Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

Default Tube/Valve Amp Noise

Iain Churches wrote:

"TT" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
"Iain Churches" wrote in message
i.fi...
I have updated my page on measuring tube amp noise.
Any comments/additions would be appreciated

http://www.kolumbus.fi/iain.churches...eAmpNoise.html

--

My tube amp makes a noise why I turn up the volume knob. Is that what you
mean? ...duh!

Iain

Well, you did say ANY comment would be appreaciated.

Here's a comment then, "Don't give up your day job because you will starve
trying to be a comedian". :-)

BTW for the record this is one of the reasons why I don't have valve gear,
the hiss, hum and other noises are a put off!

It is not too difficult to build a tube powered system
which is totally silent with the CD player on pause,
even ear-against-the-speaker. "Inky blackness" my
pal Richard calls it.

My 50W PPP EL34 amp has a SNR of 106dB that's
10dB better than a CD:-)))

50 watts into 8 ohms = 20Vrms of signal,
and if the noise was 106dB below this, unweighted, 20Hz to 20kHz -3dB
BW,
then noise = 20V / 200,000 = 0.2mV.

This is a fair result achieved easily with most tube power amps
if competently designed and not faulty.

As long as the noise stays low with an increase of signal level then the
noise won't be heard.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/iain.churches...em/C50_002.jpg

Tube amps usuallly have fairly simple linear PSUs
but they need quite a lot of good iron to perform well,
and this is first place where builders try to cut corners.
The amp shown above has a C-L-C-L-C-R-C supply
chain with each stage fed separately.

To achieve the above good noise figures, the power supply filtering does
not have to be so
good for PP circuits and a basic CLC for OPT CT supply is usually very
adequate,
and Quad-II with their appalling toy like PS simply relied on common
mode rejection
to allow a good noise performance.

But the Quad22 preamp was not so hot.

Also special attention needs to be paid to the grounding
scheme (there is a good thread on this topic with plenty
of info on RAT at the moment) and also to the heater
and anode supplies. It can be done. It is well worth
the effort - especially if it's a homebrew amp:-)

All that is basic good practice.

Chinese amps are not silent because, to cut costs,
they often have AC heaters and very basic supplies.

Some very cheaply priced Chinese Kracker Amplifiers which go off in
smoke after a month's use
are very quiet, but also very poorly designed in other ways,
and they go noisy if at first they were not, simply because of the
initial
balance of Idc in each half of the OPT and the CMRR in class A PP, like
Quad-II.

AV heaters do help, but Quad-II never had AC heaters, and hum from
heaters was
low.

Iain

You have referred us to your web page on tube amp noise where you
introduce the subject with...

""""""Measuring Tube Amplifier Noise.
Unlike distortion, which is a produced by the amplifier and added
to the input signal during the amplification process,
amplifier noise is not signal related. It can sometimes be heard
during low volume passages of music, and can be measured
when there is no input signal present. Such measurements are
usually taken with the input grounded.

In a tube amplifier, the internal noise is caused by the
components which comprise the circuit, such as tubes, resistors,
capacitors, gain controls etc. The power supply may add ripple
voltage, and there also may be magnetic coupling through
the chassis which will cause hum.

The noise level can be quoted in two ways, in decibels, referred
to the maximum power output, or as a voltage. The first
method may be misleading, as the amplifier under test may rarely
be reproducing music at full power in the normal
listening environment. """"""""

I have a few comments.

Amplifier noise can be signal related if the noise increases with
increased signal.
Class AB amps are subject to this phenomena since the PSU has to provide
additional
Idc to the output stage as the amp crosses over from the class A to AB
threshold.

Most certainly, the noise of any amp should be measured with its input
terminal
grounded. For quietest noise performance, series resistance between the
input terminal and grid
should be minimal, about 3k3 maximum.

Large anode swing signals in class AB are therefore in series with PSU
ripple at the CT,
and not rejected by CMRR, and this rectifier noise is in the output
unless excellent hum filtering is used along with a large value of C
between the CT ands 0V.

The noise of a typical 3 stage amplifier is usually determined by the
FIRST tube in the line up.

Adding NFB does nothing to reduce the noise in the input tube grid
circuit which is responsible for
most noise in most power and preamps.

SO, if we have done our design homework we will have applied DC to the
heaters of at least V1 of a 3 stage amp.
We will have chosen the input tube carefully for low grid noise and
microphony,
especially important with a phono or microphone amp.

Suppose we have chosen a quiet 6CG7 for the input tube to a power amp.

The grid noise with dc to the heaters will be perhaps 2uV.

If the gain with NFB of the power amp is say 20x, or 26dB, then the
noise at the output from grid input
noise will be 20uV x 20 = 400uV, or 0.4mV.
Usually hum from other sources within the amp might equal this hiss
noise from the grid and
the final outcome could thus be 1.41 x 0.4mV = 0.56mV and quite OK.

Phono preamps and mic amps have lots more gain
yet the grid noise is the same as above with 2uV being typical noise.
So you need a large input signal to get a 60dB SNR.

The tube preamp will be the amp which determines the noise figure.

I have said a lot more on how to measure preamp tube noise at
rec.audio.tubes, and how to test
each triode for its noise by amplifying the anode output noise with grid
grounded using a
typical well measuring opamp preamplifier, gain = 1,000,
and with 20Hz to 20kHz BW. Its noise will uisually be well below the
tube noise which is being
tested.

Most ppl wouldn't use a tube to amplify a low level mic signal.

They'd have a fet at the input, or a step up tranny.

Ditto MC phono.

With Phono, the BW of the amp is reduced from 20Kz-20kHz to 20Hz-50Hz
because of the RIAA filter.

The bandwidth is reduced by a factor of (50 - 20) / (20,000 = 20) =
approx to 30/20,000 = 0.0015,
and noise is reduced by the square root of this bandwidth reduction
factor, ie, by a factor of 0.038

So, if the 20kHz BW noise at the input was 2uV, and gain was say 10,000
without RIAA
then noise at the output = 2uV x 10,000 = 20mV, which is loud as bugary!

But with RIAA, noise becomes 20mV x 0.038 = 0.76mV, and mainly all
rumble at LF
and which does not offend the ear as much as it would if the noise was
unattenuated at say 1 kHz.

SO, if the signal was 0.76Vrms at the output of the phono amp, we'd have
an SNR = 60dB.

In practice, this would be hopelessly too noisy unless we had a large
input signal from an MM cart, and
so to get a phono amp to be quiet with tubes we need a step up tranny or
use a fet input
stage which is tyically 10 times quieter than any tube, because of the
higher
transconductance.

More about noise and its causes is in RDH4, and because j-fets were not
invented in 1953
when RDH4 was being written, I suggest interested ppl search on the net
and read many books to put themselves
in touch with what makes a quiet preamp.

A typical tube phono input preamp using a well chosen 12AX7
meant for MM will need at least 2mV of average input signal to give a
good enough SNR for most ppl,
but 5mV is better, say from a Shure V15.

If an MC cart with typically 0.4mV of rated input is used you should
hear the amp noise being louder
than the noise from an un-modulated vinyl groove.

Hence the need for the quieter fet input for MC.

Step up trannies with 1:10 voltage ration will lift MC signals from
0.4mV to 4mV without
adding noise.

The typical output resistance of MC = 20ohms, and such a low Z means
very low noise is made by this resistance.
When the signal is inceased, the low noise of the 20 ohms is also
increased, but
the SNR is very good at this early point in the circuit, and better than
the following amp.

In the past very few commercial phono amps or phono stages within
integrated preamps ever
had a step up transformer for MC, unless it was used for professional
studios
or used in broadcast stations.

I recall that after FM broadcasting was introduced to Oz in the 1970s,
many vinyl
records were used as signal source, and usually MC was used.

MM was a basically a consumer friendly vinyl replayer, because a
broken/worn stylus was so much
cheaper than an MM stylus.

I like MC better though.

Mic amps are more noise prone because they have no filtering of HF.

