Tweeter replacement for Kef 107

Old February 20th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
fid

Default Tweeter replacement for Kef 107

Hello,
Can you please suggest hi-quality tweeters to replace the T33s for the
kef 107s? I was thinking at the Scan-Speak D2905/9500. Could the
faceplate of these tweeters be swapped to fit different speakers? I
appreciate any inputs.
Thank you

Old February 20th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
fid

On Feb 19, 7:27 pm, François Yves Le Gal > wrote:
> On 19 Feb 2007 16:13:44 -0800, "fid" > wrote:
>
> >Can you please suggest hi-quality tweeters to replace the T33s for the
> >kef 107s? I was thinking at the Scan-Speak D2905/9500. Could the
> >faceplate of these tweeters be swapped to fit different speakers? I
> >appreciate any inputs.

> Just like any other quality speaker, the 107 is a system. You can't change
> the tweeter w/o modifying the filter and basically redesigning a new
> speaker. Ditto for the face plates, which are an integral part of the
> design. Modifying any driver is a very complex job.
>
> BTW, the 107 is well balanced in stock form, and the T33's are quite nice
> tweeters.

Nothing wrong with the T33 itself. The problem is that after so many
years of daily usage I am afraid the they are wearing off. That's the
reason why I was meditating the possibility of replacement.

Old February 20th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion
fid

On Feb 19, 9:45 pm, François Yves Le Gal > wrote:
> On 19 Feb 2007 17:03:29 -0800, "fid" > wrote:
>
> >The problem is that after so many
> >years of daily usage I am afraid the they are wearing off.

> Properly usedtweetersdon't really wear. OTOH the T33's use Ferrofluid,
> which sometimes can harden and become problematic .

I don't know much about speaker's subcomponents and replacements. I
spoke to a costumer service at Madisound about the possibility of
replacing the tweeters. When I asked him about scanspeak he wasn't
favorable about them. He said: "The D2905/9500 is a classic high end
tweeter. All 1" Scan-Speak tweeters have a metal face plate...so it
would be difficult to modify". Can anyone explain this? Don't all the
tweeters come with a removable faceplate (kef 107 uses square
faceplate)? Thanks

Old February 21st 07, 10:37 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
bassett

"fid" > wrote in message

>I don't know much about speaker's subcomponents and replacements. I
>spoke to a costumer service at Madisound about the possibility of
>replacing the tweeters. When I asked him about scanspeak he wasn't
>favorable about them. He said: "The D2905/9500 is a classic high end
>tweeter. All 1" Scan-Speak tweeters have a metal face plate...so it
>would be difficult to modify". Can anyone explain this? Don't all the
>tweeters come with a removable faceplate (kef 107 uses square
>faceplate)? Thanks

The Scan Speak D2905-950000 while a nice Tweeter, would not be considered
hi-end , [hundred and fifty bucks aust] Face plates are all in the 104
// 105 mm range, and are an integeral part of the tweeter and as such not
removable.

If your looking for replacements consider the new Scan Speak
D2905-990000 Revelator, this is particularly good as a replacement as it
has
a 130 mm faceplate, and will cover up most if not all old fitting holes
There priced at two fifty dollars

If you want Hi-end the Scan speak super tweeter [2k- 80khz] R2904-700000.
prices range between four and five hundred depending on where you get them.
Face plate size is again 104mm

Then we have the Twin Ribbon 100khz super tweeter from Jas Audio at $1500
each.
and very nice they are too.

bassett

Old February 26th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion
fid

On Feb 21, 4:37 am, "bassett" > wrote:
> "fid" > wrote in message
>
> >I don't know much about speaker's subcomponents and replacements. I
> >spoke to a costumer service at Madisound about the possibility of
> >replacing thetweeters. When I asked him about scanspeak he wasn't
> >favorable about them. He said: "The D2905/9500 is a classic highend
> >tweeter. All 1" Scan-Speaktweetershave a metal face plate...so it
> >would be difficult to modify". Can anyone explain this? Don't all the
> >tweeterscome with a removable faceplate (kef 107 uses square
> >faceplate)? Thanks

> The Scan Speak D2905-950000 while a nice Tweeter, would not be consideredhi-end, [hundred and fifty bucks aust] Face plates are all in the 104
> // 105 mm range, and are an integeral part of the tweeter and as such not
> removable.
>
> If your looking for replacements consider the new Scan Speak
> D2905-990000 Revelator, this is particularly good as a replacement as it
> has
> a 130 mm faceplate, and will cover up most if not all old fitting holes
> There priced at two fifty dollars
>
> If you wantHi-end the Scan speak super tweeter [2k- 80khz] R2904-700000.
> prices range between four and five hundred depending on where you get them.
> Face plate size is again 104mm
>
> Then we have the Twin Ribbon 100khz super tweeter from Jas Audio at $1500
> each.
> and very nice they are too.
>
> bassett

Thank you for posting your input. You are suggesting Scan Speak
D2905-990000. But does it have a removable faceplate? Please note
that my kefs have an unusual square plate.
However, why would I get a tweeter that goes as hi as 100Hz when the
human hearing is virtually def in those frequencies?

