The most important tubes ever made.....

Old December 28th 18, 04:11 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default The most important tubes ever made.....

The most important tubes ever made.....

12AX7
12AU7
12AT7

6V6
6L6

807

EL34

5U4
5Y3

6X4 or 12X4

35C5 or 50C5

35W4

12BA6

12BE6

6SA7

6SK7 or 12SK7

12SQ7

12AV6

6SN7

Old December 28th 18, 02:44 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck[_2_]

Not hardly.

The most important tube ever made, very likely, was the 200-series Directy Heated Triode. With which one may duplicate pretty much any function at pretty much any level of pretty much any tube you listed. The only limiting factor would be the quantity required.

Much as the Ferrari V12 followed from the first Otto-cycle naptha-powered engine, and so, while impressive, could hardly be described as Important.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old December 31st 18, 08:38 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob

On 12/27/18 19:11, wrote:
> The most important tubes ever made.....
>
> 12AX7
> 12AU7
> 12AT7
>
> 6V6
> 6L6

etc.

well maybe for audio but you're forgetting why tubes were more or less
used/invented in the first place, to receive radio signals, and the
audio amplifier portion was just a part of that.

For radios the pentagrid converter tube comes to mind as one of the most
universally used tubes ever for AM radio, in home sets and cars in
particular. For FM sets there are a number of VHF RF amplifiers.

Then there's the sharp cutoff pentode, which is ideal for an IF strip
with high gain, relatively low noise, and AGC.

And don't forget the CRT. For that one, there was a model that nearly
eveything used for about a decade [higher end sets anyway], a 25 inch
diagonal square color tube from RCA [I forget the number].

And there are many specialized tubes for microwave oscillation and
amplification that are STILL USED on satellites, last I heard.

And that magnetron in your home microwave. That's right, it's a tube.
Invented in the late 30's, for use in RADAR systems.

So yeah tube audio is one usage, and maybe those tube numbers are some
of the most important in the audio world [especially guitar amplifiers].
But overall, I think some of the others deserve a mention.

/me has even conceived of a 'graviton generator' using something similar
to a magnetron filed with Xe gas. You'd need tremendous power to make
anything useful out of it, but the resonant cavities [in theory] would
emit gravitons when spinning a heavy gas in tight little circles like
that...

so yeah, it's likely that tube tech isn't going away any time soon, and
will continue to improve over time. In space this may become even MORE
important, depending.

--
(aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie'
"Straighten up and fly right"
Old January 1st 19, 04:19 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
MarkS[_3_]

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 10:11:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> The most important tubes ever made.....
>
> 12AX7
> 12AU7
> 12AT7
>
> 6V6
> 6L6
>
> 807
>
> EL34
>
> 5U4
> 5Y3
>
> 6X4 or 12X4
>
> 35C5 or 50C5
>
> 35W4
>
> 12BA6
>
> 12BE6
>
> 6SA7
>
> 6SK7 or 12SK7
>
> 12SQ7
>
> 12AV6
>
> 6SN7

A list like this is like a list of the best guitar players ever. But it is good to see activity in this forum again. So, my list would add the 6550 & 6SJ7GT at least And Billy Gibbons to the latest guitar picker list I read the other day!
Old January 3rd 19, 11:54 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 19:19:24 -0800 (PST), MarkS >
wrote:

>On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 10:11:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> The most important tubes ever made.....
>>
>> 12AX7
>> 12AU7
>> 12AT7
>>
>> 6V6
>> 6L6
>>
>> 807
>>
>> EL34
>>
>> 5U4
>> 5Y3
>>
>> 6X4 or 12X4
>>
>> 35C5 or 50C5
>>
>> 35W4
>>
>> 12BA6
>>
>> 12BE6
>>
>> 6SA7
>>
>> 6SK7 or 12SK7
>>
>> 12SQ7
>>
>> 12AV6
>>
>> 6SN7

>A list like this is like a list of the best guitar players ever. But it is good to see activity
> in this forum again. So, my list would add the 6550 & 6SJ7GT at least And Billy
>Gibbons to the latest guitar picker list I read the other day!

