WAY, WAY off the topic question regarding turntables.....

Old June 25th 09, 02:37 PM posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_]

Default WAY, WAY off the topic question regarding turntables.....

In article >, (GregS) wrote:
>In article > , "MOSFET"
> > wrote:
>>> Oh I forgot, those garbage can speakers
>>> I made in 1970 used 10 inch Radio Shack coaxials.
>>> You turn the plastic can upside down, cut the hole out
>>> with a knife and put mounting holes in, stuff the inside
>>> with something like a pillow, turn it back over and rock.
>>> It was something you can do in the Army barracks
>>> without much of anything.
>>>
>>> greg

>>I love these kind of stories, I really do. You seem very much like myself
>>as a kid, not a lot of money, but an absolute LOVE of music and the gear
>>that plays the music. Oh, and a desire to listen at ear-bleeding levels.

WIth 2 sets of my bass speakers in the basement and 200 wats per
side, was enough to get 130 dB ear splitting volume.

I forgot to mention me and my friend back in the early 70's. He played bass
with a pair of Ampeg transistor rigs. Each had 4 - 12 inch Altec drivers
and a horn. 8- 12 inch Altecs can make yourself vibrate. We would hook
up his fathers tape deck and try different things, music, echo, etc.

greg
Old June 26th 09, 06:12 AM posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

That's great. I never was industrious enough to build anything other than
simple kits Radio Shack sold like I remember building an AM radio and an AM
broadcaster, but the range was pathetic so it wasn't like I could start my
own radio station. I also owned several of those 100+ projects kits that
Radio Shack sold. You could make all sorts of useless things like tone
generators and solar powered radios.

I never built anything useful for my stereo. But I seemed to be able to
scare up components like the Ampeg bass amplifier that I integrated into my
system. I loved that thing. Two 15" drivers and perhaps 150-200 watts to
drive them. Though my band director made me give it back a week before I
graduated, I enjoyed that thing immensly for 3+ years, and it certainly
created a benchmark in terms of bass power that I strove hard to replace,
which I finally achieved when, in college, I purchased a 15" subwoofer and
150 watt X 2 amplifier (the sub was unpowered). I lived in a dorm and this
did not make me very popular with my neighbors. But a side note to that, it
was in college that I first began to understand the peculiar nature of bass.
When I would crank my system (which I didn't do all that often), it wasn't
my immediate neighbors who complained, but students whose rooms were very
far from mine, but located on the boundries of the building. I remember
being VERY surprised when some upset student would complian and their room
was located 12 rooms from mine, yet my next door neighbor heard almost
nothing. I remember thinking just how strange it was.

MOSFET

Old September 14th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

I will get a record clamp. I didn't post it but a couple months ago I got a
new belt, one designed SPECIFICALLY for this table, not a generic Technics
belt designed for MANY models as there are subtle differences in length that
can lengthen or shorten the life of the belt if you don't get the EXACT
model for your table, as well as the new Audio Technica cartridge and
headshell.

It all sound FANTASTIC and I was pleased that after so many years, my vinyal
still sounded outstanding (of course, I have always neem carefull about
storing my collection in the house, not outside in the garage or a shed
where heat or cold can damage the album). I have to admitt, there is
something about vinyal records and the superior sound quality they produce
(provided you have a decent table, cartridge, amp and speakers).

Many records I played just plain sounded better in every respect than the CD
or high sampling rate MP3. I bought a new sound card as well just so I
could make superior rips of some of my records. However, as happened when I
bought a new video card, I discovered benefits I simply did not expect. For
instance, I bought the new video card 5 years ago so I could integrate my HD
TV to my computer. But perhaps the BIGGEST benefit I completely did not
expect from that purchase is now I use two LCD monitors at all times. I
have found this to be a wonderful convience and cannot imagine EVER going
back to a single monitor. For instance, I usually have a movie going on my
22" LCD, my "main" monitor, and then I surf the net, check mail, do
countless other things on my 19" secondary monitor. I LOVE that, use it
EVERY TIME I USE THE COMPUTER, and certainly use that feature more than the
integration of my computer to my TV.

Well, I discovered a similar thing with my new sound card. Although I
bought it for ripping albums, I also now have 7.1 or 5.1 audio pumped to my
Denon whenever I play a movie on my computer and tranfer it to my home
theater (as long as the movie, of course, has multi-channel audio encoded on
it). But beyond even that, the BIGGEST benefit is the dramatic improvement
is SQ with the new card. It is quite amazing the difference. I have pretty
good phones, top-of-the line ($80) 50mm driver Sound Candy over the ear
phones. I compeletley did not the expect the improvemnt. I thought my
"stock" (built-in) sound card of my Compaq delivered good sound. I was
wrong. This aftermarket card I bought sounded AMAZINGLY better, and also
came with some sound tools (beyond your basic EQ and reverb) that can
manipulate the SQ in subtle and great ways.

