Oh man I'm borred.......

Old June 10th 09, 08:20 AM posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Default Oh man I'm borred.......

OK, I'm so desperate to talk about car audio that I swear I'm going to start
answering questions no one asked in the DESPERATE hope I might start a
thread.

The problem is right now my car sounds absolutely better than ANY car system
I have ever owned, or heard.....EVER. Again, today I spent several hours in
my car, absolutely dazzled by the incredible sound quality. The Infinity
Kappas driven by my Phoenix Gold amp and my 6.5" Alpine Class R's driven by
my Fosgate Punch 225.2 just sound absolutely PERFECT together. I have the
crossovers dialed in absolutely perfectly. I swear, even my wife's music I
typically hate (soft rock) sounded wonderful and engaging. I really am NOT
trying to brag or anything like that, it's just I happen to be VERY pleased
at the moment with my system so naturally I want to talk about car audio. I
am just VERY INTO CAR AUDIO at the moment. But the problem is that judging
from the number of new posts, I feel like I'm the only one (of course I know
many of you are heavily into car audio, too).

So, answering questions nobody is asking....

What about the old question of "where is the best place to put your
subwoofers?'.

Let me tell you a little story about how I learned this leason the HARD and
EXPENSIVE way. I first got heavily into car audio around 1988. Between
1988 and 1995 I owned 4 different cars and with each car I kept upgrading my
system. I mean, my very first car with what I would consider my first
DECENT system back in 1988 had as it's front speakers a set of 4" Alpine
coaxials driven by the head unit. I call it my first decent system because
it was the first system I had ever owned with a SUBWOOFER driven by an
outboard amp, a Rockford Fosgate Punch 75. And the sub was a Fosgate 12"
punch in a ported enclosure. Although the front stage stunk, I thought I
was in heaven as I finally had BASS IN MY CAR!!!!! Oh, and my back speakers
were a set of Fosgate 767's 6.5" coaxials, again driven by the HU. I
upgraded by first buying another amp to drive the front speakers, an Alpine
3522 (I think that was the model number, I know it ended in 22). The next
upgrade was an amp to drive the rear Fosgate speakers, a Denon (when Denon
used to make car amps) something, I honestly don't remember the model number
but it was RATED at 30X2 but I could immediately tell they were overrated as
the much smaller Alpine 3522 could blow this larger Denon away. No wonder
Denon went out of business.

Now I continued to make improvements, next using a much better quality 6.5"
coaxial in front and finally seperates. My first set of seperates were
Boston Accoustics Pro series 6.5".

Anyway, in 1993 and 1994 I dabbled in competing in several IASCA events in
my area. My cars were pretty nice, clean, but my systema were really
nothing to write home about. HOWEVER, in 1995 I bought a brand new Nissan
Maxima. Now in case you don't remember, this is the year they changed the
body style to the more rounded style, they put a much more powerful engine
in and was Motor Trends car of the year. It was an SE with beige leather,
sunroof, and was this beautiful black/green metalic color.