I have cross posted to rec.audio.tubes where there may be some other ppl
able to comment
and stay on topic, apart from the usual useless crew of no hopers who
warp the topic
into an abortion.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
roughplanet roughplanet is offline

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

"TT" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message

[...]

A most interesting & informative post Patrick. I hope to add something by
way of a reply tomorrow.

ruff

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

Iain Churches wrote:

It is not too difficult to build a tube powered system
which is totally silent with the CD player on pause,
even ear-against-the-speaker. "Inky blackness" my
pal Richard calls it.

My 50W PPP EL34 amp has a SNR of 106dB that's
10dB better than a CD:-)))

50 watts into 8 ohms = 20Vrms of signal,
and if the noise was 106dB below this, unweighted, 20Hz to 20kHz -3dB
BW,
then noise = 20V / 200,000 = 0.2mV.

To achieve the above good noise figures, the power supply filtering does
not have to be so
good for PP circuits and a basic CLC for OPT CT supply is usually very
adequate,
and Quad-II with their appalling toy like PS simply relied on common
mode rejection
to allow a good noise performance.

Yes. One often sees PP output stages fed straight from the
reservoir cap!

Also special attention needs to be paid to the grounding
scheme (there is a good thread on this topic with plenty
of info on RAT at the moment) and also to the heater
and anode supplies. It can be done. It is well worth
the effort - especially if it's a homebrew amp:-)

All that is basic good practice.

Easy when you know how:-) It took me a long time
by trial and error, and discussion with others, to find
out what works and what doesn't.

As someone said just recently, the schematic tells you
only part of the story. The implementation is a totally
different thing.

Amplifier noise can be signal related if the noise increases with
increased signal.
Class AB amps are subject to this phenomena since the PSU has to provide
additional
Idc to the output stage as the amp crosses over from the class A to AB
threshold.

Hmm. Yes I see. But one cannot measure the noise floor
if the amp is playing music. What would be a typical increase
as we move into class AB?

Most certainly, the noise of any amp should be measured with its input
terminal
grounded. For quietest noise performance, series resistance between the
input terminal and grid
should be minimal, about 3k3 maximum.

Yes. That's how I do it.

The noise of a typical 3 stage amplifier is usually determined by the
FIRST tube in the line up.

I found that out, too a long time ago, when pentodes were
in vogue!

Adding NFB does nothing to reduce the noise in the input tube grid
circuit which is responsible for
most noise in most power and preamps.

Agreed/understood. Wehave discussed this before.

SO, if we have done our design homework we will have applied DC to the
heaters of at least V1 of a 3 stage amp.
We will have chosen the input tube carefully for low grid noise and
microphony,
especially important with a phono or microphone amp.

Suppose we have chosen a quiet 6CG7 for the input tube to a power amp.

The grid noise with dc to the heaters will be perhaps 2uV.

If the gain with NFB of the power amp is say 20x, or 26dB, then the
noise at the output from grid input
noise will be 20uV x 20 = 400uV, or 0.4mV.
Usually hum from other sources within the amp might equal this hiss
noise from the grid and
the final outcome could thus be 1.41 x 0.4mV = 0.56mV and quite OK.

Thanks. That's good info. I am working on a power amp with a 6CG7
front end. I will take somne measurements and see how it adds up.

Phono preamps and mic amps have lots more gain
yet the grid noise is the same as above with 2uV being typical noise.
So you need a large input signal to get a 60dB SNR.

I use 5mV input and 44dB gain (0.775V out) as a design
target. It seems to be difficult to better SNR 72dB
without a FET or transformer at the input.

I have said a lot more on how to measure preamp tube noise at
rec.audio.tubes, and how to test
each triode for its noise by amplifying the anode output noise with grid
grounded using a
typical well measuring opamp preamplifier, gain = 1,000,
and with 20Hz to 20kHz BW. Its noise will uisually be well below the
tube noise which is being
tested.

Yes. I built a 60dB "measuring amp" with a Hardy type 990
discrete Op-Amp. It rather overkill but I had a box of then. Then
I got the Radford ANM3 psophometer (audio noise meter) which
has a resolution better than 10µV full scale, on the most sensitive
setting. That was a real eye opener!

http://www.kolumbus.fi/iain.churches...adfordANM3.jpg

It can also measure wide band, audio band, and with
various weighting factors.

Most ppl wouldn't use a tube to amplify a low level mic signal.

There are some very good tube mic preamps available.
Many old Neumann studio mics, type U47, U49, U50
which were converted to FET in the 1970s have since
been converted back again:-)

The bandwidth is reduced by a factor of (50 - 20) / (20,000 = 20) =
approx to 30/20,000 = 0.0015,
and noise is reduced by the square root of this bandwidth reduction
factor, ie, by a factor of 0.038

So, if the 20kHz BW noise at the input was 2uV, and gain was say 10,000
without RIAA
then noise at the output = 2uV x 10,000 = 20mV, which is loud as bugary!

But with RIAA, noise becomes 20mV x 0.038 = 0.76mV, and mainly all
rumble at LF
and which does not offend the ear as much as it would if the noise was
unattenuated at say 1 kHz.

Yes indeed. When I was at Decca, we trainees cut some
vinyl with the RIAA record curve switched out, so that it
could be replayed through a mic preamp. The surface noise
(normally attenuated by the RIAA repro curve) was horrendous.
In addition, the LF took up so much lateral space (as it was
not attenuated on record) that onlyt about 10-12 mins of
playing time was possible.

I have cross posted to rec.audio.tubes where there may be some other ppl
able to comment and stay on topic, apart from the usual useless crew
of no hopers who
warp the topic
into an abortion.

Thanks! Is nice to find someone is still interested.
It was alarming to see how fast the thread on Ground busses was
morphed into an argument about the relative merits of PC and Mac.

Regards
Iain

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

SNIP

More about noise and its causes is in RDH4, and because j-fets were not
invented in 1953
when RDH4 was being written, I suggest interested ppl search on the net
and read many books to put themselves
in touch with what makes a quiet preamp.

**Thanks for all that, Patrick. As always, very interesting. Just a minor
nit-pick though. FETs have actually been around for a long time. A very long
time. Here's a few patent references:

http://v3.espacenet.com/origdoc?DB=E...d3915900a7771e

http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=GB439457

Of course, neither device was commercially available. Imagine if people had
paid attention to this technology back in the 1930s. Having said all that,
practical FETs did not arrive until around 1958. Long after RDH4 was
written.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"flipper" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 07:19:59 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

SNIP

More about noise and its causes is in RDH4, and because j-fets were not
invented in 1953
when RDH4 was being written, I suggest interested ppl search on the net
and read many books to put themselves
in touch with what makes a quiet preamp.

**Thanks for all that, Patrick. As always, very interesting. Just a minor
nit-pick though. FETs have actually been around for a long time. A very
long
time.

Lilienfeld's FET is not a jFET.

Here's a few patent references:

http://v3.espacenet.com/origdoc?DB=E...d3915900a7771e

http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=GB439457

Of course, neither device was commercially available. Imagine if people
had
paid attention to this technology back in the 1930s.

There was the not entirely trivial problem of being unable to make
them.

As the story goes, Shockley was unsuccessfully trying to make a field
effect device (FET) like Lilienfeld's and, in investigating the
problem, Bardeen and Brattain stumbled upon the point-contact bipolar
transistor.

You have a similar 'theory' vs 'make it' problem with lasers, the
basic theory stemming from Einstein in 1917 but it took till 1960 for
the first ruby laser to work. And Gabor developed the theory of
holography in 1948, over a decade before there was a laser to make one
with.

**You're wrong. I saw a MacGyver episode which clearly showed a practical,
working laser, from the 4th or 5th century.

:-)

Trevor Wilson

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

http://v3.espacenet.com/origdoc?DB=E...&RPN=CA272437&...

[...]

The interesting thing is the visible acceleration between conception
and practical execution. -- Andre Jute
Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

Trevor Wilson wrote:

[...]