Anyway, it just goes to show you, as I've said, computer makers do not focus
much on sound and video quality, instead focusing on the four parameter most
consumers focus on, price, processor speed, hard drive size and RAM size.
Other things, (mouse, keyboard, sound, video, CD and DVD, and sometimes
modem hardware are now located all on the motherboard) and to keep costs
down, are often of poor quality.

MOSFET

Old September 14th 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_]

In article > , "MOSFET" > wrote:
>I will get a record clamp. I didn't post it but a couple months ago I got a
>new belt, one designed SPECIFICALLY for this table, not a generic Technics
>belt designed for MANY models as there are subtle differences in length that
>can lengthen or shorten the life of the belt if you don't get the EXACT
>model for your table, as well as the new Audio Technica cartridge and
>headshell.
>
>It all sound FANTASTIC and I was pleased that after so many years, my vinyal
>still sounded outstanding (of course, I have always neem carefull about
>storing my collection in the house, not outside in the garage or a shed
>where heat or cold can damage the album). I have to admitt, there is
>something about vinyal records and the superior sound quality they produce
>(provided you have a decent table, cartridge, amp and speakers).
>
>Many records I played just plain sounded better in every respect than the CD
>or high sampling rate MP3. I bought a new sound card as well just so I
>could make superior rips of some of my records. However, as happened when I
>bought a new video card, I discovered benefits I simply did not expect. For
>instance, I bought the new video card 5 years ago so I could integrate my HD
>TV to my computer. But perhaps the BIGGEST benefit I completely did not
>expect from that purchase is now I use two LCD monitors at all times. I
>have found this to be a wonderful convience and cannot imagine EVER going
>back to a single monitor. For instance, I usually have a movie going on my
>22" LCD, my "main" monitor, and then I surf the net, check mail, do
>countless other things on my 19" secondary monitor. I LOVE that, use it
>EVERY TIME I USE THE COMPUTER, and certainly use that feature more than the
>integration of my computer to my TV.
>
>Well, I discovered a similar thing with my new sound card. Although I
>bought it for ripping albums, I also now have 7.1 or 5.1 audio pumped to my
>Denon whenever I play a movie on my computer and tranfer it to my home
>theater (as long as the movie, of course, has multi-channel audio encoded on
>it). But beyond even that, the BIGGEST benefit is the dramatic improvement
>is SQ with the new card. It is quite amazing the difference. I have pretty
>good phones, top-of-the line ($80) 50mm driver Sound Candy over the ear
>phones. I compeletley did not the expect the improvemnt. I thought my
>"stock" (built-in) sound card of my Compaq delivered good sound. I was
>wrong. This aftermarket card I bought sounded AMAZINGLY better, and also
>came with some sound tools (beyond your basic EQ and reverb) that can
>manipulate the SQ in subtle and great ways.

I have 3 headphones in my collection. They are all different yet have
made the headlines as being great for one reason
or another. I do like the AT's the best, and don't touch your ears.

AT ATH-AD700 bought a couple years ago, open back http://www.ambientweather.com/dbathad700.html
Grado SR-60 bought in the 90's, open back
Sony MDRV6 orginal set bought in the 80's, closed back

greg

Old September 14th 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

I, as well, happen to own three sets of phones. A Grado 220 (a $200 set of
headphones), a Koss over-the-ear model k/6ALC, and the Sound Candy's top of
the line over-the-ear (I am a BIG fan of over the ear phones) 50mm driver
headphones bought at Best Buy about two years ago.

Each has their merrits and drawbacks. The Koss are just plain heavy and not
very comfortable. They sound great, but after wearing them for over 30
minutes, they begin to fatigue my ears, physically, not sonically.

The Grado's sound WONDERFUL, and are perhaps my best sounding phones, but as
ALL Grado's are (like your famous Model 60's), they are not over the ear
(and just to be very clear, when I say over-the-ear, I am reffering to
phones that completely cup your ears, cutting out to a large degree outside
sounds). So although I do like the SQ of my Grado's that I have owned the
longest, 13 years now, I have two main complaints, for $200 phones they are
built VERY, VERY cheaply and have had to be glued back together twice over
the years and have duct-tape on them now to hold them together, and then,
like I said, they are NOT over the ear which I REALLY like as my home is
often very noisy with a 16 year old neice living with my wife and I. The
Sound Candy's, on the other hand, are perhaps the VERY MOST COMFOTABLE
phones I have ever put on and CERTAINLY ever owned. I love them for that
reason. They are INCREIBLY light, feather light, yet are still over the ear
type. I find the SQ EXCELLENT, definately rivaling my Koss phones. So of
the three, I just plain tend to use the Sound Candy phones. AS I said, they
are wickedly comfortable (I can wear them all day and just plain forget they
are there), and the SQ, while perhaps not QUITE (but close) to the SQ of my
Grado's, more than make up for that fact because of their other benefits.

