Want to design a 3-way speaker with "extreeeem" excursion

Old November 1st 10, 09:35 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Default Want to design a 3-way speaker with "extreeeem" excursion

On 11/1/2010 12:17 PM ChrisCoaster spake thus:

> On Nov 1, 7:52 am, "Arny Krueger" > wrote:
>
>> "ChrisCoaster" > wrote in message
>>

>>> I'm thinking about a speaker line, both a bookshelf and a
>>> floorstanding model. Standard 8-16ohm impedance, current state
>>> of art materials, with as low-resonance a cabinet as humanly
>>> possible. Speaker would be a sealed unit, capable of handling
>>> anywhere from 50-200W.
>>>
>>> The midrange might also be visibly moved, especially on tracks
>>> with strong transient drums(think early-to-mid era Genesis or
>>> just about anything from LZ).

>> This is a rediculous cosmetic-only requirement.

[snip]

> Sigh...Why couldn't everyone be more like Dick Pierce?(a little heavy
> on the math, but otherwise takes time to lay it out in plain terms)

Arny is what I'd call a sourpuss. Very knowledgable, yes, but then, so
is Dick Pierce, who was kind enough to indulge quite a bit of ignorance
here (including my own) in a civil way. If you can't discuss things on
their lofty level, folks like Arny just turn up their noses at you.

Once you're aware of this it ceases to be a problem.

Old November 2nd 10, 01:29 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"David Nebenzahl" > wrote in message
.com
> On 11/1/2010 12:17 PM ChrisCoaster spake thus:
>
>> On Nov 1, 7:52 am, "Arny Krueger" >
>> wrote:

>>> This is a rediculous cosmetic-only requirement.

> [snip]

>> Sigh...Why couldn't everyone be more like Dick Pierce?(a
>> little heavy on the math, but otherwise takes time to
>> lay it out in plain terms)

Math is by definition *Not* "plain terms".

> Arny is what I'd call a sourpuss.

Nahh, just being very blunt because it seems to be requried to penetrate all
of the fuzzy thinking.

> Very knowledgable, yes,
> but then, so is Dick Pierce, who was kind enough to
> indulge quite a bit of ignorance here (including my own)
> in a civil way. If you can't discuss things on their
> lofty level, folks like Arny just turn up their noses at
> you.

Actually Chris, it is you who are turning your nose up at me.

> Once you're aware of this it ceases to be a problem.

If it wasn't a problem, you wouldn't be libelling me this way.

Just another case of a good deed failing to go unpunished. ;-)

Old November 3rd 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Bill Graham

"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message
> "David Nebenzahl" > wrote in message
> .com
>> On 11/1/2010 12:17 PM ChrisCoaster spake thus:

>> [snip]

>>> Sigh...Why couldn't everyone be more like Dick Pierce?(a
>>> little heavy on the math, but otherwise takes time to
>>> lay it out in plain terms)

> Math is by definition *Not* "plain terms".

On the contrary. Math is by definition the only "plain term". that's exactly
why I majored in it. It's called "quantitative", (rather than qualitative.)
And, it tells the true story every time. Have you ever tried buying a box or
leather case for some item you have, like a tape measure, or a pocket knife?
You can Google up a dozen of them, and the dimensions won't be on any one of
them. I call it "dimentionphobia", or the dumbing down of America.

Old November 3rd 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

On 11/2/2010 4:29 AM Arny Krueger spake thus:

> "David Nebenzahl" > wrote in message
> .com
>
>> Very knowledgable, yes,
>> but then, so is Dick Pierce, who was kind enough to
>> indulge quite a bit of ignorance here (including my own)
>> in a civil way. If you can't discuss things on their
>> lofty level, folks like Arny just turn up their noses at
>> you.

> Actually Chris, it is you who are turning your nose up at me.

You replied to me, yet you called me Chris.

I think you have a slight attribution problem there.