I am glad this forum is still here and sort of active. I enjoy working
on tube equip for my hobby. If I had to work on solid state stuff, my
soldering iron would have been packed away in the attic years ago. I do
on occasion work on some early transistor stuff, but when I see ICs, the
device goes right out the door, untouched.

You added some good tubes to the list.

--
I'm having a problem with the New Year. I keep writing 1920 instead of
2019. Maybe I am showing my age
Old January 3rd 19, 11:54 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 11:38:54 -0800, Big Bad Bob
> wrote:

>On 12/27/18 19:11, wrote:
>> The most important tubes ever made.....
>>
>> 12AX7
>> 12AU7
>> 12AT7
>>
>> 6V6
>> 6L6

>etc.
>
>well maybe for audio but you're forgetting why tubes were more or less
>used/invented in the first place, to receive radio signals, and the
>audio amplifier portion was just a part of that.
>
>For radios the pentagrid converter tube comes to mind as one of the most
>universally used tubes ever for AM radio, in home sets and cars in
>particular. For FM sets there are a number of VHF RF amplifiers.
>
>Then there's the sharp cutoff pentode, which is ideal for an IF strip
>with high gain, relatively low noise, and AGC.
>
>And don't forget the CRT. For that one, there was a model that nearly
>eveything used for about a decade [higher end sets anyway], a 25 inch
>diagonal square color tube from RCA [I forget the number].
>
>And there are many specialized tubes for microwave oscillation and
>amplification that are STILL USED on satellites, last I heard.
>
>And that magnetron in your home microwave. That's right, it's a tube.
>Invented in the late 30's, for use in RADAR systems.
>
>So yeah tube audio is one usage, and maybe those tube numbers are some
>of the most important in the audio world [especially guitar amplifiers].
> But overall, I think some of the others deserve a mention.
>

>/me has even conceived of a 'graviton generator' using something similar
>to a magnetron filed with Xe gas. You'd need tremendous power to make
>anything useful out of it, but the resonant cavities [in theory] would
>emit gravitons when spinning a heavy gas in tight little circles like
>that...
>
>so yeah, it's likely that tube tech isn't going away any time soon, and
>will continue to improve over time. In space this may become even MORE
>important, depending.

Yea, I know microwaves have tubes, and I did consider CRTs on the list
but I was mostly thinking in terms of home radios and audio amps.

Please add some tube numbers for those small tubes you mentioned above.
I would like to see what you and others have to say.

I also neglected to include some of the major transmitting tubes, mostly
because I dont know the numbers. Although I do know the 807 was used
quite a lot in the early days. That tube became the 6L6 without the
plate on the cap. But the 807 also worked great for audio.

Old Today, 03:43 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob

On 01/03/19 14:54, wrote:
> I am glad this forum is still here and sort of active. I enjoy working
> on tube equip for my hobby. If I had to work on solid state stuff, my
> soldering iron would have been packed away in the attic years ago. I do
> on occasion work on some early transistor stuff, but when I see ICs, the
> device goes right out the door, untouched.

heh yeah, tubes made the electronics easier to deal with, that's for
sure. An IC with an OEM label on it is like a 'mystery black box' and
if you don't have an adequate schematic for the thing, damn near
impossible to troubleshoot. I've had to deal with desoldering and
replacing ICs and you can't do it to test-troubleshoot, especially CPUs
and logic arrays. Best method to deal with those is clip the leads,
desolder them, then re-solder a new device where the old one was and
hope that was it, unless you have some really detailed information on
how to confirm that it's bad (etc.).

Trying to desolder an IC such that you preserve it to re-solder back in
place is likely to damage the circuit board. That goes double with
surface mount.

Tubes are also fun in that they actually look like they're doing
something, especially beam power tubes with the blue glow.