The $5 preamp Urban Legend

Old May 30th 10, 04:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

Default The $5 preamp Urban Legend

Great read in the June "Recording" magazine (page 72).
Kudos to Paul J. Stamler.

Poly

Old May 30th 10, 06:07 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler

On May 30, 10:08*am, "polymod" > wrote:
> Great read in the June "Recording" magazine (page 72).
> Kudos to Paul J. Stamler.

Thanks for the good words.

Peace,
Paul
Old May 30th 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
drichard

Hi Paul,

I don't have a subscription to Recording. Would it be possible for you
to tell me the focus of the article? The title "The $5 preamp Urban
Legend" doesn't help me much, other than to tell me it has something
to do with preamps.

Thanks,

Dean

Old May 31st 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

drichard wrote:

> I don't have a subscription to Recording. Would it be possible for you
> to tell me the focus of the article? The title "The $5 preamp Urban
> Legend" doesn't help me much, other than to tell me it has something
> to do with preamps.

In the article, Paul describes the other costs involved in
making a $5 IC into a serviceable box that has a mic input
on one side and a line output on the other - connectors,
box, power supply, pots, switches, transformers, and other
miscellaneous components. It all comes out to be a bit over
$500 as he analyzed it, and he did his usual excellent job
of putting on the hat of a designer and manufacturer and
looking at all the little things that people who say "it's a
simple construction project" don't talk about.

of audio." - John Watkinson
Old May 31st 10, 01:19 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford

On Sun, 30 May 2010 23:29:02 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article >):

> drichard wrote:
>
>> I don't have a subscription to Recording. Would it be possible for you
>> to tell me the focus of the article? The title "The $5 preamp Urban
>> Legend" doesn't help me much, other than to tell me it has something
>> to do with preamps.

> In the article, Paul describes the other costs involved in
> making a $5 IC into a serviceable box that has a mic input
> on one side and a line output on the other - connectors,
> box, power supply, pots, switches, transformers, and other
> miscellaneous components. It all comes out to be a bit over
> $500 as he analyzed it, and he did his usual excellent job
> of putting on the hat of a designer and manufacturer and
> looking at all the little things that people who say "it's a
> simple construction project" don't talk about.

Ah, so it isn't really a $5 preamp?

The laurels of the RMP are preserved?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Old May 31st 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
vdubreeze

On May 31, 8:19*am, Ty Ford > wrote:

> Ah, so it isn't really a $5 preamp?

Well, that's why it's called an "Urban Legend" : )
Old June 1st 10, 02:52 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"Mike Rivers" > wrote in message

> drichard wrote:
>
>> I don't have a subscription to Recording. Would it be
>> possible for you to tell me the focus of the article?
>> The title "The $5 preamp Urban Legend" doesn't help me
>> much, other than to tell me it has something to do with
>> preamps.

> In the article, Paul describes the other costs involved in
> making a $5 IC into a serviceable box that has a mic input
> on one side and a line output on the other - connectors,
> box, power supply, pots, switches, transformers, and other
> miscellaneous components. It all comes out to be a bit
> over $500 as he analyzed it, and he did his usual
> excellent job of putting on the hat of a designer and
> manufacturer and looking at all the little things that
> people who say "it's a simple construction project" don't
> talk about.

It's pretty incredible that some people do manage to build a servicable
preamp with all those things; connectors, box, power supply, switches and
other miscellaneous components for more like $50 than $500. I'm specifically
thinking of the Rolls MP13.

Just about *everybody* can build a fairly servicable mixer with from 8 to 16
mic inputs for $500.

Old June 1st 10, 07:11 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler

On May 31, 8:52*pm, "Arny Krueger" > wrote:
> "Mike Rivers" > wrote in message
>

> > drichard wrote:

> >> I don't have a subscription to Recording. Would it be
> >> possible for you to tell me the focus of the article?
> >> The title "The $5 preamp Urban Legend" doesn't help me
> >> much, other than to tell me it has something to do with
> >> preamps.

> > In the article, Paul describes the other costs involved in
> > making a $5 IC into a serviceable box that has a mic input
> > on one side and a line output on the other - connectors,
> > box, power supply, pots, switches, transformers, and other
> > miscellaneous components. It all comes out to be a bit
> > over $500 as he analyzed it, and he did his usual
> > excellent job of putting on the hat of a designer and
> > manufacturer and looking at all the little things that
> > people who say "it's a simple construction project" don't
> > talk about.

> It's pretty incredible that some people do manage to build a servicable
> preamp with all those things; connectors, box, power supply, switches and
> other miscellaneous components for more like $50 than $500. I'm specifically
> thinking *of the Rolls MP13.
>
> Just about *everybody* can build a fairly servicable mixer with from 8 to 16
> mic inputs for $500.

Well, a *usable* mixer. *Servicable* is the thing it's not -- and it's
not likely to last more than a couple of years.

Peace,
Paul
Old June 1st 10, 12:46 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Arny Krueger wrote:

> It's pretty incredible that some people do manage to build a servicable
> preamp with all those things; connectors, box, power supply, switches and
> other miscellaneous components for more like $50 than $500. I'm specifically
> thinking of the Rolls MP13.

Sure - no transformers (or worse, crummy transformers), wall
wart power, and most important, mass production. You can buy
a preamp-sized case with no holes in it for $10-15 and hack
it out, but if you make a drawing and send it to a sheet
metal shop for punching (for neat, round holes exactly where
you want them) it'll cost $50 just for that. The
manufacturer who turns out $50 preamps by the thousands gets
the same case made in China for about a dollar.

of audio." - John Watkinson
Old June 1st 10, 01:06 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"PStamler" > wrote in message

> On May 31, 8:52 pm, "Arny Krueger" >
> wrote:

>>> In the article, Paul describes the other costs involved
>>> in making a $5 IC into a serviceable box that has a mic
>>> input on one side and a line output on the other -
>>> connectors, box, power supply, pots, switches,
>>> transformers, and other miscellaneous components. It
>>> all comes out to be a bit over $500 as he analyzed it,
>>> and he did his usual excellent job of putting on the
>>> hat of a designer and manufacturer and looking at all
>>> the little things that people who say "it's a simple
>>> construction project" don't talk about.

>> It's pretty incredible that some people do manage to
>> build a servicable preamp with all those things;
>> connectors, box, power supply, switches and other
>> miscellaneous components for more like $50 than $500.
>> I'm specifically thinking of the Rolls MP13.

>> Just about *everybody* can build a fairly servicable
>> mixer with from 8 to 16 mic inputs for $500.

> Well, a *usable* mixer. *Servicable* is the thing it's
> not -- and it's not likely to last more than a couple of
> years.

I know that some people are afraid of low cost audio products, but those of
us who have to live in that world know that it is not nearly as bad as some
make it out to be.

$500 a channel is a very salty number to beat.

If you want to believe that you have to spend that kind of money to avoid
products that only last a couple of years, well it's your money.

If you want to give that as your final answer on a public forum, then you
may have to contend with a ton of people who know better from practical
experience.

I think my MP13 is about 5 years old and keeps on working, its knock-about
life not withstanding. My SX202 @$125 per channel may have been almost a
decade old when I picked it up on EBay, and that had to be 6-7 years ago.
It still works and it is about as servicable as they come.

There's no doubt that you can pay too little for audio gear, but diminishing
returns is a very strong rule.