professional electronics; 2) a major movie studio; and
3) owner of many popular music labels. It seems quite likely
that the majority of Sony customers don't know (or care) that
they are even in the computer gaming business.

**And those who do not understand the influence of the gaming
industry will miss the point too.

Cross-posting from some other planet, are you?

**I suggest you bruch up on the term: 'cross post'. I don't cross
post.

I know what cross-posting is. If you don't like my literary style,
just say so. The world is significantly larger and more complex
than your gaming-centric view of it.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
"Trevor Wilson" wrote ...
**You seem to be under the common misconception that the movie industry
rules the roost. It doesn't.

No? It only controls the *content* on 99% of all pre-recorded
video media sold on this planet. I'm willing to call that "control"

**That is the ONLY control they weild.

LOL! What else would one need in a content-driven market?

**Back in the Beta/VHS days, the movie industry was the only player (for all
intents). They didn't like dual inventory. Now, in the DVD/Blu Ray/HD-DVD
world, the movie industry is not the only player. In fact, they are not even
the major player. They will not dictate the direction of the industry. That
will be dictated by the computer/gaming industry. The movie industry will
follow.

The success or otherwise of two competing systems rests with the computer
industry, not the movie industry. Since at least one major movie producer
(Sony) is a huge player in the computer gaming industry, you may now gain
some idea of where the industry is likely to head.

Perhaps it has escaped your notice that Sony is unique in
being: 1) a leading and innovative manufacturer of consumer
and professional electronics; 2) a major movie studio; and
3) owner of many popular music labels. It seems quite likely
that the majority of Sony customers don't know (or care) that
they are even in the computer gaming business.

**How dould it have escaped my notice? It was I who made the point. Several
times.

**And those who do not understand the influence of the gaming industry
will miss the point too.

Cross-posting from some other planet, are you?

**I suggest you bruch up on the term: 'cross post'. I don't cross post.

I know what cross-posting is.

**It seems you don't.

If you don't like my literary style,
just say so.

**I don't cross-post, despite your recent claims.

The world is significantly larger and more complex
than your gaming-centric view of it.

**LOL! I don't play games. I am not placing my preferences on view. I am
just stating facts. I just look at the industry from a much broader
perspective than (apparently) you do. People who ignore the computer/gaming
industry, do so at their peril.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.tech
dizzy dizzy is offline

Randy Yates wrote:

Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

I just sprung for a HD-DVD player. I've read that the market is going
that way, and, for $200 (Tosh A3), it's cheap-enough to not
worry-about.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
willbill willbill is offline

Randy Yates wrote:

Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

i just got, 10 days ago, a Toshiba A35 player

based on what i've read recently, as well as
my 1st 5 free movies (5 more free in roughly
2+ months), i think it's safe to buy a 3rd
gen Toshiba

of the 5 movies that i've gotten so far, i got
to pick 3. also worth noting is that of the 1st 5,
3 have Dolby TrueHD.

The Last Samurai
Pride & Prejudice (2005) - Dolby TrueHD
The Phantome of the Opera - Dolby TrueHD

of these, Samurai is the biggest disappointment,
in that it's sound isn't much (if any) better
than what's on the regular DVD movie (which i have)

the really happy surprise is the P&P. yes, the
music is the Hollywood muzak, but it is rather
good muzak; no distortion (i'm only half way thru it,
on pause... LOL!). my movie review books give it
3 stars out of 4. i also add an extra half star
for the excellent sound and video, as well as
an extra half star for the incredible extras

if you want great sound, get an OPPO player
(www.oppodigital.com) and some SACD disks

the PotO has some points where i hear distortion;
despite this, the sound is very superior to what's
on the regular DVD movie

fwiw, my player may have a minor problem

i happened to turn off the AVR's power while
a movie was playing and i heard soft sound
(from the movie) coming from my TV. so the
A35 player is leaking sound, either thru the
HDMI cable or thru the power cord. (i don't
run sound into the TV; i use the HDMI strictly
for the video; so far all i've done is to turn
the TV sound to zero when i'm using the A35)

bill
Posted to rec.audio.tech

willbill wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:

Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

i just got, 10 days ago, a Toshiba A35 player

Pity. Blu-Ray just won the format war.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Steven Sullivan writes:

willbill wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:

Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

i just got, 10 days ago, a Toshiba A35 player

Pity. Blu-Ray just won the format war.

Are you referring to Warner Brothers' decision?
--
% Randy Yates % "How's life on earth?
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % ... What is it worth?"
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Randy Yates" wrote ...
Steven Sullivan writes:
willbill wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:

Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely,
but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a
new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

i just got, 10 days ago, a Toshiba A35 player

Pity. Blu-Ray just won the format war.

Are you referring to Warner Brothers' decision?

The Blu-Ray camp seem to have all but conceeded
defeat with the WB announcement.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Steven Sullivan writes:
willbill wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:

Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this
too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to
spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

i just got, 10 days ago, a Toshiba A35 player

Pity. Blu-Ray just won the format war.

Are you referring to Warner Brothers' decision?

The Blu-Ray camp seem to have all but conceeded
defeat with the WB announcement.

Huh????

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/jan/07/sony

Looks to me like it would be the HD camp that is crying in their tea.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Randy Yates wrote:
Steven Sullivan writes:

willbill wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:

Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

i just got, 10 days ago, a Toshiba A35 player

Pity. Blu-Ray just won the format war.

Are you referring to Warner Brothers' decision?