It has been said by some folks that had someone been able to make a
reliable and
useful and saleable j-fet or mosfet devices before the germanium
transistor was
invented then nobody would have bothered with germanium.

Germanium transistors were rather awful creatures and every real tubeman
laughed at them.

Then came the silicon variety, and nobody laughed any more, they cried
instead.

The consecutive discoveries only became important when there was an
application,
and now developments spur applications, and applications spur
development,
and as a species we have learnt to develop many things just for the heck
of it because a
good use will come along soon enough and money can be made.

Usually good uses are defined as being initially useful to the military,
so its all a sham anyway.....

Now the boffins are into quantum computers and goodness knows what they
use,
but the holy grail is to have a computer
not very big, that can operate like all the PCs now in the world
combined,
only 1,000 times faster. I dunno what the basic unit is, certainly not a
fet, triode or anything I know.

The CIA will be able to send a remote nano bot to your toilet seat and
relay
messages back to the Pentagon about who else other than yourself had a
****
this morning, and then work out whether anyone had any rotten
anti-establishment thoughts
over a glass of plonk the night before.

Other nano bots can be sent in to take you out, and unless you have a
country as powerful
as the US, or as China will be, then youse got no chance.
Never mind 1984, wait until 2084, or 3084, and then the fun really
begins,
but you'll think its just normal......

The trouble is that the Universe contains an infinite amount of
information
about its own composite nature and about what goes on at every part of
it
including the billions of planets with life like/unlike ours.
Humans have only tiny little finite brains, only very recently
evolved from apes, so we have an increasingly difficult task ahead of us
to know
more about how the Universe and all its matter ticks and tocks.
So we need to have more powerful computers and better devices.

Meanwhile, a lot of wisdom could be classified as noise because there
isn't
much of a positive result; the more we know, the bigger the mess we make
of the planet, and each
advance against noise, polution, inefficiencies, corruption simply
leads to more negative activities that have not been reformed.
So when we got computers, everyone was fascinated, and they never
bothered to fix all the other problems.
So if we had free non polluting energy, we'd all have money left over to
spend
on more timber for houses, and dang, there goes the last bit of forest.

So having less noise in amplifiers and all the other gear spurred the
the recording
and broadcasting industries, and while musing with music, we forgot to
solve other problems.

Somebody rich and famous and able to go to the theatre
each night of the week said in 1890, when the first phonograph was
played,

" Damn it George, now we'll have to put up with this rubbish being able
to be heard again and again. "

There was a time when an average person might have heard an orchestra
about an average of
0.85 times in a lifetime, and had to put up with the noise at the local
pub.

For the Godly, who never went to Pubs, there was **** all else to do at
night,
and not many folks about, so blokes just blew out the candle and had
another root, and
very soon too many people were about.

If only we could fix all the problems like we fixed amplifier noise,
than we all decided to have less instead of more.

This would be a real triumph for hu-manity,
and hu-womanity.

Patrick Turner.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

flipper wrote:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:27:10 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Trevor Wilson wrote:

[...]

The operative phrase is "had someone been able to make (it)"

Germanium transistors were rather awful creatures and every real tubeman
laughed at them.

At the time, germanium was the only crystalline semiconductor material
that could be made pure enough to work

Then came the silicon variety, and nobody laughed any more, they cried
instead.

Everybody had known that silicon would be a better material but it was
Texas Instruments discovering a way to make silicon pure enough that
made them possible.

People way underestimate, like generally ignore, the contribution of
materials and manufacturing technology to a 'great idea'.

The consecutive discoveries only became important when there was an
application,

There is seldom a 'shortage' of applications. The problem is usually
in being able to make whatever it is.

For example, almost all of the automobile's mechanical devices we
consider 'modern' were tried within a decade or two of the
automobile's invention. But 'automatic transmissions' made with
leather belts don't last very long and turbochargers made with the
crude metallurgy of the day burned up, not to mention the problem of
how you keep the heads and seals on the block with that much power in
the cylinder.

Same kind of problem with the gasoline engine itself. People thought
it would be a good idea but no one could make cylinders and pistons
accurate enough to contain the explosive force and the steam engine's
solution of leather seals just didn't cut it.

and now developments spur applications, and applications spur
development,
and as a species we have learnt to develop many things just for the heck
of it because a
good use will come along soon enough and money can be made.

The reason people 'make money' is because other people find their
idea/invention useful. This is called a 'good thing'.

And its called a good thing even when the result is bloody misery for
many and only good
for a few, like the invention of the atomic bomb.

Think of the "better" purposes that the expenses wasted on arms world
wide could have been
spent on. One man's good idea is a devil of an idea to another.

Usually good uses are defined as being initially useful to the military,
so its all a sham anyway.....

There are infinitely more things invented for peaceful purposes, such
as Franklin's lightning rod to prevent house fires, the steam engine
for pumping water out of mines, the steamboat for passenger and
freight service, the telephone coming from Bell's work with the deaf,
the vacuum tube triode for telephone repeater service, and the
transistor coming from a search for a better telephone 'relay' switch.

Wars hustled the whole inventionality along at a great rate of knots,
no?

Was not the repeating rifle a boon the North in the American war of
Independance?

Thousands more than necessary were shot because of it and because
men didn't know how to resolve issues peacefully.

But you make interesting points about the importance of technical
feasablity.

I heard that young bright scholars were talking dreamily about
digital information transfer in the cafes of the 1930s,
and knew a whole new world awaited them.
But huge numbers of very cheap fast switches were required, and memory
storage.
Then WW2 got in the way a bit
and many inventions were needed to fix that problem.
Another 20 years passed and technology matured a tiny bit
and then in 1997 the Internet became mainstream, ie, slightly more
"maturity,"
and now we find we are still scratching on the very surface of knowledge
about lots of things, and in 100 years time our wonderful technical
revolution of the last century will seem like very inefficient and
wasteful
horse and buggy days.
We may look back and think the whole deal about the Internet to be the
height
of imaturity and waste.

But we have better dentists and doctors than in Athens in 500BC.
( Mind you, Micheal Moore has a few words to say about modern health
care... )
Life was grand in 500BC, to be sure, and quite good enough in many ways,
except for the brutal dentists, and the doctors who'd more likely
speed your death from some minor ailment.

snip of 'hate mankind' babble

Quite OK with me Flipper. I find much to dislike about humanity.
Don't let it bother you.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
keithr keithr is offline

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Was not the repeating rifle a boon the North in the American war of
Independance?

not really it hadn't been invented then - muskets were all the rage. Come in
useful for killing indians though and all but wiping out the bison

Keith

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

keithr wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Was not the repeating rifle a boon the North in the American war of
Independance?

not really it hadn't been invented then - muskets were all the rage. Come in
useful for killing indians though and all but wiping out the bison

Easier to kill everything and think and talk later, the good ol american
way!

Well, if you kill everything, you don't have to talk later.
Problems are so much more easily solved when you have simply blown it
away.
And wild bison could be replaced with cattle ranches.

We had a similar policy here in Oz. We tried to get the aboriginies
to breed themselves out of existance. Many horrid ways were found to
discourage them.
Our Govt has just publically apologized for all the crap, and number od
indigenous are increasing.

We have to invent the wisdom to ensure everyone gets a fair go.

There are more dead kangaroos killed by the roadside than ever before.
If they were bison, they'd make a bigger mess of a car when you hit one.
Hitting an average roo is about like hitting an average 10 yr old kid.
Grim, but country dwellers are used to the carnage of Oz wildlife.
They are not inclined to double fence heights.

But you are right, but wasn't it the spiral rifling in barrels and the
bullet and cartridge which was faster to reload than the muzzle loader
and powder
was it not?

We had a documentary I saw about the American Civil War shown here
about 10 years ago when I may have watched it.

Invented "better devices" were of great assistance to whoever won.

But how many Americans die on the roads each year?

So just how good is the motor car?

What will americans do when oil runs out?

Its better to stay at home and pipe your music through some
ever so slightly noisy tubes than go out searching for an
ultimate experience.

But most western civilisations are afflicted by the
affluenza disease where the more you get, the more you want.

