Proper installation of a "fuse block"

Old November 12th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.audio.car
Ignoramus31276

Default Proper installation of a "fuse block"

I purchased a fuse block to install in my Silverato 2500 HD, and would
like to install it "properly".

So if you guys can share what are the guidelines for mounting it in a
workmanlike manner, safely and conveniently, I would like to
know. Also where would you tie it in. To battery directly? Do I need
(as I think) to also have an inline fuse on a wire that is feeding the
fuse block?

Thanks a lot!

Old November 13th 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_]

In article >, Ignoramus31276 > wrote:
>I purchased a fuse block to install in my Silverato 2500 HD, and would
>like to install it "properly".
>
>So if you guys can share what are the guidelines for mounting it in a
>workmanlike manner, safely and conveniently, I would like to
>know. Also where would you tie it in. To battery directly? Do I need
>(as I think) to also have an inline fuse on a wire that is feeding the
>fuse block?
>
>Thanks a lot!

The FAQ probably tells you. There is a wire length limitation.
If its real close it may not need a main fuse. Whats
the chance of the fusebloc comming apart?
Too many fuses is not good.

greg
Old November 16th 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.audio.car
Ignoramus30118

On 2009-11-13, GregS > wrote:
> The FAQ probably tells you. There is a wire length limitation.
> If its real close it may not need a main fuse. Whats
> the chance of the fusebloc comming apart?
> Too many fuses is not good.

I am done with a part of this work, which is attaching wire to battery
and getting it into the cab of the truck. Turns out there is a nice
place that s easy to drill and leads right into the cab.

I used military 10 gauge stranded nickel plated wire, crimped
terminals. Inside the engine compartment, the wire is protected by a
wire sleeve. In the area where the cable enters the cab, I put two
layers of heat shrink tubing to protect the cable from abrasion.

For now, inside I terminated the cable with female spade terminal.

I also made a distribution box from a 6 pole fuse block and a 12 pole
terminal block mounted on a piece of plywood. 6 poles of the 12 pole
terminal block are used to conduct the positive to the fuse block, and
six relaining poles are for negative. I have not yet installed this
distribution block. It will be covered.