Mike Francis

Default Newbie question about surround sound speaker cables

I am having a house built and I finally get a room to setup an audio
system in. The surround sound wiring in the house is standard 16 gauge
OFC wire and I need to find out if this is acceptable or should I
upgrade. I am just beginning home audio but have always been a car
audio nut running Dynaudio's and high current amplifiers and 12 gauge
Monster wire throughout. I am buying a Denon AVR 3803 receiver and B&W
704's and 705's for front and rear stage. I would think that I need
larger gauge wire like 14 or 12 and also upgrade to a better grade of
wire like the twisted wire from Straight Wire, any input will be
greatly appreciated.
Mike Francis
Philip Meech

The experts here believe "wire is wire", but if you want some store
terminated wire there are
a number of fairly inexpensive brands like Tributary and Audioquest(F-4)
that perform well.
Interconnects under $100.00 each and speaker cables under $200/pair was
the last suggestion
I read. The engineers like 16 guage copper from Home Depot.

Mike Francis wrote:

I am having a house built and I finally get a room to setup an audio
system in. The surround sound wiring in the house is standard 16 gauge
OFC wire and I need to find out if this is acceptable or should I
upgrade. I am just beginning home audio but have always been a car
audio nut running Dynaudio's and high current amplifiers and 12 gauge
Monster wire throughout. I am buying a Denon AVR 3803 receiver and B&W
704's and 705's for front and rear stage. I would think that I need
larger gauge wire like 14 or 12 and also upgrade to a better grade of
wire like the twisted wire from Straight Wire, any input will be
greatly appreciated.
Mike Francis

Bob Marcus

Philip Meech wrote:

The experts here believe "wire is wire", but if you want some store
terminated wire there are
a number of fairly inexpensive brands like Tributary and Audioquest(F-4)
that perform well.
Interconnects under $100.00 each and speaker cables under $200/pair was
the last suggestion
I read. The engineers like 16 guage copper from Home Depot.

Don't forget that a lot of what is sold as "speaker cable," both high- and
low-end, can't be run inside walls in many jurisdictions. On the other hand,
16AWG that is allowed for in-wall is just as good as any other 16AWG. And
12AWG is better, especially for the longish runs necessary for multichannel
installations.

bob

Mike Francis wrote:

I am having a house built and I finally get a room to setup an audio
system in. The surround sound wiring in the house is standard 16 gauge
OFC wire and I need to find out if this is acceptable or should I
upgrade. I am just beginning home audio but have always been a car
audio nut running Dynaudio's and high current amplifiers and 12 gauge
Monster wire throughout. I am buying a Denon AVR 3803 receiver and B&W
704's and 705's for front and rear stage. I would think that I need
larger gauge wire like 14 or 12 and also upgrade to a better grade of
wire like the twisted wire from Straight Wire, any input will be
greatly appreciated.
Mike Francis

Learn to simplify your finances and your life in Streamline Your Life from
MSN Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0405streamline.armx

Gary Vander Schel

"Mike Francis" wrote in message
I am having a house built and I finally get a room to setup an audio
system in. The surround sound wiring in the house is standard 16 gauge
OFC wire and I need to find out if this is acceptable or should I
upgrade. I am just beginning home audio but have always been a car
audio nut running Dynaudio's and high current amplifiers and 12 gauge
Monster wire throughout. I am buying a Denon AVR 3803 receiver and B&W
704's and 705's for front and rear stage. I would think that I need
larger gauge wire like 14 or 12 and also upgrade to a better grade of
wire like the twisted wire from Straight Wire, any input will be
greatly appreciated.
Mike Francis

I'd recommend 12 gauge--it's not much more expensive than 16 gauge. The
'better grade' isn't necessary. This link is the best I've found addressing
the marketing evolution of wire/cable:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm (the gauge/length matrix may be
helpful, too!)
chung

Philip Meech wrote:
The experts here believe "wire is wire", but if you want some store
terminated wire there are
a number of fairly inexpensive brands like Tributary and Audioquest(F-4)
that perform well.
Interconnects under $100.00 each and speaker cables under $200/pair was
the last suggestion
I read. The engineers like 16 guage copper from Home Depot.

Well, this engineer likes 12-gauge copper wires for speaker cables,
whether from Home Depot, Lowes, Monster or Radio Shack. They all sound
the same, so buy whichever you like.

For interconnects, Radio Shack probably has the best selection at
reasonable prices.