Rich Wilner

Default mixing through headphones

hi all
I am moving into an apartment, where I will need to mix through
headphones much more than I am used to. (I use headphones now
primarily as check-mix and to get a better idea of stereo imaging).
I am wondering what suggestions people have here equipment wise. I
built a nice headphone amp, and I'm wondering what people who mix
through headphones prefer with regard to models. Is HD-600 the way to
go? should I get a pair of stax electrostatics (I can get a good pair
for about the price of HD-600s)? Are there any caveats I should keep
in mind? I will of course still have my speakers to check/ finish the
mixes.
Whatever I get, I am going to listen to as much music through them as
I possibly can before I have to mix anything (next month).
thanks!
Rich
Rich Wilner

I flaked out and posted this twice
please ignore.
this is what too many hours in the lab will do to you.
xy

stereo imaging actually gets very much sacrificed through headphones,
so i'm not sure how you have been using headphones to "get a better
idea of stereo imaging". Among other things, stereo location deals
with time-arrival discrepancies between the two ears depending on the
point source location in space. with headphones there is no
time-arrival delay. you're not hearing the right headphone output
delayed into the left ear; the left ear is not hearing the right
headphone output at all.

hi all
I am moving into an apartment, where I will need to mix through
headphones much more than I am used to. (I use headphones now
primarily as check-mix and to get a better idea of stereo imaging).
I am wondering what suggestions people have here equipment wise. I

xy

stereo imaging actually gets very much sacrificed through headphones,
so i'm not sure how you have been using headphones to "get a better
idea of stereo imaging". Among other things, stereo location deals
with time-arrival discrepancies between the two ears depending on the
point source location in space. with headphones there is no
time-arrival delay. you're not hearing the right headphone output
delayed into the left ear; the left ear is not hearing the right
headphone output at all.

aside from all that, check into "electrostatic" headphones from Grado.
They are a benchmark for high-quality headphone listening.

hi all
I am moving into an apartment, where I will need to mix through
headphones much more than I am used to. (I use headphones now
primarily as check-mix and to get a better idea of stereo imaging).
I am wondering what suggestions people have here equipment wise. I

Arny Krueger

xy wrote:

stereo imaging actually gets very much sacrificed through headphones,

I believe the operative word is changed.

so i'm not sure how you have been using headphones to "get a better
idea of stereo imaging".

Just listen.

Among other things, stereo location deals
with time-arrival discrepancies between the two ears depending on the
point source location in space.

Which coincident micing eliminates. Darn, there's still a stereo effect in
every real-world situation.

with headphones there is no time-arrival delay.

There is a time arrival delay if the mics aren't coincident. There is still
good imaging when there isn't a time-arrival delay due to coincident micing.

you're not hearing the right headphone output
delayed into the left ear; the left ear is not hearing the right
headphone output at all.

Unless there is mixing in the source, which there always is, in the real
world.

mixing on headphones Rich Wilner Pro Audio 26 May 16th 04 08:43 PM
5.1 surround headphones - Need advice Marc Brown Pro Audio 11 April 7th 04 02:48 PM
Headphones for mixing Dave Pro Audio 9 February 23rd 04 05:04 PM
Headphones for live mixing Willie K.Yee, M.D. Pro Audio 28 November 23rd 03 06:03 PM
Convert Cordless Phone to Cordless Headphones OIE Tech 5 October 15th 03 03:17 AM