We are gonna affluend the whole ****ing planet.

Not by tommorrow, but in a thousand years things will have to be very
different indeed
if our species is to survive; hint, let's genetically modify our
species,
and then we can live in any sort of world. First we have GM crops,
then GM animals, and why the heck not GM people?

If we get all the problems we see around us fixed, we'll get bored out
of our minds,
so ppl will think of new exciting things, like having GM kids
to win gold medals at the Olympics, and then we will move right along
from there.....
All the rules we know now are set to be broken by the coming explosion
of knowledge.

Patrick Turner.

Keith

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

But how many Americans die on the roads each year?

About 45,000. A shocking rate. It's a little over 1/3 the US rate per head of
population here in the UK.

Graham

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Patrick Turner wrote:

But how many Americans die on the roads each year?

About 45,000. A shocking rate. It's a little over 1/3 the US rate per head
of
population here in the UK.

I have never driven in the US, but even in various
countries in the EU the difference in the driving
standard is quite marked.

Despite the high level of traffic density, the
British are still very polite, and very flexible
road users. Even though they still insist on
driving on the wrong side, at speeds measured
in mph, I enjoy driving there very much.

Iain

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

"keithr" wrote in message

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Was not the repeating rifle a boon the North in the American war of
Independance?

not really it hadn't been invented then - muskets were all the rage. Come
in useful for killing indians though and all but wiping out the bison

**Correct. The Springfield Rifle was invented by the North, during the Civil
War. It was arguably the first really mass produced item, built of
sophisticated mechanical equipment. So important was this item and it's
manufacturing system, that the factory was booby trapped, so complete
destruction would occur, if it had any chance of falling into the hands of
the South. The Springfield Rifle was credited as being, in no small part,
for the fact that the North prevailed during that, very dark, time in US
history. It has also left it's mark on the US psyche. Many Americans seem to
think that gun owning is both sane and a right for individuals, despite the
very clear wording in the 2nd Amendment.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Patrick Turner wrote:

But how many Americans die on the roads each year?

About 45,000. A shocking rate. It's a little over 1/3 the US rate per head
of
population here in the UK.

**Presumably, seat belts are compulsory to wear in the UK? Like pretty much
most places, except most of the US. Americans prefer to exhibit their
freedoms, by demanding not to wear seat belts. [Shakes head] Apparently they
gain a good deal of satisfaction by dying in automobile accidents.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
keithr keithr is offline

keithr wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Was not the repeating rifle a boon the North in the American war of
Independance?

not really it hadn't been invented then - muskets were all the rage. Come
in
useful for killing indians though and all but wiping out the bison

Easier to kill everything and think and talk later, the good ol american
way!

Shoot first and ask no embarissing questions later.

Well, if you kill everything, you don't have to talk later.
Problems are so much more easily solved when you have simply blown it
away.
And wild bison could be replaced with cattle ranches.

We had a similar policy here in Oz. We tried to get the aboriginies
to breed themselves out of existance. Many horrid ways were found to
discourage them.
Our Govt has just publically apologized for all the crap, and number od
indigenous are increasing.

The histories of the Aboriginals and the North American Indians have a lot
of parallels, they were both the subject of genocide which I suppose was
considered acceptable in those days. They both have problems with alcohol,
but the Indians are better off these days than the Aborigionals since they
own their own reservations which are effectively independant little states.
So they own their mineral rights, and, since they are not subject to state
law, are free to run casinos in states where gambling is not allowed. some
tribes have become quite rich on that.

We have to invent the wisdom to ensure everyone gets a fair go.

There are more dead kangaroos killed by the roadside than ever before.
If they were bison, they'd make a bigger mess of a car when you hit one.
Hitting an average roo is about like hitting an average 10 yr old kid.
Grim, but country dwellers are used to the carnage of Oz wildlife.
They are not inclined to double fence heights.

If you drive in New Hampshire in the US, you see huge yellow signs saying
"Brake For Moose". I don't know if you have ever seen a moose, but anybody
encountering on on the road and not braking, would definitely have a faulty
sense of self preservation. But then New Hampshire is different, seatbelts
are compulsory until the age of 18 then who cares, they also have safety
rest stops on the freeways that inevitably contain a state run liquor shop.

But you are right, but wasn't it the spiral rifling in barrels and the
bullet and cartridge which was faster to reload than the muzzle loader
and powder
was it not?

First came the paper cartridge (which set off the Indian mutiny) and rifling
then the percussion cap then the breech loader and the metallic cartridge
(The Martini Henry rifle for instance) and lastly the repeating rifle.

We had a documentary I saw about the American Civil War shown here
about 10 years ago when I may have watched it.

Probably the one made by PBS, the nearest thing that the yanks have to the
ABC. If so, it was a very good program, about 5 episodes I think.

Invented "better devices" were of great assistance to whoever won.

But how many Americans die on the roads each year?

I don't know, probably similar per capita to here.

So just how good is the motor car?

At what? If you live in Australia or the US, and you are in the middle
classes, chances are you live in a spread out suburb, and a car is an
essential part of life. If you live in Europe or Japan there is a much
greater chance that you live in a high density area with reasonable public
transport and the car is a luxury. When I lived in Weston Creek, I don't
think that I could have done without a car, now I live on the north coast of
NSW I still need it, carrying the groceries up the hill from Woollies would
be a drag on foot. To get to the major shops by bus would be an all day job
and then there would be the problem of carrying the purchases home, I can't
see the bus driver being impressed with me carrying a 6 metre length of pipe
from Bunnings on his bus. So I need my car, but in general, I only need to
fill it up every 3 weeks or so.

What will americans do when oil runs out?

Thats a way off yet, I don't expect to see it in my lifetime, although it
will get progressively more expensive. It has gone up more in the US than
here. When I went to live there in 1998, petrol was 90c per gallon (4
litres) there and just under $1 per litre here. Now it is pushing $1.50 here
but $4.00 per gallon there. Someone has come up with a process to turn
carbon dioxide and water into hydrocarbon fuel, that could kill two stones
with one bird but at what cost has yet to be determined. The biggest red
herring is bio fuel, the world will starve if they try to replace oil with
that.

Its better to stay at home and pipe your music through some
ever so slightly noisy tubes than go out searching for an
ultimate experience.

Depends what you like, peronally I have never found a system that can come
near the live performance, and that usually involves some travel.

But most western civilisations are afflicted by the
affluenza disease where the more you get, the more you want.

We are gonna affluend the whole ****ing planet.

That was predicted back in the 60's when the "Club of Rome" put out their
report "The limits to growth", they were laughed at then.The author Vance
Packard also wrote a number of prophetic books like "The Wastemakers" but
those views weren't fashionable and clashed with the basic tennets of
capitalism

Not by tommorrow, but in a thousand years things will have to be very
different indeed
if our species is to survive; hint, let's genetically modify our
species,
and then we can live in any sort of world. First we have GM crops,
then GM animals, and why the heck not GM people?

If we get all the problems we see around us fixed, we'll get bored out
of our minds,
so ppl will think of new exciting things, like having GM kids
to win gold medals at the Olympics, and then we will move right along
from there.....
All the rules we know now are set to be broken by the coming explosion
of knowledge.

I don't know about an explosion of knowledge, but there is an explosion of
information. When I started with the company that I work for we sold
computer storage units that could hold 128 9 gig drives, now the biggest
model can contain 2700 1 terrabyte drives. Where all that information is
comming from and why people find the need to keep it is beyond me, but I
suppose that it keeps a roof over my head and puts a bit by for retirement.

Keith

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
keithr keithr is offline

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Patrick Turner wrote:

But how many Americans die on the roads each year?

About 45,000. A shocking rate. It's a little over 1/3 the US rate per
head of
population here in the UK.

**Presumably, seat belts are compulsory to wear in the UK? Like pretty
much most places, except most of the US. Americans prefer to exhibit their
freedoms, by demanding not to wear seat belts. [Shakes head] Apparently
they gain a good deal of satisfaction by dying in automobile accidents.