Now this was really the height of IASCA and I desided with this beautiful
new car I was going to pull out all the stops and put an award winning,
magazine quality system in this car. I had a good friend who was an
installer for Magnolia Hi-Fi so I paid him under the table several thousand
dollars (and four weeks with no car as it was in his garage as he worked
every single day on it after he got home from work, somtimes late into the
night) to build an absolute kick-ass system. It was beautiful. It was
driven by a single amp, a Soundstream Reference 705, 5 channel amp that had
just come out and was hailed by everyone for it's sound quality, features,
and high-current abilities (the subwoofer channel was .5 ohm stable, all the
other channels were 1 ohm stable). I bought the new at the time, Alpine
7939, the top of the line alpine, not the most attractive HU Alpine has ever
built as the control knob looked like a nose and it was frankly a stupid
design because although it kind of looked like a knob, it wasn't a knob, you
turned the nose and all it accomplished was like hitting a volume up or
volume down button, it was like it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a
volume knob, or volume buttons, so this was some kind of compromise.
Thankfully, Alpine realized what most people want are knobs so they can
attenuate the volume up or down as quickly as they can turn a knob, that's
the way I like it, so I can INSTANTLY turn the volume all the way down with
a quick flick of the wrist. Of course, all models of Alpine's that end in
"9" (like the famous 7909) indicate they have no internal amplifier of their
own and require outboard amps. My front speakers were the Boston Accoustics
Pro Series seperates and what was cool about the SE series with the Bose
system was that it CAME with A-pillar pods for the Bose tweeters with grills
that, of course, matched everything so I simply used those for my Boston
tweets and the midbass speaks went in the factory door spots, however with
much Dynamat added to the doors and trunk. In fact, funny story, when I
first got the car and you pushed the trunk button on the remote the trunk
quickly poppped completely opened. I had so much Dynamat applied to the
trunk that when you pushed the trunk button, it simply unlocked and elevated
a pathetic 1/4", my wife wasn't real happy about that. I had Boston Pro
6.5" midbass drivers (no tweeters) for rear fill, run in mono (I thought it
helped anchor my center image better in mono). I had fake burled wood trim
on the inside put in, had the ENTIRE "premium" Bose system ripped out (never
saw more than 2 hours of use, don't think the cassette deck of the double
DIN CD/Cassette player was EVER used). Had a burled wood push out spare
compartment to fill the DIN space left behind after the double DIN unit was
removed. He built a beautiful amp rack with amp, a Phoenix Gold 15 band EQ
(EQ15 something, don't remember the model number but they were very popular
EQ's at the time and for years afterwards) and two Monster Cable .5 farad
caps tied together by two Monster gold plated buss barrs. The cool thing
was that the Phoenix Gold EQ and Monster caps all had lots of white and blue
(and blue matched the amp of course) and all the wiring was hidden in a
pull-out compartment under the subwoofer so all the visable components
seemed to match with this blue and white theme. When the amp rack was in
it's compartment under the sub, I had two fans in a push/pull configuration
to wash air over the entire affair but it was nearly impossible to SEE those
fans ( however, you bet I fricken MADE the IASCA judges see those fans). I
had an Optima Yellow top, Phoenix circuit breaker (as I still do today), and
unlike now (I have Phoenix Gold RCA's and speaker wire now as I sold the
stereo with the Maxima as the stereo was completely "built-into" the car so
there was more value in selling the stereo complete with the car rather than
picking this thing and that out of it because obviously the subwoofer/amp
rack was built into the car) I had all Monster Cable high-end RCA's and
speaker wire throughout.

Anyway, the subs. I had a pair of Soundstream SPL12's, 12" subs in their
own 1.5 cuibic foot sealed enclosures. Now the enclosure was obviously in
the trunk, but the subs faced forward so when you put the rear seat arm-rest
down you saw half of each sub, right there nearly at the opening. There was
really no need for grills (although IASCA knocked some points off at one
event which ****ed me off) as there was no way you could accidentally damage
one as you would have to reach through the arm rest hole to touch them and
of course nothing could accidentially fall back there or anything.

ANYWAY, it was truly a work of art. I mean it was beautiful. And I
certainly accumulated my share of trophies for the next few years. The
largest being this RIDICULOUS 5 foot high trophy I won at a Magnolia Hi-Fi
event, I won best of show, of course I think part of the reason I won that
is that every component in that car was bought from store that sponsored the
event, it certainly couldn't have hurt. And I did well in the IASCA circuit
competing in Tacoma, Seattle, and Portland. As I recall, I ALWAYS placed
(1st, 2nd or 3rd) competing in the amature 250-500 division I believe (which
was actually a good division as the 150-300 watts division was MURDER as I
recall and there were always many more competitors in that catagory). I had
enough points to go to nationals my first year but it was out of the
question as I couldn't take that much time away from work, nor did I want to
have to rent a trailer or, of course, put several thousand miles on the car
to drive to Daytona. Also, I knew enough about the real HEAVY HITTERS like
Dave Rivera and Steve Brown who were already doing things with 'glass and
Rivera's ridiculous fishtanks he incorporated in all his installs to know I
didn't stand a chance against these SPONSORED (unlike me) multi-kilobuck
systems.

