Posted to rec.audio.pro
Martin Martini Martin Martini is offline

Default ns-10's mod

Hi guys.... I have recently pulled out my old Ns-10 monitors from
storage....I remember seeing in some pro studios in the 80's a modification
to these
little gems that added an inline fuse to them....anyone have this
information or know where I can get it?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

"Martin Martini" wrote:
Hi guys.... I have recently pulled out my old Ns-10 monitors from
storage....I remember seeing in some pro studios in the 80's a
modification to these
little gems that added an inline fuse to them....anyone have this
information or know where I can get it?

One of the best things that can happen to NS-10s is that they be overdriven
and their voice coils smoked. A fuse could spoil the party. ;-)

--
~
~ Roy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Martin Martini wrote:
Hi guys.... I have recently pulled out my old Ns-10 monitors from
storage....I remember seeing in some pro studios in the 80's a modification
to these
little gems that added an inline fuse to them....anyone have this
information or know where I can get it?

Just cut the line to the tweeter and put an inline fuse holder in there.
There was always argument over what size fuse to put in there... I would
suggest a 1A fast-blow as being very conservative.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Badmuts Badmuts is offline

"Roy W. Rising" wrote in message
"Martin Martini" wrote:
Hi guys.... I have recently pulled out my old Ns-10 monitors from
storage....I remember seeing in some pro studios in the 80's a
modification to these
little gems that added an inline fuse to them....anyone have this
information or know where I can get it?

One of the best things that can happen to NS-10s is that they be

overdriven
and their voice coils smoked. A fuse could spoil the party. ;-)

I don't think you understand the point of having NS-10s.

\bm

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Tony wrote:

Not my idea of conservative - even a fast-blow 1A fuse can take 2A (32W) for quite a
while, and much more short-term, enough to damage the tweeter. I would instead try a
Polyswitch below 1A, maybe with a 20 ohm resistor or lamp in parallel (as in many
commercial speakers).

You really don't want anything in series with the speaker. A 1/4-20
NoBlow is best, but a fuse that blows occasionally, combined with taking
care that you have enough power driving the speakers so that you won't
be feeding them a clipped waveform is the best policy for keeping the
speakers alive. Of course with today's mixes, the waveform is often
clipped before it hits the power amplifier, so there's more energy going
to the speakers for a given peak current level than there used to be
when NS-10s were designed.

The best modification is a piece of tissue paper over the tweeters, but
finding 1970-vintage tissue paper is difficult today and expensive when
you can find it at all. Why, just a month ago, an unopened four-pack of
Waldorf went for $870 on eBay.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tony wrote:

Not my idea of conservative - even a fast-blow 1A fuse can take 2A (32W) for quite a
while, and much more short-term, enough to damage the tweeter. I would instead try a
Polyswitch below 1A, maybe with a 20 ohm resistor or lamp in parallel (as in many
commercial speakers). I've seen temporary crossovers using 1/2W resistors as tweeter
attenuators that suffered no trauma through extensive testing, so I doubt that any sane /
non-deaf listener would need a 1A tweeter fuse. But with the Polyswitch, you'll then hear
it if/when it drops out, and be able to experiment and decide if you really want to
increase the rating (and take the extra risk).

The polyswitch has some good and bad points, and the fact that the time to
trigger is tied to the current going through it can be either a big advantage
or a big disadvantage depending on the failure mode you're trying to protect.
Problem is that the added series resistance means you need to design the
crossover around the thing and it's not an easy drop-in replacement unless
you can suffer some sonic change. On the gripping hand, it's just an NS-10
anyway.

I _believe_ the main NS-10 failure is voice coil overheating and so a
slow-acting device would be just fine. Ask me more after the AES show
when I can talk more about this.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Martin Martini" wrote:
Hi guys.... I have recently pulled out my old Ns-10 monitors from
storage....I remember seeing in some pro studios in the 80's a
modification to these
little gems that added an inline fuse to them....anyone have this
information or know where I can get it?

One of the best things that can happen to NS-10s is that they be

overdriven
and their voice coils smoked. A fuse could spoil the party. ;-)

I don't think you understand the point of having NS-10s.

A lot of people don't. I can't stand the things myself. Fletcher gets
great mixes that translate well off of them, but it doesn't look fun.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I can't stand the things myself. Fletcher gets
great mixes that translate well off of them, but it doesn't look fun.

I think he's learned to watch how the cone buckles when turning it up,
and that tells him how the bass will sound on other speakers. That's a
usage mode that might be defeated by a fuse.

me he
)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Badmuts Badmuts is offline

I don't think you understand the point of having NS-10s.

A lot of people don't. I can't stand the things myself. Fletcher gets
great mixes that translate well off of them, but it doesn't look fun.

I also traded mine for a set of heavily modded JBL's that works nicely for
me so far.

I also have a pair of HS80. They look similar to NS10's and many people
(musicians mostly) mistake them for NS10's but they sound OK and are
actually usable for creating good mixes that translate well - for me. I
still think it's all about how well you know your monitors. I've done decent
rough mixes on computer speakers way back...

Bm

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:51:29 -0400, Martin Martini wrote
(in article ):

Hi guys.... I have recently pulled out my old Ns-10 monitors from
storage....I remember seeing in some pro studios in the 80's a modification
to these
little gems that added an inline fuse to them....anyone have this
information or know where I can get it?

don't forget the toilet paper over the tweeters.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

"Ty Ford" ha scritto nel messaggio
don't forget the toilet paper over the tweeters.

Before or after playing music through them?
;-)
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Ty Ford wrote:
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:51:29 -0400, Martin Martini wrote
(in article ):

Hi guys.... I have recently pulled out my old Ns-10 monitors from
storage....I remember seeing in some pro studios in the 80's a
modification to these
little gems that added an inline fuse to them....anyone have this
information or know where I can get it?

don't forget the toilet paper over the tweeters.

Used.

geoff

Yamaha NS-10's [email protected] Pro Audio 10 June 17th 06 12:59 PM
FS: Yamaha MSP-10's fb30 Pro Audio 0 January 28th 05 10:01 PM
FS: Yamaha MSP-10's fb30 Pro Audio 0 January 28th 05 05:58 PM
FA: Yamaha MSP-10's fb30 Pro Audio 0 January 8th 05 05:08 PM
FA: Yamaha MSP-10's fb30 Pro Audio 0 December 7th 04 04:18 PM