Buster Mudd

Default anyone remember Symdex speakers?

Anyone know anything about these 2-part floor standing speakers from
approximately 1984? I think the two parts were called the Sigma and
the Alpha (or maybe it was the Delta, I don't know, it's all Greek to
me). Sigma was available separately, it was a 2-way sealed cabinet
bookshelf speaker with standard binding posts on the back, but also
these gold-plated sockets in the bottom of the cabinet. The
Alpha/Delta/whatever was a floorstanding bass enclosure (I hesitate to
call it a "subwoofer") which not only had standard binding posts on
the back, but also these removeable gold-plated plugs in the top of
the cabinet. The idea was you could run a single speaker cable to the
woofer module, then park the upper cabinet on top of those
reciprocating plugs for a passive 3-way system...or, you could remove
the plugs and biwire the two cabinets.

But all of that would just be borderline gimmick if these things
didn't sound any good

....or at least interesting. And as I recall, they sounded interesting.
Really neutral, though bordering on sterile. They were only impressive
if you valued subtlety; which means maybe audiophiles would like them,
but definitely run-of-the-mill consumers would not.

I cannot even find one single reference to these speakers or the
Symdex company anywhere on the internet. Anyone else remember these,
or did I just imagine the whole thing?
itchy

In article , Buster Mudd
wrote:

[...]

The two-way sigma, is great little LS. Very good mechanical time
alignment between the two drivers, and first order x-over, gives very
3D sound. A pair of Sigmas in good working condition is worthy of ANY
amp. One of the all time greats. The Omega woof - not so great.
-itchy
George Evans

itchy wrote in message ...
In article , Buster Mudd
wrote:

[...]

The Symdex Sigma was reviewed in Vol 1, Issue 6, Fall to Winter 1978
of The Audio Critic and I think that issue is long out of print. It
did receive a good review though.

A quick check on Google turned up this company which might be the same
one. The original Symdex was also located in Massachusetts.

Good luck. GE

Symdex Systems, Ltd.
11 Beach St.
Manchester, MA 01944