gtvolv

Default Good H/U with USB?

Hi,

I'm after a decent brand of Head Unit with a USB connector to connect a USB
memory stick with MP3's on it, and can control and play them through the
H/U.

There's a couple I've found on ebay, but they're ****ty brands...

Have tried searching some companies sites, but couldn't find anything...

Is there anything from Blaupunkt, Alpine, JVC or anything??

TIA

Just pop a mp3 cd in.

Jason McCabe

Nah, just think of the beauty of having your entire CD collection available
all the time, but never having to deal with CDs. No fumbling for CDs, CDs
getting scratched, ripped off, etc. You can make huge playlists that are
days long and turn on shuffle play. Then there's always something good
playing and there are so many songs in the mix that you never really get
sick of them. I've been doing this at home for months and I love it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just pop a mp3 cd in.

ZoSo

You just described an Ipod or Kenwood music keg.
I think Alpine has a way of connecting MP3 players via the cd changer input
but I havn't seen any that would accept a memory stick. Maybe Sony decks?

"Jason McCabe" wrote in message
Nah, just think of the beauty of having your entire CD collection
available all the time, but never having to deal with CDs. No fumbling
for CDs, CDs getting scratched, ripped off, etc. You can make huge
playlists that are days long and turn on shuffle play. Then there's
always something good playing and there are so many songs in the mix that
you never really get sick of them. I've been doing this at home for
months and I love it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just pop a mp3 cd in.

Jason McCabe

From what I've seen there are a few no-name brand HUs with a direct USB
input. I have no idea what's taking everyone so long to get these things on
the market.

I like the idea of using your own hard drive better because it's so much
cheaper per GB. All the car audio stuff available is like 10-20 GB max and
it's too expensive. iPods are good to 60 GB for ~$500, which is better but
not good enough. I have a small 100 GB Seagate USB drive that would be
perfect for the car and it was only about $230. Not only is it cheaper, but
it's the only thing capable of holding all my MP3s.

"ZoSo" wrote in message
You just described an Ipod or Kenwood music keg.
I think Alpine has a way of connecting MP3 players via the cd changer
input but I havn't seen any that would accept a memory stick. Maybe Sony
decks?

"Jason McCabe" wrote in message
Nah, just think of the beauty of having your entire CD collection
available all the time, but never having to deal with CDs. No fumbling
for CDs, CDs getting scratched, ripped off, etc. You can make huge
playlists that are days long and turn on shuffle play. Then there's
always something good playing and there are so many songs in the mix that
you never really get sick of them. I've been doing this at home for
months and I love it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just pop a mp3 cd in.

MZ

Nah, just think of the beauty of having your entire CD collection
available all the time, but never having to deal with CDs. No fumbling
for CDs, CDs getting scratched, ripped off, etc. You can make huge
playlists that are days long and turn on shuffle play. Then there's
always something good playing and there are so many songs in the mix that
you never really get sick of them. I've been doing this at home for
months and I love it.

I've been on the car computer kick for years, as many folks in this
newsgroup can attest. But I'm slightly changing my view now and saying
this: car xbox! You can install a mod chip (or buy one premodded), put a
hard drive in as large as you want, and you're set to go. The benefit it
has over car computers is that it boots in seconds, it can be shut down
without "shutting down", and you can get perfect video quality through a
simple NTSC LCD. The benefit of a car computer is that you can do things
like add FM radio USB devices or GPS. More money though.

I'm not saying this is this guy's best option, but for those who are looking
for a permanent solution to playing multimedia files in the car, I think
it's worth considering. Premodded xboxes with large hard drives tend to be
less money than many mp3 head units. Add in the LCD and you're still not
doing bad.

Todd

MZ,

You tried fasting yet?
--
Todd

gtvolv

Hey thanks... Eclipse, they look pretty good - researching them now...

And thanks to everyone for there help...

What I plan on doing: Storing MP3's on my Sony Hi-MD Minidisc player (takes
1gb discs and can act as "USB memory") and plug into H/unit. 1GB discs are
only ~$5.

It might sound a bit of a strange way of listening to music - but I think
it'll suit me !!

"ZoSo" wrote in message
You just described an Ipod or Kenwood music keg.
I think Alpine has a way of connecting MP3 players via the cd changer

input
but I havn't seen any that would accept a memory stick. Maybe Sony

decks?

Jason McCabe

It might sound a bit of a strange way of listening to music - but I think
it'll suit me !!

Sounds good to me!

In my current vehicle I don't really have room to mount my changer, and my
HU doesn't play CDs (it's an MD player). But it does have an Aux In port,
to which I plan to connect an iPod or something similar. I'm going to see
how I like not having a CD player at all. If someone doesn't come out with
a decent USB HU, I'll probably end up upgrading to an Alpine with iPod
control.