Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom Jancauskas Tom Jancauskas is offline

Default Oil for Studer A820 2 channel capstan

Hi All,

Anybody know a source for oil for a Studer A820 2 channel capstan motor?

The manual suggests Isoflex PDP-65. I can't sem to find a source. Is there
an equivalent that can be used?

Thanks!
- Tom
--
Tom Jancauskas
Imedia

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Tom Jancauskas wrote:
Hi All,

Anybody know a source for oil for a Studer A820 2 channel capstan motor?

The manual suggests Isoflex PDP-65. I can't sem to find a source. Is there
an equivalent that can be used?

I think that's just a medium heavy turbine oil. Ask your local machine shop
for the ISO 68 version of Castrol OC-11. Or for a synthetic, try
Royal Purple Synfilm 68. Like most industrial oils, minimum order will be
five or ten gallons, so the key is to find a local shop that will fill a
little bottle from their drum.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Tom Jancauskas wrote:
Thanks again Scott. You always seem to have the right information! I'll give
it a try.

I just knew to ask Rex, our staff machinist. He knows ALL this stuff.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Tom Jancauskas wrote:

He said the product is a special order only. The minimum size available is a
large (one liter I think) container, which was around $200.

He said he will try to get a engineer's sample for me.

We'll see.

Ask the guys on the Studer mailing list if they'd go in on a liter
with you.

A liter isn't too bad. The minimum order for the Synfilm is something
like five gallons.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom Jancauskas Tom Jancauskas is offline

in article , Scott Dorsey at
wrote on 6/26/09 9:22 AM:

Tom Jancauskas wrote:

He said the product is a special order only. The minimum size available is a
large (one liter I think) container, which was around $200.

He said he will try to get a engineer's sample for me.

We'll see.

Ask the guys on the Studer mailing list if they'd go in on a liter
with you.

A liter isn't too bad. The minimum order for the Synfilm is something
like five gallons.
--scott

The Studer list is no more. It was taken down months ago. For what reason, I
don't know. I think it was something about it being too hard to moderate,
search the archive, and host.

Too bad. It was a great resource. It was a bit difficult for new owners of
these machines (new to analog too) to get answers to questions that many of
the veterans knew intimately. Especially if the info was buried in a manual
that the person didn't have & couldn't locate. It's in the manual was a
common answer.

I did find out from a motor rebuilder that I need to check the label on the
bottom of the capstan motor to be REALLY sure that it needs this kind of
oil. Apparently there are 2 versions of the motor - one which requires
oiling, the other doesn't. The rebuilder doesn't sell the oil of course...

The original manual says it needs oiling, but I was told to double check.

I'll take the machine apart when I get a minute & find out.

Thanks,
Tom
--
Tom Jancauskas
Imedia

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article ,
Tom Jancauskas wrote:

[...]

Try asking your Studer questions he

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/f/30/0/

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom Jancauskas Tom Jancauskas is offline

in article , david correia
at
wrote on 6/27/09 4:28 PM:

In article ,
Tom Jancauskas wrote:

[...]

Thanks - I'll give it a shot.
--
Tom Jancauskas
Imedia

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom Jancauskas Tom Jancauskas is offline

in article , Scott Dorsey at
wrote on 6/16/09 8:56 AM:

In article ,
Tom Jancauskas wrote:
in article , Scott Dorsey at

wrote on 6/15/09 4:07 PM:

Tom Jancauskas wrote:
Hi All,

Anybody know a source for oil for a Studer A820 2 channel capstan motor?

The manual suggests Isoflex PDP-65. I can't sem to find a source. Is there
an equivalent that can be used?

I think that's just a medium heavy turbine oil. Ask your local machine shop
for the ISO 68 version of Castrol OC-11. Or for a synthetic, try
Royal Purple Synfilm 68. Like most industrial oils, minimum order will be
five or ten gallons, so the key is to find a local shop that will fill a
little bottle from their drum.

Thanks Scott - Will do.

I looked up in the shop book this morning, and it's a synthetic ester type,
not a turbine oil. Synfilm 68 should still be a good replacement, as it is
also an ester type.

Klueber actually has an office in New Hampshire... a call to 603-647-4104
should get you in touch with someone who can sell you the Isoflex products.
My bet is that they'll only sell big quantities but you can ask for an
engineering sample.
--scott

Well, as it turns out Precision Motor Works has an oil that is a replacement
for PDP-65, It is PDP-68. I got some & it is fine.

Thanks,
Tom
--
Tom Jancauskas