Bose Patrician

Old December 1st 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
PanHandler[_2_]

Default Bose Patrician

As I was reading the thread on Bose 901 speakers I was reminded of a Bose
system of the mid-late sixties. It was a single cabinet unit about 8' long
by about 3' high and had a convex curved front panel with ports (slots?) at
each end near the mid and high drivers. The curved panel looked about 5
feet wide. The model name was 'Patrician' possibly with a suffix number. It
had a 30" woofer. I used to have an old Audio magazine from the era, and
there was a write-up on it, along with a photo. I've worn Google out looking
for info, but no joy on this particular 'Patrician'. Please... somebody tell
me I haven't lost my marbles and at least say "yeah, I seem to recall
something like that". Mebbe I'll sleep better hearing at least that much!
Many Thanx!

Old December 1st 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
PanHandler[_2_]

Default Bose Patrician Dadgummit - ELECTRO VOICE

"PanHandler" > wrote in message
As I was reading the thread on Bose 901 speakers I was reminded of an
ELECTRO VOICE system of the mid-late sixties. It was a single cabinet unit

Old December 1st 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.audio.tech

PanHandler wrote:
> As I was reading the thread on Bose 901 speakers I was reminded of a Bose
> system of the mid-late sixties. It was a single cabinet unit about 8' long
> by about 3' high and had a convex curved front panel with ports (slots?) at
> each end near the mid and high drivers. The curved panel looked about 5
> feet wide. The model name was 'Patrician' possibly with a suffix number. It
> had a 30" woofer. I used to have an old Audio magazine from the era, and
> there was a write-up on it, along with a photo. I've worn Google out looking
> for info, but no joy on this particular 'Patrician'. Please... somebody tell
> me I haven't lost my marbles and at least say "yeah, I seem to recall
> something like that". Mebbe I'll sleep better hearing at least that much!
> Many Thanx!

I remember that article in Audio. There was also a blurb of it in High
Fidelity magazine about the same time. Never saw or heard anything else
about it, although it was the first time I had ever heard of Bose.

- Oldguy
Old December 1st 08, 06:44 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

"PanHandler" > wrote in message
> "PanHandler" > wrote in message
> As I was reading the thread on Bose 901 speakers I was reminded of an
> ELECTRO VOICE system of the mid-late sixties.

Glad you corrected yourself, it was before Bose even started as a company.
The Patrician of course was designed for the mono era, like many other large
speakers, including the original Klipschorn, JBL Hartfield, Tannoy GRF etc.
All now collectors items, unlike anything Bose has made.

MrT.

Old December 1st 08, 06:50 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

Default Bose Patrician Dadgummit - ELECTRO VOICE - JBL!

"PanHandler" wrote ...
> "PanHandler" wrote ...
> As I was reading the thread on Bose 901 speakers I was reminded of an
> ELECTRO VOICE system of the mid-late sixties. It was a single cabinet unit
> about 8' long by about 3' high and had a convex curved front panel with
> ports (slots?) at each end near the mid and high drivers. The curved panel
> looked about 5 feet wide. The model name was 'Patrician' possibly with a
> suffix number. It had a 30" woofer. I used to have an old Audio magazine
> from the era, and there was a write-up on it, along with a photo. I've
> worn Google out looking
> for info, but no joy on this particular 'Patrician'. Please... somebody
> tell me I haven't lost my marbles and at least say "yeah, I seem to recall
> something like that". Mebbe I'll sleep better hearing at least that much!

Would you believe JBL Paragon? :-)
http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...bl/paragon.htm
Here is a nice picture with a van der Rohe "Barcelona" chair...
http://www.audioheritage.org/images/...agon-color.jpg

But Bose makes a 1/25th-scale plastic scale model that looks
vaguely reminiscent. You may have seen it in infomercials. Looks
like they get roughly the same $$$ for it as JBL did back in the day.
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06.../bose_wave.jpg

JBL also had the "venetian blind" acoustic-lens, but I don't
remember that it was used on the Paragon system. Paragon
also used the 075 Ring Radiator tweeter (aka, the acoustic
laser). The same transducer was used for ultrasonic vehicle
detection on freeway overpasses in California. At least that
is the story.

IIRC, the EV Patrician more resembled a mono phone booth.

