Mr. D

Default Amp toggle switch

I want to install a toggle switch to turn *one* of my amps on and off
and have some concerns...

My wiring plan is as follows:

- 12v accessory wire to 1 end of toggle switch terminal.
- 18Awg wire connected to other terminal of the toggle switch. (This
wire goes to the amp)

Can I use a switch that is rated at 250 Vac for my application? Will I
burn up the switch/contacts doing this?

Barry & Nikki

That was my idea as well. Use a switch in line with the remote turn on wire.
Even a small valet over-ride switch like those that are part of a vehicle
alarm system will do and they are easily hidden for a cleaner look. I use
one in line for my antennae on my Trans Am so when I am not listening to the
radio I can have my antennae in the down position. No sense in risking
bending my antennae if I don't have to. Its possible; I had a barn owl fly
(from the passengers side) right into the windshield of my F150 and bent the
hell out of my antennae on the way by. Just glad it could be bent back. All
I could think was : what if I were in the TA; EXPENSIVE!!! being it has the
electric antennae.

SF

the remote turn on will work just fine. I have the amp on/off switch and
used a Hella switch. Works perfectly.

--
WDW is a Way of Life
"Barry & Nikki" wrote in message
That was my idea as well. Use a switch in line with the remote turn on

wire.
Even a small valet over-ride switch like those that are part of a vehicle
alarm system will do and they are easily hidden for a cleaner look. I use
one in line for my antennae on my Trans Am so when I am not listening to

the
radio I can have my antennae in the down position. No sense in risking
bending my antennae if I don't have to. Its possible; I had a barn owl fly
(from the passengers side) right into the windshield of my F150 and bent

the
hell out of my antennae on the way by. Just glad it could be bent back.

All
I could think was : what if I were in the TA; EXPENSIVE!!! being it has

the
electric antennae.

Sean Scott

"Mr. D" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to install a toggle switch to turn *one* of my amps on and off
and have some concerns...

If you can afford it buy a 300 or 400 dollar HU, they give you MUCH MUCH
MORE control over your music and you can usually adjust the bass to your
subs while not affecting the speakers. This way if you want to turn down
the bass when in certain areas or while switching from rap to rock you can
and you wont even have to wire in a switch or worry about burning up
contacts.

My wiring plan is as follows:

- 12v accessory wire to 1 end of toggle switch terminal.
- 18Awg wire connected to other terminal of the toggle switch. (This
wire goes to the amp)

Can I use a switch that is rated at 250 Vac for my application? Will I
burn up the switch/contacts doing this?

scott johnson

"Sean Scott" Its@secret wrote in message

"Mr. D" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to install a toggle switch to turn *one* of my amps on and off
and have some concerns...

If you can afford it buy a 300 or 400 dollar HU,

/snip/

or he can use the 99cent switch.

Mr. D

Sean Scott wrote:
If you can afford it buy a 300 or 400 dollar HU, they give you MUCH

MUCH
MORE control over your music and you can usually adjust the bass to

your
subs while not affecting the speakers. This way if you want to turn

down
the bass when in certain areas or while switching from rap to rock

you can
and you wont even have to wire in a switch or worry about burning up
contacts.

True, but I feel that by using a switch, I have just as good of control
(maybe even more) as I would with an expensive headunit. Plus it's
cheaper...

Let's say I don't wish to use my subs... With my sub amp's remote turn
on lead and my ignition's 12V switched wire wired to a toggle switch, I
can switch off my sub amp, and my subs would be off. Not only that, but
my sub's amp does not remain on unnecessarily. Now that I think of it,
I think I'll wire all of my amps to seperate switches to give me even
greater control of my system.

Using a few $0.65 switches can prevent the risk of burning out a
headunit's remote turn on circuit, and save the need of using relays.

Barry & Nikki

What I was saying above is there is no need to even hook a switch to the 12V
power lead. Once the switch that you place on the remote turn on lead is
turned on/off that will thoroughly control the power lead. The remote turn
on lead is a switch in its own right that controls the power circuit. If the
amp is not sensing that the head unit is turned on it won't turn on either.
Being the amp turn on lead is such a minute amount of voltage there is no
need to worry about burning anything up. Even taking the switch out of a
kids toy will suffice for that; no worries about being underrated.

"Mr. D" wrote in message
oups.com...