Anyway, I'm actually finally getting to my original point which was how I
learned some important lessons about bass. Basically, it started when I
realized just by chance one day that when the trunk was open the bass
increased SUBSTANTIALLY. At the time, I had no idea why this was so. I
really didn't. So I believe I actually asked the question here nearly 15
years ago about why the hell my bass got so much louder when the trunk was
open. Like I said, I did not know the things I know now and I just couldn't
wrap my head around this frankly annoying phenomena (I wanted this
substantially increased bass ALL THE TIME). And of course someone like
Manville Smith explained to me that what was happening was that as my
subwoofer cones were bassically at the center of the car and that bass is
going back (as well as forward), bouncing off the rear-trunk, then going
forward, this extra distance of travel causing these waves to become 180
degrees out of phase and when those waves catch up to the waves going
forward in the first place, they cancel out a substantial portion of my
bass. Of course, I've spent thousands, this enclosure and amp-rack drawer
are built into the car (I mean, when you opened my trunk, NOTHING would tell
you there was a stereo there (except for the fact you might think it was a
very small trunk for a car that size), EVERYTHING was completely stealth and
built in AS IF it had come with the car. It was a truly amazing install job
and if I were to pay a shop to do the work, I'm sure it would have cost
several thousand dollars in installation alone (my friend did it for only
$1000 for all his hard work night after night, he guessed probably 50 hours,
and keep in mind, this is what he does for a living).

So of course, nothing could be done about the situation I found myself in,
and I just learned to accept it (because, OBVIOUSLY, turning the subwoofer
around was quite literally impossible unless I destroyed it first to get it
out of the car).

So I learned a VERY expensive lesson in accoustics: you always want your
cones as close to the boundries of your car like corners or at least the
rear-end to avoid cancellation. You know, I kind of blamed my installer,
Glen, a bit as well. I mean, HE WAS CERTTIFIED for Pete's sake and should
have seen this coming. I also let him do the majority of designing the
system (I just picked out the components I wanted to use, but I let him have
free reign with how the whole thing was to be designed and built. I always
wonder if the subwoofers had simply been facing the rear with attractive sub
grills and such, if the bass would have been much louder. OR, I now wonder
if he had taken more time in sealing the space behind the sub with 1" MDF if
those waves could have been prevented from going to the rear, because as he
had it, he used just thin 1/8" plywood for facia elements covered in
automotive carpet that matched the Maxima's trunk carpet (of course he used
3/4" MDF for the sub enclosure).

Now, to be fair, that system did pump out the bass pretty damn well. But in
truth it doesn't come close to my two 15"s driven by my 1000 watt Class D I
have now. I mean, my system now is TRULY a ground pounder, like none other
I've ever owned. But, of course, beyond it's brute force, like I said, it;s
SQ is simply AMAZING. Like I said at the begginging, THE BEST system I
have ever owned or even HEARD in my life.

Well, that was a whole lot of bull**** for no good reason. If anyone has
stories about their first systems or how they got into car audio I love
hearing those stories. I reallly do because if you're old like me (41), in
high-school the **** was 6x9's, a cassette deck and booster EQ. THAT was
state of the art in '83 and was what I had in my first car (well, minus the
booster EQ, but I did have a cassette deck which was considered "high-end"
anda pair of 6X9's. Of course it sounded like crap but we didn't know any
better.

Anyway, I love stories......please share......

MOSFET

Old June 10th 09, 09:29 AM posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

When I said Fosgate 767's, I meant Boston Accoustics 767's. I think I made
that error several times in that last post.

MOSFET

Old June 12th 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Also, when I said "no wonder Denon went out of business", of course I meant
no wonder Denon stopped making cat audio amplifiers, because the one I had
STUNK, and I think the model number was something like DCA-400 (or at least
400 was the model number I'm quite sure, and like I said although it was
RATED at 30 x 2 it MAYBE put out 20 watts X 2 RMS. Very underpowered for a
rather large amp, a little larger than my MUCH more powerful Fosgate Punch
75 and INCREDIBLY larger than the more powerful Alpine 3522.

MOSFET

Old June 16th 09, 08:37 PM posted to rec.audio.car
suprstar

On Jun 11, 7:16*pm, "MOSFET" > wrote:
> Also, when I said "no wonder Denon went out of business", of course I meant
> no wonder Denon stopped making cat audio amplifiers

I never heard any cat audio I wanted amplified, (except maybe those
little tiny kitten mews, those are barely audible, but so cute!) Our
cat moans in the middle of the night and wakes everyone up. If they
had stuck to the plan and made cat audio attenuators like I told em
to, they woulda definately stayed in business.
Old June 17th 09, 05:46 AM posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Well I prefer Tabby amplifiers as the sound tends to be cleaner and bit more
laid back than your standard Calico amplifier.

