Paul

Default Blown car speakers or bad CD player? Help!

I just bought a 95 Toyota Celica with the original OEM audio system.
Something's wrong with it but can't even figure out what to replace
here. First off, it comes with a Toyota head unit with
CD/cassette/AM-FM tuner. It has a 1.5" tweeter, a 4" mid-range and 8"
subwoofers in the door and a 6.5" speaker in the back...all in pairs
of course. The thing is, when I play the radio, everything seems to
be okay...(the Toyota sound system isn't great, but it
works)...however, when I play a CD, it sounds just like all the
speakers on one side are blown -- like the mid-range, the subwoofer
and possibly the tweeter is as well...everything on one side except
the rear speaker. Does this mean that the CD player is defective or
does it mean that all these speakers really are blown?
Steve Grauman

everything on one side except
the rear speaker. Does this mean that the CD player is defective or
does it mean that all these speakers really are blown?

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck...it's
probably a duck. If you know what a blown speaker sounds like and that's what
it sounds like...then that's very probably what it is. However, it does seem
odd that this sound problem would only exhibit itself during CD playback. The
first thing I'd do if I were in your shoes would be to take it to a Toyota
dealer. Simply because they'll most likely offer just to fix what's broken
rather than try to sell you on a whole replacement system. Once they've
identified the problem and given you an estimated repair/replacement cost, you
can levy that aganist what it would cost to "upgrade" to aftermarket parts.
Keep in mind that you won't neccesarily need an entire system. New speakers and
a single amp can be added to most factory decks. Unless the whole thing is bad
then you don't *need* a whole new system, just replace the broken parts.
Tony Fernandes

If the speakers work during radio playback but don't when you listen to a
CD, then there's something wrong with the stereo, NOT the speakers.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
I just bought a 95 Toyota Celica with the original OEM audio system.
Something's wrong with it but can't even figure out what to replace
here. First off, it comes with a Toyota head unit with
CD/cassette/AM-FM tuner. It has a 1.5" tweeter, a 4" mid-range and 8"
subwoofers in the door and a 6.5" speaker in the back...all in pairs
of course. The thing is, when I play the radio, everything seems to
be okay...(the Toyota sound system isn't great, but it
works)...however, when I play a CD, it sounds just like all the
speakers on one side are blown -- like the mid-range, the subwoofer
and possibly the tweeter is as well...everything on one side except
the rear speaker. Does this mean that the CD player is defective or
does it mean that all these speakers really are blown?

Tony Fernandes

Well, I've been mistaken before, but if the speakers are working okay when
listening to the radio then I'm going to surmise that the speakers are fine.
If they sound like crap or don't work at all when listening to the CD player
then it's obviously not the speakers. Unless I missed something...

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that
he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we wouldn't
have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
I'm confused...Steve thinks it's the speakers and you think it's the head

unit?

"Tony Fernandes" wrote in message

If the speakers work during radio playback but don't when you listen to

CD, then there's something wrong with the stereo, NOT the speakers.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or,

that
he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we

wouldn't
have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact

om...