Trevor Wilson

In Massachusetts at least, the law says that you have to wear a seatbelt,
but a policeman cannot stop you for just that. He can only charge you for
failing to wear a seatbelt if he detected another offence. In New Hampshire,
you don't have to wear a seatbelt if you are over 18, you don't need to wear
a crash helmet on a motorbike either. I don't know about the other states,
but Americans definitely do not like seatbelts which is why a lot of them
die in SUV rollovers.

Keith

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

"keithr" wrote in message

[...]

A typical supply and demand situation, after the Civil War (what an
oxymoron) there was a lot of surplus supply of weapons to the arms
manufacturers went out to create a demand where previously there was none.
Just look who bankrolls the NRA, arguably the most powerful lobby group in
the US.

Keith

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

"keithr" wrote in message

[...]

**Of course the rest of the world (and a handful of thinking Americans) can
see how the NRA manipulates the political system and the minds of the
majority of Americans into thinking that sane gun control is a bad thing.
They fail to note the outstanding success of recent gun controls here in
Australia, however. The really sad thing, is that the NRA was once a rather
proud and noble organisation, which actually was helpful in forcing
political change in the US in the first half of last Century. Sometime in
the 1960s, however, their purpose was subverted by gun and ammunition
manufacturers for a darker purpose. Profit. I guess, at some time, enough
Americans will awake from their slumber and demand change. Or not. Still,
with the coming recession in the US, violent gun crimes will occur more
frequently. Gun related homicides are already in an uptrend (since 2001)
They'll either demand easier access to more and higher power weapons (like
that's even possible!), or tougher gun controls.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"flipper" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 07:46:44 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

"keithr" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, the very clear wording of an individual right.

**Wrong. The clear wording involves the term: "...well regulated militia.."
American gun loons regularly ignore this part of the 2nd Amendment. They
also manage to ignore the 10,000 dead Americans, murdered by other gun loons
each and every year.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

"keithr" wrote in message

[...]

In the US it very much depends on where you live. The town that I lived in
for 5 1/2 years in Massachusetts had not one murder in that time, 30 miles
away though,in some of the less desirable suburbs of Boston someone was
murdered every week. I have a number of otherwise sane friends there who
wouldn't be without their guns, there seems to be a paranoia in the country
that you need to be ready to defend yourself at all times. This is
especially true in the south where you can buy guns at what amount to trash
and treasure sale without checks of any sort. In Massachusetts I couldn't
own a pistol, you have to be a US citizen to do so, but I could own a
hunting rifle as long as I could pass a simple test. In many other states,
you just have to show that you are a local resident, are not a felon, and
are not a certified (as yet) loony.

Keith

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

On Mar 19, 1:54*am, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

The clear wording [in the American Constitution] involves the term: "...well regulated militia.."
American gun loons regularly ignore this part of the 2nd Amendment. They
also manage to ignore the 10,000 dead Americans, murdered by other gun loons
each and every year.

Trevor Wilson

At the very least, Trevor, you must admit that it is a *self*-
regulating militia; whether it is *well* self-regulated depends on who
the 10,000 dead are.

Andre Jute
Darwin's little helper
Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

"keithr" wrote in message

[...]

**Indeed. What is worse, is that the facts tell us that the 10,000 dead
Americans each year have traded their lives so that a handful can own
whatever guns they want and to ensure that gun control laws are kept weak,
so that bad people have easy access to guns. This fosters further paranoia.
The reality is that guns are used by civilians around 200 times per year for
self defence. 200 - 10,000. Pretty hard to reconcile the actual facts, huh?

This is
especially true in the south where you can buy guns at what amount to
trash and treasure sale without checks of any sort.

**Yep. Therein lies the weakness of the American model. Whilst Federal
checks on new gun slaes are reasonable, secondary gun sales are largely
unregulated throughout much of the US.

In Massachusetts I couldn't
own a pistol, you have to be a US citizen to do so, but I could own a
hunting rifle as long as I could pass a simple test. In many other states,
you just have to show that you are a local resident, are not a felon, and
are not a certified (as yet) loony.

**Yep. Kinda laughable, isn't it?

Trevor Wilson

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"flipper" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:54:55 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"keithr" wrote in message

[...]

Separate clause.

**The meaning is clear enough. The US Foers refer to a "well regulated
militia" as part of the rights to gun ownership.

American gun loons regularly ignore this part of the 2nd Amendment.

Nope, they don't 'ignore' it at all. They just know how to read
English, such as "the right of the people..."

**And yet they ignore the well regulated militia part.

They also understand the origin of the right, common law precedents,
the Federalist Papers writing on the matter, the form of government
established by the Constitution, and U.S. history.

**They should understand the consistent and constant subversion of the law
by groups like the NRA, who act on behalf of the gun pushers.

They
also manage to ignore the 10,000 dead Americans, murdered by other gun
loons
each and every year.

Even if that were true it's irrelevant as the authors of the text had
no crystal balls with which to peer into 2008.

**Of course. Which is why the US Constitution can be altered to reflect the
reality of life. I suspect the Founding Fathers might alter that Amendment,
given the situation which exists today:

* The US is no longer occupied by a vicious foreign power.
* Savage natives no longer present a threat.
* Police and military forces are well equipped, organised and funded. In
fact, the US military is the most potent on the planet. It is capable of
obliterating every armed force on the planet.
* Supermarkets supply the vast quantity of animal protein.
* Guns have reload times measured in milliseconds, rather than tens of
seconds.
* Accuracy of modern, high power weapons is significantly superior to those
available several hundred years ago.
* Concealable weapons are cheap, plentiful and readily available.

Perhaps it is time to re-visit the 2nd Amendment, given the realities of
life in the 21st Century. The US Founding Fathers thoughtfully provided a
method for this to be accomplished.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

flipper wrote:

wrote:

Trevor Wilson wrote:

[...]

The 'atom bomb' is only one incarnation of particle physics that also
includes everything from x-ray machines to cancer radiation therapy to
nuclear power generation.

Think of the "better" purposes that the expenses wasted on arms world
wide could have been
spent on.

Like the 'better purpose' of being enslaved? Because the Hitlers,
Tojos, Stalins, Ho Chi Minhs and Maos of the world think you even
sillier than I do.

Hang on, the western allies were always able to outspend and out bomb
the nazis or nationalists without an A bomb.

Did anyone seriously consider stopping Mao?

He killed about 70 million of his own countries ppl and what did we do
to stop him?

I get the feeling the western leaders were happy to see a Chinese leader
reducing China's ""threat"" by reducing its population murderously.

Anyway, atomic war knowhow was inevitable.

Some things very unpleasant wait in the closits of un-utilised ideas,
and
then suddenly someone works it out and the closit door is opened;
if not some defecting German boffins in the 30s and 40s, then
most certainly by someone else, maybe Russians, Chinese if not the
Russians,
and so on.

So we have this silly scene where trillions are spent by the tribes on
sharpening their spears
but nobody is game to use them.

An invention is what man makes of it but 'it', the invention, is
neither immoral or moral.

So is invention amoral?

Usually good uses are defined as being initially useful to the military,
so its all a sham anyway.....

There are infinitely more things invented for peaceful purposes, such
as Franklin's lightning rod to prevent house fires, the steam engine
for pumping water out of mines, the steamboat for passenger and
freight service, the telephone coming from Bell's work with the deaf,
the vacuum tube triode for telephone repeater service, and the
transistor coming from a search for a better telephone 'relay' switch.

Wars hustled the whole inventionality along at a great rate of knots,
no?

Inventions don't 'stop' during a war but that doesn't alter the fact
that infinitely more are done outside of war.

Gee I thought the US became very inventive in war years....

The US was the only country who had a rising standard of living during
WW2.

This was efficient business at work for Mr and Mrs Worker.
and the US became rather High and Mighty as a result.

There is good and bad involved in this process and this isn't the group
where I would want to discuss it all in detail.

Was not the repeating rifle a boon the North in the American war of
Independance?