Of course, when using a cat amplifer, you must make sure voltage does not
drop too much as you will begin drawing more amperes to compensate (ohm's
law: watts=volts X amperes) and the increased heat from higher amperage draw
CAN fry a cat of you are not careful. The smell is a dead (no pun intended)
givaway if this is occuring so I always recommend the use of circuit
breakers or fuses near the cat so this does not occur.

Of course, the other drawback from cat amplifiers is there is often a lot of
hiss (OK, well, hissing), screetching, moaning, and caterwauling. All of
this can effect SQ.

Tongue planted squarely in cheek,
MOSFET

Old June 17th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.audio.car
suprstar

Haha, seriously tho, I wish there were cat audio attenuators..

So I see traffic is approaching zero around here lately? Last time I
was here, I think you blew up some JL tweeters, captain howdy was
posting your personal info, and bob wald was preaching about pyramid's
superiority... That'd be about the time I got my last new car, and
had my entire system transplanted from the old car. You upgrade your
system? BAH! I've had the SAME system in my last 3 cars - alpine hu,
2 kicker ix704 amps that must be 12 years old - one to run the 4
corners (70x4), the other bridged for the subs (280x2), and a pair of
jl 12w6's in the trunk. Rock solid, still pounds as good as ever.
I'd upgrade any of it, if it ever died! I wonder if bob wald's
rockwood/pyramid/pyle system is still running
Old June 18th 09, 02:09 AM posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Yes, you certainly DO remember what was going on way back when. But I
don't recognize your handle. Were you using a different one back then (I
say that only because anyone who would know that much about RAC comings and
goings probably posted a thing or two, yet I don't remember any "suprstar")?

I am glad your system is still going strong. Yes, those JL 12W6 were, and
are, great subwoofers that I can easily imagine DECADES of use out of them.
Of course, any decent amplifier will work FOREVER as long as you don't fry
it in some way.

Most of my amps are 10+ years old. It would be ALL of my amps but given the
fact that NOBODY makes an aftermarket HO alternator for a Subaru Forrester
(and trust me, I've spent DAYS searching this one out), with great
reluctance I sold my trusty old Soundstream Refference 700 (150 watts X 2
RMS at 4 ohms, 700 watts RMS bridged to one channel at one ohm) and bought
an Alpine Class D 1000 watt amplifier, the MRV-850. As promised, the Class
D hype is no BS, my bass increased significantly as my Soundstream NEVER got
anywhere near putting out 700 watts (although it did see one ohm) as my
voltage would drop to around 11 volts when really cranking it. With the
Class D amp, different story, the voltage DOES NOT drop off the map anymore
despite the fact I am using four amps: a 50 watt per channel vintage Phoenix
Gold amp drives my Infinity Kappa Series 10 front tweets, a vintage Fosgate
Punch 225.2 drives my front midbass 6.5" Alpine Class R midbass drivers
(those drivers are absolutely INCREDIBLE, I CAN NOT say enough about these
speakers, and I have used the BEST 6.5" drivers MB Quart, JL and Boston
Accoustics makes, these Alpine drivers leave all others in the DUST, they
need LOTS of power, I mean AT LEAST 150 watts X 2 RMS, which is basically
what my Fosgate is giving them, but I suspect they can take much more! They
are the only midbass speaks I have ever owned where I can turn off my sub
system, turn the X-over down on the Alpines, I typically have them set at 80
Hz, and play bass heavy music at moderate levels and YOU WOULD NOT KNOW THE
SUB WASN'T WORKING!!!! That's how much bass those babies can produce, and
produce it clearly and with sharp dynamics and punch). The last amp is a
reliable Jensen (don't laugh) amplifier that puts out 40 watts X 2 (or maybe
50 watts, I'm not sure but it is rather large and, well, "fancy" looking)
that is only 6 years old that drives my rear fill and has never given me a
moment's trouble. And then of course my Alpine MRV-850 Class D subwoofer
amp.

