Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

Default Norway to shut down FM radio in 2017

Just saw this and not sure what to think of it:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/19/84...-fm-radio-2017
~
Norway will shut down FM radio in the country beginning in 2017,
Radio.no reports. The Norwegian Ministry of Culture finalized a shift
date this week, making it the first country to do away with FM radio
entirely. The country plans to transition to Digital Audio Broadcasting
(DAB) as a national standard.

A statement released this week by the Ministry of Culture confirms a
switch-off date that was proposed by the Norwegian government back in
2011. The government has concluded that the country is capable of
meeting all the requirements necessary for a smooth transition to digital.
[ ... ]
~
Hard to imagine such a transition in the USA.

[Ah, but then we did get digital TV shoved down
our throats... (I'd often rather snow than pixelation,
dropouts, and other artifacts.) ]

Thoughts anyone?

==
Later...
Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

--

Someone mentioned on radio that the FCC was out to end Over The Air TV broadcasting, to free-up airwaves for more mobile electronic crap usage.

As far as I'm concerned, since radio has turned sour on Americans, and since Yip Yap sports stations congest the fine sound of FM Stereo (including HD Radio), they might as well shut down the US FM, too.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

This is disastrous news. Over-the-air broadcast(of radio or tv)
is instant: Turn it on and turn it up. I don't trust ANYTHING
that requires an internet connection for everyday listening.

With over-the-air, there are no "upgrades", errors, "connection
not found". It's just there.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 8:42:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
This is disastrous news. Over-the-air broadcast(of radio or tv)
is instant: Turn it on and turn it up. I don't trust ANYTHING
that requires an internet connection for everyday listening.

With over-the-air, there are no "upgrades", errors, "connection
not found". It's just there.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2024996/the...tions-in-2017/

From what I read, it's end of Frequency Modulated broadcasting, only offering DIGITAL type broadcasting. I believe Ron mentions it. Though, how many times do we have to sacrifice FM propagation, unless they plan to sink more operating/transmitting power into HD Radio and like?

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

Over here, couple of weeks go, we've shut the analog TV down (finally?).
only DVB-T2 now.

FM is till playing well (fortunately?).
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Ron C wrote:
Norway will shut down FM radio in the country beginning in 2017,
Radio.no reports. The Norwegian Ministry of Culture finalized a shift
date this week, making it the first country to do away with FM radio
entirely. The country plans to transition to Digital Audio Broadcasting
(DAB) as a national standard.

This is interesting. Canada is considering shutting off their DAB systems,
which are pretty much only being used by the CBC anyway. In the UK, DAB
doesn't seem to really have taken off much at all... it's a thing, but
people are more likely to listen to FM.

So I am kind of curious what the demographics of radio use in Norway are
like right now. Are they doing this because the FM band is becoming less
used, or they are doing in an attempt to make the FM band less used?

I am sure lots of people would like the bandwidth currently being used
by FM broadcast but I'd think those same people would be more pleased
to have that big chunk of L-band that DAB uses.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 9:07:48 AM UTC-4, Luxey wrote:
Over here, couple of weeks go, we've shut the analog TV down (finally?).
only DVB-T2 now.

FM is till playing well (fortunately?).

Where is here?

Last time I checked HD2 stations (online), I don't recall hearing ads, so HD1 & FM is more often listened.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Ron C wrote:
[...]

Streaming is a big deal there, much larger slice than in most of rest of
the world.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
This is interesting. Canada is considering shutting off their DAB
systems, which are pretty much only being used by the CBC anyway. In
the UK, DAB doesn't seem to really have taken off much at all... it's a
thing, but people are more likely to listen to FM.

DAB in the UK arrived rather too late. Of course it probably couldn't have
been much earlier due to the technology - but by late I mean in radio
listening habits. Radio had changed from being perhaps the primary source
of music for some. So even for those interested in a high quality source,
take up was poor. High cost of portable radios and poor battery life ruled
it out for those who just wanted a radio to listen to at breakfast.

In an attempt to improve use, they dropped the data rate to cram in more
stations. So it no longer became the possibility of being the highest
quality source.

So I am kind of curious what the demographics of radio use in Norway are
like right now. Are they doing this because the FM band is becoming less
used, or they are doing in an attempt to make the FM band less used?

I have DAB in my car, and the actual reception is miles superior to FM
around London. Not surprising as it was conceived for mobile reception.
But equipment is still expensive - the special DAB aerial on my car cost
more than many car radios complete.

I am sure lots of people would like the bandwidth currently being used
by FM broadcast but I'd think those same people would be more pleased
to have that big chunk of L-band that DAB uses.

Other thing is the transmission costs to the broadcaster for DAB are very
much higher than FM in the UK. Making it too expensive for a small
station. Not quite sure if this is intrinsic, or just down to the peculiar
way transmissions in the UK are charged for.

In the UK there were plans to turn off FM - but they have gone very quiet
recently.

At home, I installed a distribution system with 5 tuners centrally
situated, which send balanced line level signals round the house.
I only use DAB for one station - the others now mainly use DTTV tuners
which are cheap as chips here (DTTV in the UK carries most of the radio
services). Only one FM tuner used with that now.

Interesting to select the same station on DAB, DTTV and FM. And get those
who claim golden ears to tell which is which. ;-)

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.