I don't know if you're trying to make some kind of 'southern' comment
or just have your American wars mixed up.

The 'American war of Independence was circa 1776. The Henry repeating
rifle was circa 1860.

The American Civil war is what I was talking about.

If you're a Northerner, the conflict beginning in 1861 was the
(American) "Civil War." If you're a hard core Southerner it was the
"War of Northern Aggression." If you're neutral is was the "War
Between the States."

Here in Oz, the war between Union North States and southern Confederates
which killed a million men so stupidly is known as the American Civil
War.

Thousands more than necessary were shot because of it

That's just plain silly.

Indeed it was silly so many were shot.

The war was another case of Grand Stubborness.

The 'shooting' stops when one or the other, or both, side(s) have had
enough of it. Till then it's 'necessary'.

Its stupid until it stops. Absurd, ridiculous, and vain.

The object is to have the other side decide 'first' with the least
damage to yours. Lives are actually saved... yours.

and because
men didn't know how to resolve issues peacefully.

You have a point. Things can usually be resolved 'peacefully' if
you're willing to bow low enough, kneel on command, and kiss enough
ass. Well, unless you get someone like Hitler who just wants 'your
kind' dead to begin with. In which case dying will resolve it
'peacefully' and NAZI ovens were full of 'peaceful' Jews.

A premptive strike on Germany in 1933 mighta done some good.

But the means for that to be accurate enough to take out the right
guys wasn't perfected.
Today there are conflicts still going on with stubborns refusing to give
in.
And agressors continue to agress.

Then the US invades Iraq because of its oil. Sure wasn't because of
brocoli.
Plenty worse dictators than Saddam have been left alone by the US or its
allies.
about 3 trillion bucks have been spent by US taxpayers and if the US
left
tommorow, Iraq would become a bloodbath while they sorted out amoung
themselves
what to do about who has the power and of course the ****ing oil.

And now the US can't raise a good enough force to take on Iran.
Western nation young men don't like fighting much.

Anyway, I doubt the US will declare war on Iran.
They will wait until Iran steps right out of line, like maybe with a
nuke on
Israel.

Then stand well back, for the sparks will fly; it will be very unknown
territory
into which humanity descends IMHO.

There isn't a darn thing I can do to solve the middle east problems,
but if the main oil fields become radioactive, then we'll all
have to get used to less oil.

I've had most of my life, so whether I am right or wrong in my
perceptions about
what the world is coming to just does not matter one iota because I
can't change it a bit,
and its why I don't waste hours and hours arguing on line, and
why I don't feel a need to be right about the issues.

My dear old mum thinks I should attend the University Of The Third Age,
and get with people my age to discuss and learn about the world.

She's concerned about my lack of social life.

Anyway, I don't plan to waste my time talking to anyone much about the
world;
I do enjoy talking to the few young customers who bring me electronic
gear to fix,
because they have 50 years to live, and their collective spending
habits, decisions and voting
habits will shape the future, not my silly old fuddy duddy lot of baby
boomers.

I only learn what I need to learn that's harmless and which give me an
income and
which I enjoy.

[...]

Unlikely. We'll wonder how they managed with such primitive technology
but admire the ingenuity and effort, like we do with the short lived
Pony Express.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of your ancestors.

The ancient Greeks had it pretty well worked out.

But we have better dentists and doctors than in Athens in 500BC.
( Mind you, Micheal Moore has a few words to say about modern health
care... )

Michael Moore is a lying ass.

Yeah, and whoever said Saddam had weapons of mass destruction were lying
their ass off as well.

Un-truth abounds.

Someone lamented the fact that the horse **** was knee deep in big
cities
in 1890.

But they were already up to their armpits in bull****.

Gee, you don't have to look far, and there's another pile of bull****
trotted out as facts.

Get the boys with their truck ready with their shovels and brooms...

Life was grand in 500BC, to be sure, and quite good enough in many ways,
except for the brutal dentists, and the doctors who'd more likely
speed your death from some minor ailment.

What? No 'universal heath care'?

Unisys provided the care. A Greek God. You prayed he'd help,
and sometimes he did. Sometimes he didn't.

But the Greeks realized life wasn't permanent, no big deal if you died
today rather than in 3 weeks time.

Praying was being seen to be doing something. A placibo.

Maybe that's another greek word; I don't know.

The Romans could have been a bit worse off.
Life expectancy was about 25 years, hey, that's all you need to
get old enough to pork a few shielas, and die gloriously in battle,
or ungloriously from a ruptured appendix.

snip of 'hate mankind' babble

Quite OK with me Flipper. I find much to dislike about humanity.

Just remember, you 'is' one of it.

Exactly. Atoms of H2O which were once in Julious Ceasar or Hitler
may now form part of me.

We are all one, and breathe the same air.

Apparrently, 6 billion ppl breathing puts out more CO2
than does all the world airlines.

In my estimation the biggest problem with 'humanity' are the members
who have such a low opinion of it, because it doesn't take too many
more steps before some of them decide the rest are 'in the way' and/or
begin to think about 'purifying' things.

So are you saying I am dangerous?

Definately not.

There'something else required for a Dennis the Menace dictator to get
up.

Sure he thinks everyone else is up **** creek in many ways, but he is
hell bent on changing it all.

I am quite happy to have never had children, and i see the human species
as a group
of slow moving lemmings slowly gathering pace as the mob heads over the
cliff.

But I am not conning all these available monkeys around me to
change anything.

Hitler was a very fine orator, he could galvanise millions to act
together.

George Dubbya by comparison is a dunce, but has been in power over a
much more
potentially powerful country than Germany ever was or could be.

So now the US is bogged in Iraq, peace cannot be declared, because war
wasn't declared.

Look what it took to get a victory against Germany.

Many flattened cities.

Finally, they gave up. Too many dead bodies to step over.

Dealing with Iraqis is slightly different. They don't give up so easily.
They breed sons and daughters who will fight for 100 years if that's how
long it takes.
They've been squabbling over a lousy dusty arsole of a country
for about 8,000 years. But only in recent times do they realize they
have their arses
pointing to lakes of oil beneath their feet.

The Iraqis done nothin to the US.

OK, they been a bit naughty about compliance with UN resolutions after
the first gulf war
where the US had the sense to quit when it did when the alternative was
way too tricky.
Every country is naughty. Australia even paid "trucking fee" bribes to
the
Saddam regime during wheat deals. There was a major scandal here about
it.
We went in with Dubbya in a very minor way, but had helped Saddam arm
his army.

So an Iraq war really didn't need to be. Oh, except for Oil, ohh farking
bloody OIL;
it quite bessotted a whole US regime and the multinational company elite
and military.
And now look at gas prices! Somebody has to pay for it all.

The reasons for the war were lies, and trillions have been wasted for
want of honesty
and consistency. Saddam would have been toppled sooner or later from
within,
and Sunni rule gone from bad to worse, maybe a revolution mighta
happened,
and none of that would have cost the US a cent.
The oil would have been always there to buy because whoever had power in
Iraq needed domani.
The west would have had to turn a blind eye to appalling human rights
abuses.
But it does anyway elsewhere.

Don't worry, be happy, unreal eh!

Patrick Turner.

Don't let it bother you.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

Iain Churches wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Patrick Turner wrote:

But how many Americans die on the roads each year?

About 45,000. A shocking rate. It's a little over 1/3 the US rate per head
of
population here in the UK.

I have never driven in the US, but even in various
countries in the EU the difference in the driving
standard is quite marked.

Despite the high level of traffic density, the
British are still very polite, and very flexible
road users. Even though they still insist on
driving on the wrong side, at speeds measured
in mph, I enjoy driving there very much.

Iain

Tehran is where its really exciting to drive they say.

The death rate from motor accidents is one of the highest in the world.

They put their trust in Allah, and as you should know Allah akbah!

Its the kinda place I would not be seen dead on a bicycle.

India and China are getting more wheels, and as they do the hospitals
are filling up....

Patrick Turner.

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

Trevor Wilson wrote:

"keithr" wrote in message

[...]

