Joseph Luner

Default Subwoofer box question

I just built a subwoofer box for my JL Audio 12W6 V2, the recommended net
volume in the JL site (PDF) is 1.25 cub ft. but due to faulty calculation,
I built mine as 1.225 cub feet.

Question 1: Do you guys think I need to rebuild the box to get it perfect?
Question 2: I am wondering how different will 0.025 cub feet affects the
sound quality? will it be big difference?

John

Scott Gardner

I'll defer to people that have more experience with ported boxes, but
you're only talking about a two-percent variation here. Was your
error in the size of the port, or in the size of the rest of the
enclosure? If the entire .025 cubic feet shortage is in the port, you
might notice the difference, but maybe not.

Scott Gardner

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 04:16:25 GMT, "Joseph Luner"
wrote:

I just built a subwoofer box for my JL Audio 12W6 V2, the recommended net
volume in the JL site (PDF) is 1.25 cub ft. but due to faulty calculation,
I built mine as 1.225 cub feet.

Question 1: Do you guys think I need to rebuild the box to get it perfect?
Question 2: I am wondering how different will 0.025 cub feet affects the
sound quality? will it be big difference?

John

Scott Gardner

I dont know where I got the idea that you used a ported box.
Don't even think about re-building a sealed box to correct a 2% sizing
error. Sealed boxes are pretty forgiving up to a 10% variation. If
it would make you feel better, one pound of polyfill stuffed in the
box (fluff it until it's about the density of cotton candy) will make
the sub behave as if it were in a larger box.

Scott Gardner

wrote:

I just built a subwoofer box for my JL Audio 12W6 V2, the recommended net
volume in the JL site (PDF) is 1.25 cub ft. but due to faulty

calculation,
I built mine as 1.225 cub feet.

Question 1: Do you guys think I need to rebuild the box to get it

perfect?
Question 2: I am wondering how different will 0.025 cub feet affects the
sound quality? will it be big difference?

John

Paul Vina

You'll be fine. That small of a variationin a sealed box is nothing to
worry about.

Paul Vina

able.rogers.com...

wrote:

I just built a subwoofer box for my JL Audio 12W6 V2, the recommended

net
volume in the JL site (PDF) is 1.25 cub ft. but due to faulty

calculation,
I built mine as 1.225 cub feet.

Question 1: Do you guys think I need to rebuild the box to get it

perfect?
Question 2: I am wondering how different will 0.025 cub feet affects

the
sound quality? will it be big difference?

John

Eddie Runner

you will be fine, no one could hear the difference of only
0.025ft.....

Joseph Luner wrote:

I just built a subwoofer box for my JL Audio 12W6 V2, the recommended net
volume in the JL site (PDF) is 1.25 cub ft. but due to faulty calculation,
I built mine as 1.225 cub feet.

Question 1: Do you guys think I need to rebuild the box to get it perfect?
Question 2: I am wondering how different will 0.025 cub feet affects the
sound quality? will it be big difference?

John

Question about Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer Sped General 1 January 4th 04 11:06 AM
Newbie question: active subwoofer install Roger van Barkel Car Audio 2 December 31st 03 04:57 AM
Subwoofer question habibe99 Car Audio 0 November 25th 03 01:37 AM
Subwoofer wiring question Neil Addington Car Audio 1 October 27th 03 09:39 PM
15" subwoofer question Larry Durst Car Audio 15 September 23rd 03 01:52 AM