Looking for links and order info for PARTS

Old December 16th 18, 02:55 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Looking for links and order info for PARTS

Back in the 60s and 70s I worked on old electronics all the time. Life
took me in other directions, and the solid state gear was a big "turn
off" for me. Not long ago, I got a few old tube radios at a garage sale
and that got me back into my old hobby. I am retired now and have the
time too. Fortunately I still had a lot of my old Eico and Heathkit test
gear stored in a shed.

It was like riding a bike. It all comes back to me like it was
yesterday. But there is a huge problem. Where the hell do I buy parts
now? In the 60s and 70s I lived in a large city with many electronic
parts stores. Now I live in a small town/rural area with no such thing.
So far I have just used ebay, and paid the often ridiculous prices they
charge (to a limit). Heck, there is a seller on ebay selling the old NOS
resistors, 1/2W for $5 a piece. On top of that, the guy claims some are
out of tolerance and tells people to bake them in a oven which he
clainms will bring them back to specs. (what an idiot).

Anyhow, there are places like Mouser, Digikey, Allied, etc. I have
looked at their websites and feel lost.... Just too much to sort thru.
Not to mention I assume places like that sell in large amounts with
large minimum orders and costly shipping.

I just want caps, resistors, and some other stuff. Ebay seems to be ok
for tubes, but far too costly for caps and restisors.

I'd like this to be a thread to list other places to buy parts for
vintage tube gear. And also, could someone list the minimum order and
shipping amounts for those large sellers.... Like Mouser, etc...

Old December 17th 18, 01:48 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck[_2_]

http://www.oldradioparts.net/

Mark Oppat is the proprietor of this site, with his lovely wife, Leann.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old December 18th 18, 07:39 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob

On 12/15/18 17:55, wrote:
> Anyhow, there are places like Mouser, Digikey, Allied, etc. I have
> looked at their websites and feel lost.... Just too much to sort thru.
> Not to mention I assume places like that sell in large amounts with
> large minimum orders and costly shipping.
>
> I just want caps, resistors, and some other stuff. Ebay seems to be ok
> for tubes, but far too costly for caps and restisors.

amplifiedparts.com also has a lot of stuff, mostly to support tube
guitar amplifiers. But... you can use a lot of it for radios.

RF and IF components, not sure where to get those. Someone else posted
a link for antique radio parts though. But some RF components
(inductors, transformers) may be possible to hand-wind. And the audio
components might have substitutes available through Hammond. They're
expensive though. Mouser carries a lot of Hammond stuff, too.

Most of the sites like Mouser, Digikey, etc. are geared towards modern
electronics, lots of surface mount, etc. as well as through-hole, but
you can easily get lost with their parts selectors. Maybe something
that's focused on tube gear (like amplifiedparts.com) will do what you
want, better.

--
(aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me