Thanks
Fid

Old February 28th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

"fid" > wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 19, 9:45 pm, François Yves Le Gal > wrote:
> On 19 Feb 2007 17:03:29 -0800, "fid" > wrote:
>
> >The problem is that after so many
> >years of daily usage I am afraid the they are wearing off.

> Properly usedtweetersdon't really wear. OTOH the T33's use Ferrofluid,
> which sometimes can harden and become problematic .

I don't know much about speaker's subcomponents and replacements.

**Then forget about replacing tweeters. Just use the OEM parts. You cannot
substitute *any* drivers in a system, without intimate knowledge of the
characteristics of the replacements, the crossover values and you need to
know EXACTLY what you are doing. However, you'll likely ignore this, because
you've been told this before.

Think of it this way:

Would you try to put a Porsche fuel injection system onto a Toyota Corolla
in the hope that you'll gain better performance?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Old February 28th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:28:37 +1100, Trevor Wilson > wrote:

>"fid" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>On Feb 19, 9:45 pm, François Yves Le Gal > wrote:
>> On 19 Feb 2007 17:03:29 -0800, "fid" > wrote:
>>
>> >The problem is that after so many
>> >years of daily usage I am afraid the they are wearing off.

>> Properly usedtweetersdon't really wear. OTOH the T33's use Ferrofluid,
>> which sometimes can harden and become problematic .

>I don't know much about speaker's subcomponents and replacements.

>**Then forget about replacing tweeters. Just use the OEM parts. You cannot
>substitute *any* drivers in a system, without intimate knowledge of the
>characteristics of the replacements, the crossover values and you need to
>know EXACTLY what you are doing. However, you'll likely ignore this, because
>you've been told this before.

Tweeters typically are sealed and not tuned w/ the cabinet. As long as the
frequency response of the replacement tweeter is adequate, the main problem is
matching levels. Get a replacement tweeter that has the same sensativity and
the replacement will work.
Old February 28th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"François Yves Le Gal" > wrote in
message
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:54:18 GMT, AZ Nomad
> > wrote:
>
>> Tweeters typically are sealed and not tuned w/ the
>> cabinet.

> Baffle diffraction anyone?

Crossovers, anyone?

>> As long as the
>> frequency response of the replacement tweeter is
>> adequate, the main problem is matching levels. Get a
>> replacement tweeter that has the same sensativity and
>> the replacement will work.

> Nope. Tweeters can display superficially identical
> sensitivities and responses while having very different
> electrical and/or acoustical properties.

Agreed. This is a KEF 107, not a FungooTek computer speaker. It is
definately worth it to do it *right*.

I can't believe that KEF doesn't have a replacement tweeter for sale at
price that is vastly less costly than the used equipment value of the
speaker.

Old February 28th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:21:22 +0100, François Yves Le Gal > wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:54:18 GMT, AZ Nomad >
>wrote:

>>Tweeters typically are sealed and not tuned w/ the cabinet.

>Baffle diffraction anyone?

>> As long as the
>>frequency response of the replacement tweeter is adequate, the main problem is
>>matching levels. Get a replacement tweeter that has the same sensativity and
>>the replacement will work.

>Nope. Tweeters can display superficially identical sensitivities and
>properties.

You should have no problem naming some of these properties. Otherwise,
one might think that you're talking out of your ass.
Old February 28th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:21:22 +0100, François Yves Le Gal
> > wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:54:18 GMT, AZ Nomad
>> > wrote:

>>> Tweeters typically are sealed and not tuned w/ the
>>> cabinet.

>> Baffle diffraction anyone?

>>> As long as the
>>> frequency response of the replacement tweeter is
>>> adequate, the main problem is matching levels. Get a
>>> replacement tweeter that has the same sensativity and
>>> the replacement will work.

>> Nope. Tweeters can display superficially identical
>> sensitivities and responses while having very different
>> electrical and/or acoustical properties.

> You should have no problem naming some of these
> properties. Otherwise,
> one might think that you're talking out of your ass.

Chill man, François has it right.

He says:

"Tweeters can display superficially identical sensitivities" which
basically means dB/watt.

many Hz to so many Hz within so many dB.

"while having very different electrical (properties)" which basically means
impedance curve.

and

"(very different) acoustical properties" which bascially means things like
directivity.

All very true.

tweeter replacement pil Car Audio 3 June 5th 04 05:32 PM
Replacement voice coil for Dynaudio tweeter?? JeffM. Car Audio 1 March 20th 04 08:58 PM
Bose Interaudio Replacement 10" Woofer and Tweeter (brand new) Randy Marketplace 0 March 17th 04 04:17 PM
Replacement NS-10 tweeter Shawn Pro Audio 6 February 24th 04 07:49 AM
Replacement Tweeter for one Paradigm Eclipse BP Bernard Tech 2 September 16th 03 03:23 AM