Old December 1st 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

Default Patrician - ELECTRO VOICE

"Richard Crowley" > wrote in message
. ..
> > As I was reading the thread on Bose 901 speakers I was reminded of an
> > ELECTRO VOICE system of the mid-late sixties. It was a single cabinet

unit
> > about 8' long by about 3' high and had a convex curved front panel with
> > ports (slots?) at each end near the mid and high drivers. The curved

panel
> > looked about 5 feet wide. The model name was 'Patrician' possibly with

> > suffix number. It had a 30" woofer. I used to have an old Audio magazine
> > from the era, and there was a write-up on it, along with a photo. I've
> > worn Google out looking
> > for info, but no joy on this particular 'Patrician'. Please... somebody
> > tell me I haven't lost my marbles and at least say "yeah, I seem to

recall
> > something like that". Mebbe I'll sleep better hearing at least that

much!

> Would you believe JBL Paragon? :-)
> http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...bl/paragon.htm
> Here is a nice picture with a van der Rohe "Barcelona" chair...

http://www.audioheritage.org/images/...aragon-color.j
pg

That's a completely different beast. Even more sought after these days.

> JBL also had the "venetian blind" acoustic-lens, but I don't
> remember that it was used on the Paragon system.

No lens was used on the Paragon, the curved front encosure panel acted as
the diffuser.

MrT.

Old December 1st 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"PanHandler" > wrote in message

> As I was reading the thread on Bose 901 speakers I was
> reminded of a Bose system of the mid-late sixties. It was
> a single cabinet unit about 8' long by about 3' high and
> had a convex curved front panel with ports (slots?) at
> each end near the mid and high drivers. The curved panel
> looked about 5 feet wide. The model name was 'Patrician'
> possibly with a suffix number.

As others have observed, it was the EV Patrician, of which there were a
chronological sequence of upgraded models.

> It had a 30" woofer.

Impressive in the day, by modern standards it is a peanut-whistle. Couldn't
take much power, and had virtually no linear stroke at all.

EV still makes great speakers, only they are for professional use, mostly
for live sound. Some of their live sound offerings can sound great in a
listening room if you set them up right.

Old December 1st 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore

PanHandler wrote:

> It had a 30" woofer.

Ah, the 30W IIRC. I do have a data sheet somewhere. They actually recommended
mounting them in walls. No kidding.

Graham

Old December 1st 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore

PanHandler wrote:

> As I was reading the thread on Bose 901 speakers I was reminded of a Bose
> system of the mid-late sixties.

No. Electrovoice.

> It was a single cabinet unit about 8' long
> by about 3' high and had a convex curved front panel with ports (slots?) at
> each end near the mid and high drivers. The curved panel looked about 5
> feet wide. The model name was 'Patrician' possibly with a suffix number. It
> had a 30" woofer. I used to have an old Audio magazine from the era, and
> there was a write-up on it, along with a photo. I've worn Google out looking
> for info, but no joy on this particular 'Patrician'. Please... somebody tell
> me I haven't lost my marbles and at least say "yeah, I seem to recall
> something like that". Mebbe I'll sleep better hearing at least that much!
> Many Thanx!

http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/sh...php?photo=2518
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=19769
post 2. You need to register
http://www.savantaudio.com/evp800.html

How did you miss this on Google ?

Graham

Old December 1st 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore

"Mr.T" wrote:

> "PanHandler" > wrote in message
> > "PanHandler" > wrote in message
> >
> > As I was reading the thread on Bose 901 speakers I was reminded of an
> > ELECTRO VOICE system of the mid-late sixties.

> Glad you corrected yourself, it was before Bose even started as a company.
> The Patrician of course was designed for the mono era, like many other large
> speakers, including the original Klipschorn, JBL Hartfield, Tannoy GRF etc.
> All now collectors items, unlike anything Bose has made.

Bose are dumpster items.

Graham

EV Patrician PanHandler General 0 October 18th 05 03:41 PM
Electro Voice Patrician PanHandler Tech 0 October 18th 05 03:40 PM
Electro-Voice Patrician Robert Ramirez Marketplace 1 June 21st 04 10:35 PM
Electro-Voice Patrician Robert Ramirez Vacuum Tubes 3 June 21st 04 10:35 PM
FS EV Patrician 4 $12000Pair/Offer Bernard Bank Marketplace 2 September 28th 03 04:13 AM