Cassette Deck Azimuth Adjustment

Old October 3rd 10, 05:06 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster

Default Cassette Deck Azimuth Adjustment

In the absence of voltmeters and removing the grounds of headphones to
get a positive L-R, are there certain pre-recorded cassette labels
that are better than others for obtaining a *reasonably* well aligned
tape head that will play at least 90% of my tapes properly? Of course
I know NEVER to use a blank cassette recorded on at HOME to align a
deck. Better to use a barely or never played recently purchased
album on cassette.

Which labels tend to produce the most consistently accurate cassettes
- A&M records, Sony, BMI, Capital, Geffen, Rhino, or others?

-CC
Old October 4th 10, 08:08 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

On 10/2/2010 9:06 PM ChrisCoaster spake thus:

> In the absence of voltmeters and removing the grounds of headphones to
> get a positive L-R, are there certain pre-recorded cassette labels
> that are better than others for obtaining a *reasonably* well aligned
> tape head that will play at least 90% of my tapes properly? Of course
> I know NEVER to use a blank cassette recorded on at HOME to align a
> deck. Better to use a barely or never played recently purchased
> album on cassette.
>
> Which labels tend to produce the most consistently accurate cassettes
> - A&M records, Sony, BMI, Capital, Geffen, Rhino, or others?

My question would be "are any of those any good at all?" (for your
stated purpose), considering that the copies are made on high-speed
duplicating equipment.

Shouldn't you be looking for some kind of standard alignment cassette
(assuming availability and budget)?

Old October 4th 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

"GregS" > wrote in message
> In article >, Sofa Slug

> wrote:
> >On 10/2/2010 9:06 PM, ChrisCoaster wrote:
> >> In the absence of voltmeters and removing the grounds of headphones to
> >> get a positive L-R, are there certain pre-recorded cassette labels
> >> that are better than others for obtaining a *reasonably* well aligned
> >> tape head that will play at least 90% of my tapes properly? Of course
> >> I know NEVER to use a blank cassette recorded on at HOME to align a
> >> deck. Better to use a barely or never played recently purchased
> >> album on cassette.
> >>
> >> Which labels tend to produce the most consistently accurate cassettes
> >> - A&M records, Sony, BMI, Capital, Geffen, Rhino, or others?
> >>

> Seems like you answered your own question. Just adjust so 90%
> of your tapes play well. You can try a known test tape, but
> what does that prove ??
>
> You got a mono switch ?

Actually his idea of lifting the ground on a pair of headphones to give only
out of phase sound is far better anyway, but that really only works if you
have a mono recording, which test tapes are, and most music cassettes are
not.

MrT.

Old October 6th 10, 12:02 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Oct 4, 12:02*pm, (GregS) wrote:

> You got a mono switch ?
>
> greg- Hide quoted text -

__________________
A mono switch - that 's the WORST thing you'd want.

I align my cassettes with a good headphone on, IN STEREO, and if it
sounds phasey or off to one side, I know the head's not tracking
properly. In mono, that would cancel out and the playback would sound
centered no matter where I turned the azimuth screw. <BONK BONK
BONK> Sound of hammer hitting head.

-CC
Old October 6th 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_]

In article >, ChrisCoaster > wrote:
>On Oct 4, 12:02=A0pm, (GregS) wrote:
>

>> You got a mono switch ?
>>
>> greg- Hide quoted text -

>A mono switch - that 's the WORST thing you'd want.
>
>I align my cassettes with a good headphone on, IN STEREO, and if it
>sounds phasey or off to one side, I know the head's not tracking
>properly. In mono, that would cancel out and the playback would sound
>centered no matter where I turned the azimuth screw. <BONK BONK
>BONK> Sound of hammer hitting head.
>
>-CC

The high frequencies will change.

greg