Yup. It's not quite a slam-dunk, but it's pretty dire
news for HD-DVD.

FWIW, I have no stake in either. I'm one of the people
waiting on the sidelines for the 'format war' to
settle itself, before buying.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Randy Yates" wrote ...
Steven Sullivan writes:
willbill wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:

Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely,
but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a
new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

i just got, 10 days ago, a Toshiba A35 player

Pity. Blu-Ray just won the format war.

Are you referring to Warner Brothers' decision?

The Blu-Ray camp seem to have all but conceeded
defeat with the WB announcement.

That would be odd for them to do, as the WB announcement was that WB
was adopting Blu-Ray exclusively come May '08.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:26:50 +0000 (UTC), Steven Sullivan wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
Steven Sullivan writes:

willbill wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:

Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

i just got, 10 days ago, a Toshiba A35 player

Pity. Blu-Ray just won the format war.

Are you referring to Warner Brothers' decision?

Yup. It's not quite a slam-dunk, but it's pretty dire
news for HD-DVD.

FWIW, I have no stake in either. I'm one of the people
waiting on the sidelines for the 'format war' to
settle itself, before buying.

I'm waiting for the encryption to be broken before buying. If I can't play
my media where, when, and how I want, I'm not buying.

I like having my media copied to a central server, instead having my household
littered with little plastic disks.

If the encryption is never broken, that is OK with me too.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

AZ Nomad writes:
[...]
I'm waiting for the encryption to be broken before buying. If I can't play
my media where, when, and how I want, I'm not buying.

I like having my media copied to a central server, instead having my household
littered with little plastic disks.

If the encryption is never broken, that is OK with me too.

I'd be one of the last ones to stick up for the sharks in Hollywood, but
a very real problem with this is that many folks won't be honest. Many
folks, granted an easy copy ability, would "share" their videos with
their family and friends so everyone could reduce their $$$ outlay, and
that is cheating, in my book.

Having said that, I do believe that if one pays for a DVD/CD/whatever,
they should be free to use it where ever and whenever they want, and to
make unlimited copies for such usage, as long as it used only among the
immediate household members. For example, I think the mindset that says
you can't copy a CD for car use (to avoid scratching your nice master) is
bull****.
--
% Randy Yates % "And all that I can do
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % is say I'm sorry,
%%% 919-577-9882 % that's the way it goes..."
%%%% % Getting To The Point', *Balance of Power*, ELO
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote
"Randy Yates" wrote ...
Steven Sullivan writes:
willbill wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:

Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this
too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to
spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

i just got, 10 days ago, a Toshiba A35 player

Pity. Blu-Ray just won the format war.

Are you referring to Warner Brothers' decision?

The Blu-Ray camp seem to have all but conceeded
defeat with the WB announcement.

Huh????

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/jan/07/sony

Looks to me like it would be the HD camp that is crying in their tea.

Bzzzzzt! Yes, of course, I meant to say HD-DVD.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:09:23 -0500, Randy Yates wrote:
AZ Nomad writes:
[...]
I'm waiting for the encryption to be broken before buying. If I can't play
my media where, when, and how I want, I'm not buying.

I like having my media copied to a central server, instead having my household
littered with little plastic disks.

If the encryption is never broken, that is OK with me too.

I'd be one of the last ones to stick up for the sharks in Hollywood, but
a very real problem with this is that many folks won't be honest. Many
folks, granted an easy copy ability, would "share" their videos with
their family and friends so everyone could reduce their $$$ outlay, and
that is cheating, in my book.

Then produce a decent copy management system. Hire some computer science
college grads and leave the marketing department out of creating the
requirements. Make it open source and transferable at prices negotiated
by the buyer and seller only. If I want to sell a HD/BR movie for a buck,
so be it. It is none of the movie studio's business other than to
insure that copies that are transfered can't be still owned by the original
owner. Until that occurs, the movie studios can go **** themselves.

Having said that, I do believe that if one pays for a DVD/CD/whatever,
they should be free to use it where ever and whenever they want, and to
make unlimited copies for such usage, as long as it used only among the
immediate household members. For example, I think the mindset that says
you can't copy a CD for car use (to avoid scratching your nice master) is
bull****.

I'm ok with not having unlimited copies, but I should also be able to replace
the physical media without buying it again. Model it on the software
industry who have somewhat inteligently addressed the issue. If my copy of
microsoft office gets a bad third disk, I don't have to shell out $600 for a
new set. I can just buy the third disk, or even copy it from somebody else.
It is the license that matters. I can also get a software ware license that
permits N users. IE: two licenced copies in a household would permit two
simultanious plays.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
If I want to sell a HD/BR movie for a buck, so be it.

Why on earth would you want to make such a huge loss on the cost of the
blank disks?
Not to mention the current cost of HD/BR writers you would also need to pay.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Mr.T" wrote ...
"AZ Nomad" wrote ...
If I want to sell a HD/BR movie for a buck, so be it.

Why on earth would you want to make such a huge loss on the cost of the
blank disks?
Not to mention the current cost of HD/BR writers you would also need to
pay.

AZ didn't say "sell a disc" he said "sell a movie".
With online delivery, no disc is involved. Perhaps
you didn't read the entire context of the paragraph.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Dirk Bruere at NeoPax is offline

Randy Yates wrote:
Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

BluRay.
Probably because of something as simple as it's easier to say than "HD
DVD" in board meetings.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London