gobjef

Default dolby coax to L,C,R,LS,RS,LFE

I'm need to get from a dolby digital coax out to L,C,R,LS,RS,LFE rca
ins. Is there a cable I can get? Please help.
Andrew M.

No...You need a decoder(or decoding software) to convert from a Dolby
Digital stream to 6 channels of audio. You could also go through a
decoder and record 6 channels from the decoder(like an A/V receiver with
6 outputs). I think Dolby E lets you manipulate the encoded Dolby
Digital stream without decoding it. Other than that I think you need to
decode it to do anything with it.

gobjef wrote:
I'm need to get from a dolby digital coax out to L,C,R,LS,RS,LFE rca
ins. Is there a cable I can get? Please help.

Scott Dorsey

In article ,
gobjef wrote:
I'm need to get from a dolby digital coax out to L,C,R,LS,RS,LFE rca
ins. Is there a cable I can get? Please help.

No, you need a Dolby Digital decoder.
EganMedia

You need to decode the dolby digital stream in order to hear the discreet 5.1
channels. A basic home theater reciever will decode the signal, but you'll
need one with preamp level outputs. if you want to interface the decoded stream
with a mixing board. The least expensive home theater receiver with preamp
outputs on RCA connectors that I have found is the Sony STR-DA1ES. It's less
than $400. You won't be able to solo channels from the receiver and the
interface isn't like something you'd expect to find on a professional decoder,
but for referencing 5.1 mixes muxed in something like DVD Studio Pro it works
pretty well.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

Scott Dorsey

EganMedia wrote:
You need to decode the dolby digital stream in order to hear the discreet 5.1
channels. A basic home theater reciever will decode the signal, but you'll
need one with preamp level outputs. if you want to interface the decoded stream
with a mixing board. The least expensive home theater receiver with preamp
outputs on RCA connectors that I have found is the Sony STR-DA1ES. It's less
than $400. You won't be able to solo channels from the receiver and the
interface isn't like something you'd expect to find on a professional decoder,
but for referencing 5.1 mixes muxed in something like DVD Studio Pro it works
pretty well.

Actually, DOES anybody make a simple box with a Dolby bitstream in, and
S-PDIF out to external converters, or clean analogue discrete outputs?
I'd like something a good bit cheaper than the Dolby unit, but I'd like
something more solidly built and without all that additional processing
crap that the consumer receivers have.

Kurt Albershardt

Kalman Rubinson wrote:

There used to be a number of consumer decoders but these have gotten
rare as consumers move to a/v receivers that encorporate the decoder
functions. I have a Technics SH-A500D decoder that does DD, DTS and
DPL quite simply. Oh, analog out.

I have an SH-AC500D as well. Definite issues with 0dBFS output but
otherwise not a bad machine, and (until I hear significant improvements
from something else) good enough for the theatre system here.

Arny Krueger

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message

Kalman Rubinson wrote:

There used to be a number of consumer decoders but these have gotten
rare as consumers move to a/v receivers that encorporate the decoder
functions. I have a Technics SH-A500D decoder that does DD, DTS and
DPL quite simply. Oh, analog out.

I have an SH-AC500D as well. Definite issues with 0dBFS output

Please elaborate...

I'm trying to think of something digital that *dosen't* have issues with 0
dBFS!