Dave

Default Headphones for mixing

Don't mix on headphones.

If you have to, use the Sennheiser HD-280's or Sony MDR-7506's.

I have found that when I mix with headphones, burn it to disk, and then play
it back on a normal cd player, it always sounds too muddy. Never happens
when I mix with speakers.

mike rogers wrote in message
om...
If money was not a concern, what headphones would you suggest for
mixing purposes? I live in an apartment, nuff said I am looking at
Stax, Grado etc.

Eric Frampton

If money was not a concern, what headphones would you suggest for
mixing purposes? I live in an apartment, nuff said I am looking at
Stax, Grado etc.

Sony MDR-V700, believe it or not.
John Marsden

my $$$ is on the AKG240DFs - had 'em for over 15 years now, and they are
still a great reference in the absence of good monitors.

--
John Marsden
Little-Big Sound

"mike rogers" wrote in message
om...
If money was not a concern, what headphones would you suggest for
mixing purposes? I live in an apartment, nuff said I am looking at
Stax, Grado etc.

José Luis Amores

What headamp do you use?
I am using a Behringer 4 ch Headphones Amplifier (PowerPlay) but the sound
volume is very low.
What do yo recommend me?

Thanks.

"John Marsden" escribió en el mensaje
m...
my $$$ is on the AKG240DFs - had 'em for over 15 years now, and they are
still a great reference in the absence of good monitors.

--
John Marsden
Little-Big Sound
audio for video, film & digital media; graphics & software solutions
www.lbsound.com

"mike rogers" wrote in message
om...
If money was not a concern, what headphones would you suggest for
mixing purposes? I live in an apartment, nuff said I am looking at
Stax, Grado etc.

Arny Krueger

"mike rogers" wrote in message
om

If money was not a concern, what headphones would you suggest for
mixing purposes? I live in an apartment, nuff said I am looking at
Stax, Grado etc.

I've heard the opinion granted that Senn HD580/600 are actually more
accurate and pleasant to listen to than some Stax.

I have a pair of HD580s sitting about 10 feet from where I do most of my
mixing, but use MDR 7506s instead. My justification for this is that the
7506s are better for hearing detail, including the detail that I need to
edit out or be sure to include while mixing.

OTOH, I would never make a final decision about a mix with just 7506s.

I often play my mixes on 3-4 different systems before I'm sure that I've got
the levels *right*. IME, mixing for both live performances and recordings
often involves setting individual channel levels within just a few dB, and I
mean as few as one or two dB.

Since just about any set of headphones, IEMs, near-fields, car audio system,
HT system or home hi-fi has octave-to-octave balance that varies more than
this, and since the parts of the sound of many voices and instruments that
we use to identify their sound often seem to be weighted by just a few
octaves, finding that perfect mix for every system can be elusive. So, I
listen to the mix with a number of pretty fair systems and then try to
strike the best compromise.

Ignace Dhont

How about the AKG S271? Anyone heard that one? It just received a TEC
award and that doesn't happen everyday with headphones.

If I could find a headphone I could mix on with confidence, I'd gladly
pay $ 1000,- Would be worth every penny.

Regards,

Ignace
Scott Dorsey

Ignace Dhont wrote:
How about the AKG S271? Anyone heard that one? It just received a TEC
award and that doesn't happen everyday with headphones.

It's interesting and it's worth listening to. It sounds different than
the regular 270s.

But, the TEC award is about the most meaningless thing I could think od.

If I could find a headphone I could mix on with confidence, I'd gladly
pay $ 1000,- Would be worth every penny.

I know folks who would pay ten or fifty times that much. Sadly, such
a thing doesn't exist. Maybe when room modelling systems get a little
bit better. We're getting closer and closer every year.
Bob Cain

Scott Dorsey wrote:

If I could find a headphone I could mix on with confidence, I'd gladly
pay $ 1000,- Would be worth every penny.

I know folks who would pay ten or fifty times that much. Sadly, such
a thing doesn't exist. Maybe when room modelling systems get a little
bit better. We're getting closer and closer every year.

I'm going to do that real soon. I've got DPA 4060's to do
the 'phone and binaural speaker measurements, Mackie HR824's
to model, not a very good room but I'm going to do the
measurement near field, and I'm going to get a pair of 7506
'phones because they seem to be the most common in use here.
I have HD 590's which aren't very common.

I found a free multi-channel VST plugin that can do the
necessasary cross convolutions with IR's derived from my
measurements. So it will be testable with 7506's on any PC
DAW that can insert a VST plugin on the mix bus to monitor
through. Just need to get the 'phones and within a day I'll
be back here with full info for anyone who wants to try it
out and throw darts at it.

This will work with any phones, speakers and room I can get
my hands and my body in to measure.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Complete Charlie

"Bob Cain" wrote in message
Scott Dorsey wrote:

I found a free multi-channel VST plugin that can do the
necessasary cross convolutions with IR's derived from my
measurements.

(snip)
Bob

What is it? SIR is free, but not multichannel (although to be strictly
accurate, I suppose 2 channels is multi?); Voxengo Pristine Space isn't
free, or did I miss something?

Bob Cain

Complete Charlie wrote:

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I found a free multi-channel VST plugin that can do the
necessasary cross convolutions with IR's derived from my
measurements.

(snip)

Bob

What is it? SIR is free, but not multichannel (although to be strictly
accurate, I suppose 2 channels is multi?); Voxengo Pristine Space isn't
free, or did I miss something?

I'm sorry for the misinformation. It's not free. It's $108
from:

http://www.voxengo.com/pspace/

Bob

simpler."