I, like you Greg, care very much about the quality of my phones and I have
already run into some audiophile friends of mine who out-of-hand "poo-poo"ed
my Sound Candy's as their over-the-top styling and use of colors and
graphics lead many to believe they are simply designed for kids and cannot
be taken seriously by true audiophiles. HOWEVER, their opinions quickly
change as soon as I audition them for my buddies who come over to my place.
Bottom line: SoundCandy DOES make some outstanding quality headphones,
regardless of all the "flair" associated with their design and seemingly
COUNTLESS models. The trick is to get their top of the line models with the
larger 50mm drivers (MOST of their phones use smaller 40mm drivers). But if
you have not before, GIVE THEM A TRY!!!! You may be pleasently surprised
that you can purchase such an wickedly comfortable over the ear headphone
that rivals the BEST when it comes to SQ at a reasonable price ($80).

If you are a connesiour of headphones, at least try 'em. I was very
pleasently surprised when trying them at Best Buy and have owned them for
two years now and they have been stepped on, dropped, ect., but are still
going strong (built very sturdy and strong) and sound as good as the day I
bought them. Just make sure you try the 50mm driver models.

MOSFET

Old September 15th 09, 02:17 PM posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_]

In article > , "MOSFET" > wrote:
>I, as well, happen to own three sets of phones. A Grado 220 (a $200 set of
>headphones), a Koss over-the-ear model k/6ALC, and the Sound Candy's top of
>the line over-the-ear (I am a BIG fan of over the ear phones) 50mm driver
>headphones bought at Best Buy about two years ago.
>
>Each has their merrits and drawbacks. The Koss are just plain heavy and not
>very comfortable. They sound great, but after wearing them for over 30
>minutes, they begin to fatigue my ears, physically, not sonically.
>
>The Grado's sound WONDERFUL, and are perhaps my best sounding phones, but as
>ALL Grado's are (like your famous Model 60's), they are not over the ear
>(and just to be very clear, when I say over-the-ear, I am reffering to
>phones that completely cup your ears, cutting out to a large degree outside
>sounds). So although I do like the SQ of my Grado's that I have owned the
>longest, 13 years now, I have two main complaints, for $200 phones they are
>built VERY, VERY cheaply and have had to be glued back together twice over
>the years and have duct-tape on them now to hold them together, and then,
>like I said, they are NOT over the ear which I REALLY like as my home is
>often very noisy with a 16 year old neice living with my wife and I. The
>Sound Candy's, on the other hand, are perhaps the VERY MOST COMFOTABLE
>phones I have ever put on and CERTAINLY ever owned. I love them for that
>reason. They are INCREIBLY light, feather light, yet are still over the ear
>type. I find the SQ EXCELLENT, definately rivaling my Koss phones. So of
>the three, I just plain tend to use the Sound Candy phones. AS I said, they
>are wickedly comfortable (I can wear them all day and just plain forget they
>are there), and the SQ, while perhaps not QUITE (but close) to the SQ of my
>Grado's, more than make up for that fact because of their other benefits.

I can't find any link to Sound Candy.

There would be a lot mot Audio Technica's sold if they were in the outlets.
There are similar models up to $1000 not available in the American market.
The current closed back model for mixing is highly regarded by pro's.
ATH-M50

greg

> [...]
>>>

>> I have 3 headphones in my collection. They are all different yet have
>> made the headlines as being great for one reason
>> or another. I do like the AT's the best, and don't touch your ears.
>>
>> AT ATH-AD700 bought a couple years ago, open back
>> http://www.ambientweather.com/dbathad700.html
>> Grado SR-60 bought in the 90's, open back
>> Sony MDRV6 orginal set bought in the 80's, closed back
>>

>> greg
>>>Anyway, it just goes to show you, as I've said, computer makers do not
>>>focus
>>>much on sound and video quality, instead focusing on the four parameter
>>>most
>>>consumers focus on, price, processor speed, hard drive size and RAM size.
>>>Other things, (mouse, keyboard, sound, video, CD and DVD, and sometimes
>>>modem hardware are now located all on the motherboard) and to keep costs

.. .

Old September 22nd 09, 06:35 AM posted to rec.audio.car
David Matthew Wood[_2_]

Agreed, on the good 'ol turntable. Mine is just a Pioneer PL-L1000
linear turntable, which I mounted a Shure V15 on. I really don't mind
the occasional "click" or "pop" associated with vinyl, I definitely
prefer its overall sound quality to that of a CD.

And I'm not even taking into account, the ****ty way they have been
mastering the more modern CDs (from the last 10 years or so), either.