kspraker

Default Tech expert help needed (crossover)

Finally blew one of my 5.25" component speakers the other day (I have
a hard time keeping the volume down). I'm running them with an old
Carver M240 amp (120x2).

My proposed solution: I love Crystals, and MMXpress has their SSW5.25
woofers (6ohm impedance) available. Match these up with a set of
Crystals silk tweets and passive crossovers. Hoping that with the
increased impedance I may not blow them as quickly.

My concern is what affect the increased impedance would have on their
crossover which I assume is designed primarily for 4ohm drivers (since
it appears all of their components sets utilize the same crossover.

Any thoughts?
joe.ker

different impedence will effect the xover points, there's a formula to
figure it. you can probably find it on the net somewhere

--
The Clown Prince of Car Stereo

"kspraker" wrote in message
m...
Finally blew one of my 5.25" component speakers the other day (I have
a hard time keeping the volume down). I'm running them with an old
Carver M240 amp (120x2).

My proposed solution: I love Crystals, and MMXpress has their SSW5.25
woofers (6ohm impedance) available. Match these up with a set of
Crystals silk tweets and passive crossovers. Hoping that with the
increased impedance I may not blow them as quickly.

My concern is what affect the increased impedance would have on their
crossover which I assume is designed primarily for 4ohm drivers (since
it appears all of their components sets utilize the same crossover.

Any thoughts?

MZ

different impedence will effect the xover points, there's a formula to
figure it. you can probably find it on the net somewhere

passivecrossovers.com is a good resource.

Anyway, the difference may not be that much. After all, it appears you're
going with a different speaker from what you've got now. That in and of
itself will give you a difference. Hell, the difference between left and
right side gives you a difference anyway.

But why not just replace it with the same thing?

kspraker

Well they are 5 years old and no longer available. Plus they have
always had an instance to shut down the rt side tweeter at volume
which has always driven me crazy.

Of course I always have the option of not being so lazy, and building
baffles to place 6.5" in there, so they can handle a bit more power.

Thanks for the reference at passivecrossovers.com Mark, valuable
resource.

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:06:36 -0500, "MZ"
wrote:

different impedence will effect the xover points, there's a formula to
figure it. you can probably find it on the net somewhere

passivecrossovers.com is a good resource.

Anyway, the difference may not be that much. After all, it appears you're
going with a different speaker from what you've got now. That in and of
itself will give you a difference. Hell, the difference between left and
right side gives you a difference anyway.

But why not just replace it with the same thing?

rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 4/5) Ian D. Bjorhovde Car Audio 0 March 6th 04 06:54 AM
tech needed in southern Vermont michael donahue Vacuum Tubes 1 November 9th 03 07:32 PM
Old JBL Crossover capacitorhelp needed John Noll Pro Audio 6 October 2nd 03 04:44 AM
Simple Crossover Network - Advice Needed Kalman Rubinson High End Audio 4 July 16th 03 03:07 AM