What company made the best vintage Test Equipment?

Old January 3rd 19, 11:54 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default What company made the best vintage Test Equipment?

What company made the best vintage Test Equipment?

My personal opinion is Eico. Some Heathkit was not bad too.
Another favorite, is Paco, but that is only based on one piece of test
gear, which is an signal tracer. Paco stuff is rare and hard to find.

That Paco tracer is very similar to an Eico tracer. So much similar, I
kind of wonder if the same company made it????

I mostly collect EICO test equipment though. Back in the day, they had
the biggest variety and made very sturdy and reliable gear. Amazingly,
most of that stuff still works when I buy it. Aside from replacing
line cords quite often, I recap it, spray contacts and pots, and use it.

Of course many of these devices did not have Capacitors. They had
Condensers, and those never went bad...... <LOL>

So, the next time someone tells you to recap a piece of vintage
electronics, check the schematic, and I'll bet at least half of them
use the word "Condenser". So, of course you have to mess with the
person who asked if you changed the caps, and tell them there are
none. That ought to start a "war of words"....

Anyhow, what are your favorite vintage testers?
(I am only referring to tube based testers)

By the way, I do almost all my repairs using that old test gear. My
only modern test gear is a Sencore scope, a frequency counter, and a
few multimeters.

One question I have never been able to answer, is why many Eico testers
came with both blue and silver faces? (Same model numbers). Does anyone
know? I have often wondered if the KIT version was one color and the
FINISHED ones were the other color? (Just a guess).

Old January 4th 19, 12:43 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 4:54:49 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> What company made the best vintage Test Equipment?
>
> My personal opinion is Eico. Some Heathkit was not bad too.
> Another favorite, is Paco, but that is only based on one piece of test
> gear, which is an signal tracer. Paco stuff is rare and hard to find.
>
> That Paco tracer is very similar to an Eico tracer. So much similar, I
> kind of wonder if the same company made it????
>
> I mostly collect EICO test equipment though. Back in the day, they had
> the biggest variety and made very sturdy and reliable gear. Amazingly,
> most of that stuff still works when I buy it. Aside from replacing
> line cords quite often, I recap it, spray contacts and pots, and use it.
>
> Of course many of these devices did not have Capacitors. They had
> Condensers, and those never went bad...... <LOL>
>
> So, the next time someone tells you to recap a piece of vintage
> electronics, check the schematic, and I'll bet at least half of them
> use the word "Condenser". So, of course you have to mess with the
> person who asked if you changed the caps, and tell them there are
> none. That ought to start a "war of words"....
>
> Anyhow, what are your favorite vintage testers?
> (I am only referring to tube based testers)
>
> By the way, I do almost all my repairs using that old test gear. My
> only modern test gear is a Sencore scope, a frequency counter, and a
> few multimeters.
>
> One question I have never been able to answer, is why many Eico testers
> came with both blue and silver faces? (Same model numbers). Does anyone
> know? I have often wondered if the KIT version was one color and the
> FINISHED ones were the other color? (Just a guess).

Geez, he writes a LOT like Oldstuff....... WITH LOTS OF CAPS and asking lots of INANE QUESTIONS..... Maybe it's time to repost the shoelaces post....
Old January 4th 19, 01:20 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck[_2_]

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 6:43:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> Geez, he writes a LOT like Oldstuff....... WITH LOTS OF CAPS and asking lots of INANE QUESTIONS..... Maybe it's time to repost the shoelaces post.....

There is that...

Note that when the stuff was made, it was not "Vintage" but new. Note that the likes of Eico, Heath, and other hobby-rated equipment was designed to a price-point that put it within the range of a hobbyist, and just good enough for the need. Any serious tech would have dismissed it out-of-hand for commercial-grade test equipment, as their livelihood depended on it.

I did like the shoelaces post, however.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old January 7th 19, 08:39 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 04:20:08 -0800 (PST), Peter Wieck
> wrote:

>On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 6:43:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>
>There is that...
>
>Note that when the stuff was made, it was not "Vintage" but new. Note that the
>likes of Eico, Heath, and other hobby-rated equipment was designed to a price-point
>that put it within the range of a hobbyist, and just good enough for the need. Any
>serious tech would have dismissed it out-of-hand for commercial-grade test equipment,
>as their livelihood depended on it.

This is a hobby and only a hobby. I have no intention of starting a
business. These days the only customers would want me to repair modern
solid state gear, and I want no part of that. I work on tube gear
because I enjoy it. Solid state stuff only frustrates me, and if that is
what I had to repair, I'd switch hobbies to bird watching or something.
Hobbies are intended to be enjoyable.

I learned electronics in the 1960s. What I used was the same test gear
that I use now. Eico, Heathkit, Allied, etc. It has always served me
well, and has allowed me to repair lots of old tube radios and amps. I
have never seen a need for the commercial grade stuff. One exception was
the old 50's scope that I used back then. That thing was way to big,
heavy, and lacked features. I now have a Sencore PS163 scope and it
works great.

Anyhow, this test gear was made for the things I work on, and is simple
to use. So, it's appropriate for my hobby and my needs. Not to mention
all that old gear was built like an Army tank and lasts forever......

>I did like the shoelaces post, however.

I have no idea what you're talking about!!!!

Old January 9th 19, 02:18 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes

> >I did like the shoelaces post, however.

> I have no idea what you're talking about!!!!

What I'm talking about was a tongue-in-cheek post I wrote a while back in response to your inane incessant questions about what type of capacitors to use and your associated tirade against Chinese parts.

It was over in rec.antiques.radio+phono, where you were posting your drivel under "oldstuff" or some such pseudonym.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.antiques.radio$2Bphono/shoelaces%7Csort:date/rec.antiques.radio+phono/NN8-LnK11Ig/isXRqcQoBQAJ

Audio post-production company looking to sell used audio equipment [email protected] Pro Audio 0 January 4th 08 06:55 PM
Test Equipment Michael High End Audio 4 February 3rd 06 04:19 AM
DIY but exceptionally high end semi portable HA system made with pro recording studio equipment [email protected] High End Audio 2 August 21st 05 04:35 PM
FS: TEST EQUIPMENT Mike Nowlen Marketplace 0 February 20th 05 02:04 AM
FS: TEST EQUIPMENT Mike Nowlen Vacuum Tubes 0 February 20th 05 02:04 AM