Colin

Default Phono Level Too Low - Rotel RA-1062

I've just bought a new Rotel RA-1062 amp (sounds great!). But the
output level I'm getting via the phono input is considerably lower
than that for CD. Not just a bit lower, significantly lower. I am
using an old 70s Monarch turntable (very obscure Aussie mid-fi model)
with a newer magnetic cartridge (Shure/Radio Shack R25XT). Have had
excellent levels from the turntable with a previous Rotel 1060
Integrated with an Acurus phono stage (the previous Rotel 1060 didn't
have an inbuilt phono stage). Have also had averagely good (not
fantastic) levels with an old JVC integrated also. Can anyone suggest
how this problem might be remedied? I would like to use the inbuilt
dedicated phono stage if possible. I know a possibility might be to
use a phono pre-amp and go through an aux input but I want to avoid
having another 'box' if possible. The ground wire is thin but it's the
same one as used previously with no real issues. Could it be that this
older magnetic cartridge has too low an output for the modern phono
stage input? Any help much appreciated.
Harry Lavo

"Colin" wrote in message
[...]

Colin - you sure it's a phono stage, and not just an Aux input marked
"Phono"? A few preamps have tried the latter over the last decade, and then
argue that it simply means "here is where you plug in the phono stage".

The Shure cartridges that Radio Shack rebadged are conventional MM's with
conventional outputs...should work fine if it is a true MM input. Possibly
there is a gain stage not working? A gain setting not set properly? (For
example, a -20 db pad.)

I'd certainly peruse the manual carefully, and if nothing can explain/fix
it, I'd take it back where you bought it and ask for a trade in refund
against something else.
Colin

Hi Harry. Thanks for your advice. It's a dedicated MM phono stage so
I suspect low level problem might be the old cartridge itself as well
as the electrics in the old 70s TT. Having said that, here's a bit of
my further experimentation.

1. Changed ground wire to something more substantial (no difference).
Still low levels.

2. Switched (Shure/Radio Shack R25XT) headshell/cartridge with that
from an old Technics SL23 - Output levels improved greatly (not quite
to that of the CD/Tuner but I could get a lot more grunt out of it
(this may be normal?)

3. Switched the Monarch Turntable with the Technics SL23 (which may
also be 70s vintage although later 70s) through the RA-1062 phono and
levels were even better.

Conclusion and possible solutions: Might need to get a better/higher
output cartridge for the Monarch (because it is a much much better
sounding turntable than the old Technics SL23).
OR buy a phono stage box (more expensive??).
ANY suggestions are very welcome! Regards, Colin.

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message ...
"Colin" wrote in message

Colin - you sure it's a phono stage, and not just an Aux input marked
"Phono"? A few preamps have tried the latter over the last decade, and then
argue that it simply means "here is where you plug in the phono stage".

The Shure cartridges that Radio Shack rebadged are conventional MM's with
conventional outputs...should work fine if it is a true MM input. Possibly
there is a gain stage not working? A gain setting not set properly? (For
example, a -20 db pad.)

I'd certainly peruse the manual carefully, and if nothing can explain/fix
it, I'd take it back where you bought it and ask for a trade in refund
against something else.

Uptown Audio

It is possible that the phono stage has a lower level than what is
optimum for any cartridge. Try a Rega Elys or a Grado Gold cartridge
and you should get some hugely better sounds from your table/amp. If
not, then you need a phono stage and just plug it into an available
line level input as before (that will help in any case).
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250