My system sounds AMAZING right now. I am very happy with my Kappa tweets
though I am always on a quest for the "perfect in car tweeter" which I have
yet to hear though these Kappa's come close as do the old JL VR series. I
want tweeters that sound so realistic that you can close your eyes and
pretend you are at a live venue. I know this is not all the function of the
speakers as it depends on the recording process and the dynamic range of the
source component AND the dynamic range of the recording as it is the VERY
HIGH harmoics of some instruments and many other very high frequency sounds
that tip is off that we are listening to a live performance. Often it is
difficult to put your finger on exactly what separates a live performance
from a WELL recorded and WELL played back one. Most all people seem to know
immediately whether they are listening to a live performace or a canned one,
no matter how good the playback equipment, I happen to know (although a
human may be unaware this is it) that it is the VERY high frequencies that
tip us off that it is live. I want a tweeter that posses these qualities.
But, again, it is more than just speakers involved.

Point is, I enjoy trying different tweeters although I must say I am VERY
pleased at how well my Class R 6.5" Alpine's mesh with the Infinities. I
have the crossovers dialed in EXACTLY where I want it (using a Coustic XM-3,
one of the few X-overs capable of an adjustable high pass up to 8kHz with
the emplyment of a times 20, x 20, switch on one of the channels). I have
the Infinity's high passed at 4kHz, 12 dB every octive.

Anyway, I have had some recent problems with theft and needed to replace my
subwoofers. I bought a pair of 15" Accoustic Research subs that work
magnificicently. I have never used 15" subs in the past as the common
notion is that they are not as "punchy" and fast as 10"'s or even 12" subs.
I certainly don't find this to be the case. However I went with 15's b/c of
a silly reason, I just happened to have on hand a very large dual 15" 3/4"
MDF sealed box (each of the two chambers are sealed and have about 1.75
square feet of airspace) so I decided, what the heck, try 15"'s, I already
have the box ready to go. And I'm damn glad I did as these larger subs are
naturally more efficient and can play lower.

Combined with my Class D amp, I now posses on top of a beautifully sounding
car (deep, wide, soundstage with well centered and anchored center image), I
now offically posses what could best be described as a "Ground Pounder"
capable of being heard MANY blocks away IF I HAD ANY DESIRE TO DO SO.

Anyway, my $.02,

MOSFET

Old June 18th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.audio.car
suprstar

I was going by 'mfreak' back then, but I wasn't a huge poster.. I
answered some newbie q's here and there, like how to wire up subs to
different impedances or whatever.. I never had a huge elaborate
system, (well I guess it depends who you ask :P ) No eq, the only
crossovers I have are the ones on the amps, no caps, no flashy
install.. Just a sub box in the trunk with a couple amps bolted to
it, and flop the back seats down.. I always had aftermarket speakers
in the 4 corners, the stock speakers would never take the power. I
like my music, I like it loud, and I try to be respectful in
neighborhoods etc, but yeah, even quiet bass travels pretty far. In
the old days I was obnoxious and stupid, everyone heard me coming and
going everywhere. Which means everyone knew I had a system. Which
means I got broken into a lot, and got 2 complete 2x12 dual amp
systems stolen. The junkyard guy knew me cuz I kept coming back to
get windows for whatever I was driving at the time. I got real good
at replacing glass.....

I've been into car audio since I ever had a car. My first car was an
83 ford ranger with an AM radio and one speaker! I took apart the dash
and re-wired some cheap HU and 6x9's in auto shop in high school, like
every day! I eventually got an mtx terminator 12 and god knows what
pos amp, and it's been snowballing since. I bought and sold tons of
amps and subs on ebay, just to try everything out. I lost a few
bucks every time, I considered it paying for the experience. ppi, rf,
kicker, alpine, mtx, pg, jbl, boston acoustics, you name it. I pushed
my feedback into the hundreds just doing that. Anyway, it kinda
plateau'ed off 10-15 years ago, it's as loud and bassy as I care for
now, no need to go any bigger. The sq is acceptable, I wouldn't mind
pushing it, but I can't really justify the expense.. I'd pay a lot to
get a little bit more, and I'm happy where I am now, I haven't bought
a new piece of car audio gear in years. Plus I have other more
expensive hobbies now. Ie recording and production, I have a fairly
decked out recording studio in my basement. I'm a metal head, I play
in bands, got tons of instruments, mics, acoustic treatment, anything
a typical rock band would need to play or record. I spend more time
and $ on that lately than anything else.