I got my american wars wrong. I should have asked,
" Was not the repeating rifle a boon the American Civil War? "

Patrick Turner.
Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Mark[_4_] Mark[_4_] is offline

wrote:

The clear wording [in the American Constitution] involves the term:
"...well regulated militia.."
American gun loons regularly ignore this part of the 2nd Amendment. They
also manage to ignore the 10,000 dead Americans, murdered by other gun
loons
each and every year.

Trevor Wilson

At the very least, Trevor, you must admit that it is a *self*-
regulating militia; whether it is *well* self-regulated depends on who
the 10,000 dead are.

And a large number of those 10,000 are American school children, shot in
school, buy one of their classmates who had access to a sub-machine gun.

Suff that one into ure Constitution.

Andre Jute
Darwin's little helper

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
keithr keithr is offline

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

Perhaps it is time to re-visit the 2nd Amendment, given the realities of
life in the 21st Century. The US Founding Fathers thoughtfully provided a
method for this to be accomplished.

Trevor Wilson

No US polititian would even contemplate it, it would be political suicide.
Even the non gun nuts would run him out of town for rtemoving one of their
"Rights"

Keith

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
keithr keithr is offline

"Mark" wrote in message

At the very least, Trevor, you must admit that it is a *self*-
regulating militia; whether it is *well* self-regulated depends on who
the 10,000 dead are.

And a large number of those 10,000 are American school children, shot in
school, buy one of their classmates who had access to a sub-machine gun.

A slight exaggeration, even in the US, sub machine guns are hard to come by.
Semi automatic pistols however are not in many states (gun laws in the US
are state matters and there is a huge difference between states). A lot of
the deaths however are accidents and not a few suicides too.

I did once hire a Thompson sub machine gun at a range in Las Vagas, but I
wasn't allowed to handle it other than to actually fire it down the range.
Very cathartic actually filling a large sheet of paper with holes with bits
of brass flying everywhere. Beats gambling any day.

Keith

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Mar 19, 3:33*am, Patrick Turner wrote:
Iain Churches wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

Patrick Turner.- Hide quoted text -

Patrick:

I have driven in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. A few small points: The term is
"in'sh'Allah" meaning "God Willing". I will make this left turn from
the right hand lane in'sh'Allah. I will get through this intersection
against traffic in'sh'Allah - you get the picture. I would put driving
in Riyadh the equal of anywhere in the world based on the white-
knuckle factor. The UAE, Jordan, and Bahrain are distant seconds,
Istanbul is a piece-of-cake. New York City is a pleasure by
comparison.

The in-city highway speed limit is 120kph (75mph for those still on
the old currency). The most popular vehicle in Saudi is the US-made
Chevy Suburban a massive SUV. Women are not permitted to drive.
Traffic signals and stop signs are optional, lane markers are
meaningless. Merge or die. Desert highway speeds are catch-me-if-you-
can.

One needs to put American driving in perspective as well. All of
Europe could fit inside the US east of the Mississippi. Picking one
example, my state:

" The total area of Pennsylvania is 45,308 sq mi (117,348 sq km), of
which land occupies 44,888 sq mi (116,260 sq km) and inland water 420
sq mi (1,088 sq km). The state extends 307 mi (494 km) E-W and 169 mi
(272 km) N-S. Pennsylvania is rectangular in shape, except for an
irregular side on the E and a break in the even boundary in the NW
where the line extends N-E for about 50 mi (80 km) along the shore of
Lake Erie. "

This is about half the size of England, and is the 33rd largest state
of 50.

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-big-are-...in-america.htm gives
you more detail.

Accordingly, Americans who do not live in the very few cities where
personal cars are truly a luxury (New York, Chicago, Philadelphia
(barely), Washington DC and a handful of others) drive A LOT.
Typically, I drive ~24,000 miles a year (38,400km), of which 2/3 is
business. My wife drives about 10,000 (16,000km) miles per year, very
little on business. And by US standards we are very conservative in
our habits.

So, if accidents are a function of being in harm's way, and measured
in per-mile-driven rather than per-capita, I would posit that the US
accident rate is rather low by comparison. Right now, per NHTSA (as of
2002) fatalities + reportable injuries are running under 2/100,000
(160,000km) miles driven and trending down. Similarly in England, but
their rate (also 2002) is just over 2, close-but-below France and so
forth. Most of the rest of the world is several orders-of-magnitude
higher.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure can figure.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Mpffffff... Here is the 2nd Amendment in full, as written:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free
State, the right of the People to keep and bear Arms, shall not be
infringed.

What with three commas, it may be parsed in any number of ways. Keep
in mind also that at the time, "arms" consisted of single-shot muzzle
off perhaps three shots in a minute (fewer if accuracy counted). And,
as it happened, "people" consisted of male property owners... all of
whom were technically eligble for the "Militia".

Actually, it is my personal belief as a gun owner that any individual
ought to be able to own any weapon whatsoever right up to tactical
nukes - provided that they insure them appropriately. Much as about
any individual may own about any vehicle they choose - as long a they
insure it appropriately. I own several weapons (one of which does
happen to be a functional muzzle-loader), all properly insured, and
all of them carrying a policy that covers me should they be stolen and
used in a crime. A few bucks a year additional on our property
insurance but it does give peace-of-mind.

But about every Swiss household has a fully automatic weapon in it.
Canada has a higher per-capita ownership level (fewer guns per capita,
but more individuals owning them), they are simply less prone to using
them badly, it seems. And Americans (the home of the Hummer) just like
doing things in a big way, even if that big-way is eventually just
stupid.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes

On Mar 19, 3:42*am, Patrick Turner wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:

"keithr" wrote in message

[...]

The Winchester Repeating Rifle was made practical in 1873. The Henry
repeater was patented in 1860, but did not reach _any_ troops until
1862, and even then the vast majority of troops throughout the war use
single-shot cap-and-ball rifles. The Gatling Gun came in 1862, but in
tiny, nearly meaningless numbers.

Then and now, the expression was that it took a man's weight in
bullets to kill him. Today, that weight may be distributed more
quickly.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:

[...]

So, if you're typical, your mileage is around 1.5 times the UK average.

Yet, UK road deaths per head of population are around one THIRD the US rate.

How do you account for this apparent mismatch. Does the **average** US driver cover
35,000 mi annually ?

Graham

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Mar 19, 11:20*am, Eeyore
wrote:
Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

Graham- Hide quoted text -

Do some checking.

The average UK vehicle (as of 2002) travels ~12,000 miles annually.
This compares with the American average of just over 12,000 miles
annually.

Keep in mind that nearly every American between age 16 and death owns
a car if not several, and irrespective of income. Most of those cars
don't go far. Some go exceedingly far. We own three vehicles. All
three of them (including my business miles) travel about 40,000 miles
per year. Pull out my business miles (16,000 miles) and that comes to
about 8000 per vehicle. The reality is 8, 10, and 6. But my risk is
elevated as I am driving at 2 x the national average.

As the Greyhound Bus driver answered when asked at his 2,000,000
accident-free miles ceremony how he did it: Drive like the other guy's
crazy. Excellent advice.

Just check deaths + serious injuries per mile driven and see that they
compare nearly exactly, or within 1/100,000 throughout the North
American and Western Europe. Accidents per head are not an accurate
measure. I would bet that a significant segment of the British
population simply does not own a motor-vehicle. That greatly skews the
figures if based only on a head count.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:

I would bet that a significant segment of the British population simply does not own a
motor-vehicle.

Well, from what I found, there are 25 million cars registered here and 136 million in the
USA

That's 41% vs 45%. Hardly a huge difference.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message

The Winchester Repeating Rifle was made practical in 1873. The Henry
repeater was patented in 1860, but did not reach _any_ troops until
1862, and even then the vast majority of troops throughout the war use
single-shot cap-and-ball rifles.

Interesting post Peter. The British Army had rifle regiments
by the early 1850s. The King's Royal Rifle Corps was raised
in the American Colonies in 1756 as the 62nd Foot (The
Royal American Reg't)

The Gatling Gun came in 1862, but in
tiny, nearly meaningless numbers.

