Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] bvirtue@mindspring.com is offline

Default low/mid priced used consoles

I put a soundcraft 2400 in my home studio several years ago to be able
to take a wider variety of budget/projects. I have really enjoyed the
2400 for what it cost, but as my home studio is starting to be used
for a large portion of my work, its time to get something a bit better
with out getting into the ssl or api market. Some where around 15k to
20k used. and fairly low maintenance.

I'm running ProTools HD into the 2400. and the soundcraft is a bit
closed down and choked sounding. I can get my mixes to sound pretty
big off it, but its a lot more work than a high end console and its
like walking a tight rope. the slightest bit to much bottom and the
mix seems to bog down and lose its imaging. I obviously never had
problems like this on an ssl.

Also a simple fader automation would be nice, I use the automation in
protools, but i can not automate any outboard gear. I do a lot of loud
rock using a good amount of side-compression.It would be nice to be
able to automate side-compression or verb/ddl returns.

I have no experience with the consoles such as otari concept line, but
I've heard great things. Can anyone give me their opinion of the otari
concept to the soundcraft 2400. Or even bet, suggest other consoles I
should be considering (such as amek models...) I love mixing on ssl's
and really using the eq's and compressors. But for the way I've been
mixing at home using a good amount of plug ins for general eqing and
compression taking place in PT, I'm more concerned with an open
sounding console with a bit of color that allows my mixes to not be so
choked sounding. Also I have to be careful with the eqs on the 2400.
to much usage and the narrow bandwidth really becomes apparent and
seems to add the the mix feeling sharp and choked. So if you know what
I mean about the eq's please give me your opinions on how some other
consoles eq compare to the 2400.

thanks in advance

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Apr 16, 4:14 am, wrote:

Some where around 15k to
20k used. and fairly low maintenance.

My recommendation is that you find a studio with a console that you
like and ask them to contact you when they're ready to sell it. There
aren't a lot of medium sized well maintained consoles around any more,
and your best bet is to get one that's in use professionally. And if
it's working in a studio, you'll be able to hear what it sounds like.
You may have to pay for a couple of hours of time if they aren't
actively trying to sell the console, but you can bring in a project,
mix on it, and listen for the results you want.

They all sound different, and your description of what you're looking
for sounds like a combination of several consoles. There aren't too
many dogs out there, and for every dog you hear about, you'll find
someone who loves it. You just have to do the legwork yourself.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

bvirtue wrote:

I put a soundcraft 2400 in my home studio several years ago to be able
to take a wider variety of budget/projects. I have really enjoyed the
2400 for what it cost, but as my home studio is starting to be used
for a large portion of my work, its time to get something a bit better
with out getting into the ssl or api market. Some where around 15k to
20k used. and fairly low maintenance.

Before you spring for a used board, take a look at the Speck LiLo
console. That, with some of Speck's ASC parametric EQ's, which are now
available in the API rack form factor, might make a hell of a board for
your purposes. You also could add other EQ's, such as API's or any other
make and model fitting that rack, as time goes along. You'd wind up with
something of far higher quality than the average mid-priced board, and
also one not needing maintenance from the gitgo.

Info he

http://www.speck.com/lilo/lilo.shtml

http://www.speck.com/asc-v/asc-v.shtml

These are very high quality units.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

hank alrich wrote:
bvirtue wrote:

[...]

I will just say that I'd take a LiLo over an SSL any day, and you can
get one shortloaded and expand it, then get a larger frame if you decide
to expand it even more.

There's no automation, but in this day of DAW systems where you can make
stems for everything without sonic degradation, there's less of a need for
automation than you might think.

Also note that it's a line console, so there are no preamps. But I'd rather
have a console with no preamps than a console with lousy preamps that I have
to spend time and effort bypassing.