I had some Alpine R's once, 5x7's in the front doors of my mazda.
Someone told me the doors took 5x7's, but they took 6x8's. The 5x7's
fit tho, so whatever.. I wasn't blown away by them or anything, they
worked tho. I had em crossed over at 110 (per the dial on the amp)
and really pushed em really hard. I blew one of them and got a new
pair of pioneers that the install shop was talking up, they were
bigger, took more power, and cheaper. I didn't transplant those to my
next car. Actually, the only inside speakers I ever DID transplant
was a pair of infinity 63.3i's. I was broke and heard everyone
talking em up, I was drooling over those for months before I finally
got em. At first I thought they were VERY bright and harsh sounding,
I was kinda ****ed and suprised. IDK if they broke in, or I finally
got the crossovers/eq set right, but I eventually liked em a lot.

Oh well, g2g, I'm sposed to be working :P
Old June 18th 09, 11:37 PM posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Of course I remember "mfreak". How's it hanging?

Yes, when I first got heavily into car audio when I was 18-19 and had my
first subwoofer and outboard amp put in (a Fosgate Punch 75 amp and a 12"
Punch sub in ported box), I have to admitt I had my foolish moments as I
finally possed one of "THOSE CARS" that could be heard and felt a block or
two away. I have ALWAYS been into bass, however. In one of my threads I
recount the story of how when I entered high-school the music department
(which I was a part of, I played tennor sax) had a very old Ampeg bass
amplifier that did not work. It was a huge and heavy affair with two 15"
drivers in the speaker cabinet and then it had a seperate tube "head" that
sat on top. It was about 5 feet high. Anyway, I convinced my band
instructor who I had befriended to let me take it home and try to fix it.
It turns out it just needed three new fuses and it worked fine again. Did I
immediately give it back to the school? NO FRIKKIN' WAY!!!!!

I used it as a subwoofer in my elaborate stereo in my room: I had a Technics
turntable, Technics cassette deck with Dolby B, C and the new DBX, which
actually worked AMAZINGLY well, you just could only play a tape recorded
with DBX on a DBX enabled cassette deck, But on a metal tape, I remember
recording CD's with DBX on a metal tape and then playing the original on the
CDplayer; A/B' ing it and I SWEAR TO GOD you could not hear any difference.
I had a Radio Shack 12 band EQ, Pioneer reciever, and then an Akki
real-to-real deck which made AMAZING quality recordings of course. Of
course every SINGLE component was that brushed aluminum color fashionable in
the early and middle 80's, and late seventies.

Anyhoo, that Ampeg amp CRANKED out the bass like you would not believe. My
friends used to tell me they could hear my music 9 blocks away with my
window open in my room when I REALLY had it going.

So my love of bass started early, even before this I used to DJ the dances
in middle school, now were talking late 70's, and we used a pair of
Realistic Mach One speakers as our school dance speakers and a powerful
amplifier and outboard turntables and a cassette deck. When prepping
before the dance my friends and I would have this system in our much smaller
classroom (as opposed to the gym where the dance was held) and after school
we would put on bass heavy music and just crank the hell out of it. I would
have to say that was my first taste of what I consider VERY low, VERY loud
bass. And a love affair was born.....

Anyway, so I, like you, was more reckless in my youth and, like you, I have
NO DOUBT it cost me the breaking in of my car and sometimes all of my system
was stolen, sometimes just a couple of pieces, this happened at least three
times in a five year period. I had an alarm put in but inevitably, now and
then, would forget to engage it. If you don't care about bothering your
neighbors, at least take heed in my warning that theives are everywhere and
a loud, booming system is like the ice cream man to a 7 year old.

MOSFET

Old June 22nd 09, 04:02 PM posted to rec.audio.car
suprstar

It's going ok, I kinda faded out of here when all that spam started
up, that was out of control... Yeah I've grown up a lot since then,
live and learn. I'd get a pair of 15's but they wouldn't fit in my
trunk! My 2x12 box is a little on the small side, I got those jl's
sealed at about 1.1 cf per side, minus the driver displacement, so I
call it 1.0. (they want 1.25). If I was ever gonna deck out my van of
something, that could be sweet! I would go with 1x15, but I don't
think any single 15 could out-play my 2x12's, so I'm sticking with
em. Altho I'm kinda curious about those L7 square kicker subs, I
knew a guy with a single 10 in the hatch of his camaro, that sounded
better than any 10 I ever heard. I'd prolly go so far as to say better
than any 2x10 setup I ever heard. Even if it lost a little spl over
my 2x12's, if it went lower I might be interested, but it's not really
worth the $$ for me to try it and find out..