There was a British Army song that went:

"Pity the poor old hottentot.
We have the Gatling gun -
he does not!"

I think that the first British regiment to repace the musket with
the rifle was the 60th Rifles (circa 1854?)

Then and now, the expression was that it took a man's weight in
bullets to kill him. Today, that weight may be distributed more
quickly.

During WW1, both the British and the Germans had
considerable success with marksmen (sharpshooters)
armed with small bore rifles. One shot (through the
centre of the forehead) was enough, when one of the
enemy was foolish enough to poke his head up above
the parapet.

The Boers had shown similar skills in South Africa
against the British some fifteen years earlier.
There is a famous photograph of an entire Bn
of British infantry laying in a shallow trench -
each man with a bullet hole dead centre above
the eyes.

By the start of WW1, the mchine gun, which the
British were slow to adopt, had made conventional
infantry tactics all but suicidal. But still, in 1914
the British swarmed out of their trenches at the
blast of a whistle, led by an officer brandishing
a revolver, a sword or an umbrella.

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Mar 19, 1:03*pm, "Iain Churches" wrote:
[...]

Iain:

Lemme see... Of repeating rifles (vs. semi-automatic or automatic
rifles), there are three options: Pump, lever and bolt. The Mausers
patented the bolt-action as a single shot in 1871, shortly followed by
magazine-equipped bolt actions. The pump action was developed nearly
simultaneously to the lever action - but was nearly exclusively used
for shotguns (and there is lots of discussion on those having to do
with how the subsequent rounds are triggered or not). So, use 1860 as
a round number for this as well. I have not seen a rolling-block
(1860) or split-breach repeater - the designs don't fit this option
well, of course

Rifle regiments? With repeaters?

During the American Revolution, the British ran into problems with the
American "amateur" soldiers. First they mostly had rifles vs. smooth-
bores, second they mostly were ex-hunters and actually aimed. There
are some descriptions of the charges at Breeds Hill (AKA "the Battle
of Bunker Hill) where the trees and branches above the battlefield on
the revolutionary side were shredded as most of the shots from the
British went over the heads of the entrenched Americans. Also,
Americans often used "buck and ball" meaning typically four pieces of
buckshot per ball. A wounded soldier took two healthy ones to carry
him off the field. A tactic that is still used today, shoot to wound
or AP mines designed to damage, not kill. Nothing new under the sun.

I will say that shooting black powder is a blast (pun intended). The
significant delay between the hammer release and the *BANG* together
with a 9 pound piece makes aiming a trip.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"flipper" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:59:40 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

"flipper" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:54:55 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

"keithr" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, it is. "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not
be infringed."

**As part of a well regulated militia.

The right ---- an explicit acknowledgement of it's pre-existence.
"Rights" are inherent to the people and not subject to the convenience
of the State. In fact, that rights are usually INconvenient to the
State is why explicit protections are stated.

**And yet, the state may alter those protections. Witness: The Patriot Act.

The people ---- which universally means the people both individually
and collectively, as in the right of "the people" peaceably to
assemble or the right of "the people" to be secure in their persons,
houses, papers, and effects.

**With the exception of those subject to the Patriot Act, of course.

The US Foers refer to a "well regulated
militia" as part of the rights to gun ownership.

It is 'referred to' in a separate clause but the rights declaration is
explicit. "The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be
infringed."

**I'm afraid it is not that clear. There are two different versions of the
2nd Amendment. Given the times that the Amendment was written, it is clear
that the Founding Fathers referred to the necessity of an armed militia.

American gun loons regularly ignore this part of the 2nd Amendment.

Nope, they don't 'ignore' it at all. They just know how to read
English, such as "the right of the people..."

**And yet they ignore the well regulated militia part.

Repeating a falsehood is still a falsehood.

**I just deal in facts.

They also understand the origin of the right, common law precedents,
the Federalist Papers writing on the matter, the form of government
established by the Constitution, and U.S. history.

**They should understand the consistent and constant subversion of the law
by groups like the NRA, who act on behalf of the gun pushers.

You are not 'the law'

**I never said I was. I said that the NRA was subverting the law, on behalf
of the gun pushers.

They
also manage to ignore the 10,000 dead Americans, murdered by other gun
loons
each and every year.

Even if that were true it's irrelevant as the authors of the text had
no crystal balls with which to peer into 2008.

**Of course. Which is why the US Constitution can be altered to reflect
the
reality of life. I suspect the Founding Fathers might alter that
Amendment,
given the situation which exists today:

What you think they 'might do' is also irrelevant. The fact of the
matter is they wrote it and unless amended it's meaning stands as
intended.

**The meaning is under some considerable debate by many people. It would
seem that the time has come to re-write that Amendment to reflect what is
truly meant and, indeed, desired by the people.

* The US is no longer occupied by a vicious foreign power.

And it wasn't in 1789 either.

**It was still under threat. The US military was in it's infancy. The
British armed forces were substantial.

* Savage natives no longer present a threat.

Does the 'natural origin' of the attacker make a difference to self
defense?

**It does, when there is a well funded, well armed police force, along with
an even better funded and armed military force available. Neither existed
several hundred years ago.

Why, in your world, is someone 'free' to defend themselves
from "savage natives" but not from savage anyone else?

**People are free to defend themselves. I do, however, challenge the
delusion that a gun is a useful means of self defence in the 21st Century.
In the US, for instance, 10,000 people are murdered via gunshot each year,
whilst around 200 are killed in so-called 'Defensive Gun Uses' (DGUs). It
would seem that in order to save around 200 lives each year, around 10,000
must die. I'll hand that equation over to the statisticians to mull over.

* Police and military forces are well equipped, organised and funded.

As provided for by the Constitution that was in play in 1789 as well.

**Except that they were not, by any standards, well equipped and funded back
then.

In fact, that the Constitution provides for calling forth the militia,
arming the militia, and the maintenance of Armies and Navies
exemplifies the folly of suggesting an 'amendment' was needed for
'arming' the (organized) militia that the Constitution already
provided for.

In
fact, the US military is the most potent on the planet. It is capable of
obliterating every armed force on the planet.

Good.

**Seems like overkill to me, but it is what it is.

* Supermarkets supply the vast quantity of animal protein.

Your choice.

**Not only mine. It is the overwhelming choice of the vast majority of
Americans.

Freedom means someone else has their choice.

**Indeed. The inhabitants of all the other Western, developed nations have
the freedom to walk the streets, secure in the knowledge that they are more
than 10 times less likely to be shot to death than an American is. That is a
nice freedom to have.

* Guns have reload times measured in milliseconds, rather than tens of
seconds.

Good.

* Accuracy of modern, high power weapons is significantly superior to
those
available several hundred years ago.

Good.

* Concealable weapons are cheap, plentiful and readily available.

They fought a war with them in 1776 and, as for 'readily available',
virtually everyone had them.

**They weren't by any stretch as concealable as modern handguns are. Nor as
reliable, fast to reload, nor as accurate and, possibly more importantly, no
where near as deadly.

Perhaps it is time to re-visit the 2nd Amendment, given the realities of
life in the 21st Century. The US Founding Fathers thoughtfully provided a
method for this to be accomplished.

That would be the proper approach rather than inventing a pile of B.S.
about what the existing text means.

**The existing text seems clear enough to most people. They refer to a "well
regulated militia". They do not refer to some good ole boys wandering
around in 4X4s shooting up the landscape.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
keithr keithr is offline

[...]

Exactly how does your insurance help me if you or someone else uses your gun
to kill me?

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Alan Rutlidge Alan Rutlidge is offline

Default Road Deaths was Tube/Valve Amp Noise

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Peter Wieck wrote:

I would bet that a significant segment of the British population simply
does not own a
motor-vehicle.

Well, from what I found, there are 25 million cars registered here and 136
million in the
USA

That's 41% vs 45%. Hardly a huge difference.

Graham

Don't you guys think the discussion is just a tad off topic?