Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave Morrison Dave Morrison is offline

Default Legal to use this audio?

I recording and editing a small project for a client (narration) that will
require some short musical cues between sections. I have found some
appropriate music in Final Cut Pro's Soundtrack Pro loop library. Does
anybody know if I can legally use these musical cues in a commercial
product?

dave

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik Ron Capik is offline

Default Of talk radio and copy rights

Dave Morrison wrote:

I recording and editing a small project for a client (narration) that will
require some short musical cues between sections. I have found some
appropriate music in Final Cut Pro's Soundtrack Pro loop library. Does
anybody know if I can legally use these musical cues in a commercial
product?

dave

Sort of a non sequitur:
I don't know about Dave's situation but the subject reminded me
of another question: who owns the rights of a broadcast call-in show's
dialog?

Years ago I did a bunch of call-in stuff as the New Jersey
Editorial Minstrel. I recorded the stuff off the air. I'm wondering
who has copy rights in such situations?

Later...

Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Ron Capik" wrote ...
Sort of a non sequitur:
I don't know about Dave's situation but the subject reminded me
of another question: who owns the rights of a broadcast call-in show's
dialog?

Years ago I did a bunch of call-in stuff as the New Jersey
Editorial Minstrel. I recorded the stuff off the air. I'm wondering
who has copy rights in such situations?

Were you just a regular caller from the public,
or did you have some sort or arrangement (or
even contract?) with the show?

If you had any kind of arrangement with the show,
and especially if you received any compensation,
they could make a good case for owning the rights.

But if you were just a regular caller, and especially
is the show no longer exists, seems questionable that
anyone would dispute your ownership??

Of course real legal advice would come from an
attorney whom you were paying for counsel.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Dave Morrison wrote:

Looks like I got thread-crapped

Topposting and no editing of context leads to lost context - not gonna waste
my time putting the resulting mess right and not gonna waste Richards time
leaving it in (guy here who uses a speaking newsreader), however you seem to
ask about loops that come with some software. The expection would be that
you can use them however you see fit free of charge, but what do they say in
the license to the software? - it is likely to be specified, software coding
may be sloppy occasinally, but not the license coding ... O;-)

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Dave Morrison wrote:

Looks like I got thread-crapped.
dave

Sorry about that. In hindsight I probably should
have added OT to my revised subject line.

Later...

Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Dave Morrison" wrote ...
Looks like I got thread-crapped.

Not clear why you were asking that question here when you
could have read the terms & conditions that came with the
software.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:32:09 -0500, Ron Capik wrote
(in article ):

--

Were you an employee of anyone during that time? If so, was your minstrel
act part of your work?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik Ron Capik is offline

Ty Ford wrote:

...snip..
Sort of a non sequitur:
I don't know about Dave's situation but the subject reminded me
of another question: who owns the rights of a broadcast call-in show's
dialog?

Years ago I did a bunch of call-in stuff as the New Jersey
Editorial Minstrel. I recorded the stuff off the air. I'm wondering
who has copy rights in such situations?

Ron Capik

Were you an employee of anyone during that time? If so, was your minstrel
act part of your work?

Regards,

Ty Ford

My day job was research, the call-in stuff was totally freelance (political
parodies)
no pay or contract involved. Most were phoned in because they involved current
hot topics, a few were mailed in. I was encouraged to call and even developed
a bit of a following, and some of the bit even got repeat air play.
'twas part of my 15 minutes of fame. G
[Yes, I know parody has lots of legal gray areas that further complicate things.]

Later...

Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Cosmik de Bris Cosmik de Bris is offline

Dave Morrison wrote:
I recording and editing a small project for a client (narration) that will
require some short musical cues between sections. I have found some
appropriate music in Final Cut Pro's Soundtrack Pro loop library. Does
anybody know if I can legally use these musical cues in a commercial
product?

Not sure about Final Cut but I'm pretty sure the Logic Studio license
says "yes".