Default Better Than Ezra group

Anyone else appreciate their vocals? Anyone know what their
chain is?

Brian

I still have one of their early albums that I bought around 1994 I
think. They were pretty popular when I was in college. I saw them live
a couple of years ago, and it was a good show. The lead singer is
excellent, I think he has alot to do with the sound of the vocals.

On 7 Nov 2005 05:32:06 -0800, wrote:

Anyone else appreciate their vocals? Anyone know what their
chain is?

Thomas Bishop

wrote in message
Anyone else appreciate their vocals? Anyone know what their
chain is?

They are one of my favorite bands. I've seen them live 7 times and am never
let down by the live show. Their crowd participation is great: last tour
they picked a member of the audience to play guitar on a song; this tour
they have someone come up to play a cowbell during "Don't Fear the Reaper,"
which is a tag on one of their own songs.

I don't know about the studio vocal chain; I know they use Midas consoles
live, but don't know if there are any outboard preamps. I think there is an
enhanced CD with some studio footage, I'll have to check.

I'm mainly curious to know what mic the lead singer
uses.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think it's the U47 just based upon the way the
singers voice sounds? You can tell it's through a 47?

I just looked on ebay and I can't believe how much the
47s go for. There's a used one for $7400 starting bid.

Coincidentally, as I was reading your reply, I was listening
to Better Than Ezra on headphones. Anyone who
wants to hear some really sweet vocals, check out their
album "Friction, Baby". It shows on all the tracks, and
especially on "Speeding up to Slow Down".
It's the only album of theirs I've got.
Do they have any other really good albums
I should look into?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Do you think it's the U47 just based upon the way the
singers voice sounds? You can tell it's through a 47?

I just looked on ebay and I can't believe how much the
47s go for. There's a used one for $7400 starting bid.

No two U47s sound the same way, because the earlier ones have PVC
diaphragms that don't age very well. So nobody can say "this is what
a U47 sounds like" because their U47 sounds different than mine.

There are a lot of folks who have gone through a lot of work to
rebuild them to the original specs using mylar film. But, this
removes some of the things that some people like about the U47.

A lot of the U47s out there have a huge peak at 8 KC because the
diaphragm is getting brittle. Some people like that, and consider
it an important part of the U47 sound, even though it's really a
sign of failure.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Do you think you could listen to one of their recordings and tell
what vocal mic was used? Narrow it down to 3? Have you
ever heard Better Than Ezra? The lead singer's voice is
out of this world for pop music.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
dikledoux

I heard them live way back before they really broke in Lafayette, Louisiana
at Grant Street Dancehall. That's mostly the way that guy's voice sounds
even through a funky PA with just a 58. Really a great voice.

dik