Posted to rec.audio.tech
WDS WDS is offline

Default How to convert MP3 Left Channel only to both channels

My friend has a "cassette to CD" deck for copying cassettes to CD.
Unfortunately, I don't have a cassette player and his deck is hard wired so
that it duplicates the cassette exactly. And unfortunately, this particular
tape has all the sound on the left channel. So, he made me a CD from the
cassette, and like the cassette, all the sound is on the left channel.

I have MusicMatch for ripping CDs to MP3. What software do I need to create
a two channel mono MP3 file from the left channel?

It seems there are two possibilities on how to accomplish my goal. Is there
a type of MP3 file that is inherently single channel and so MP3 players
"know" to play it on both channels? Or, is there a way to copy the left
channel to both channels and thus simulate mono while using both channels?

thanks for your help.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jwvm jwvm is offline

It seems there are two possibilities on how to accomplish my goal. Is there
a type of MP3 file that is inherently single channel and so MP3 players
"know" to play it on both channels? Or, is there a way to copy the left
channel to both channels and thus simulate mono while using both channels?

Here is free software that will give you a variety of options for
fixing your problem. It will convert a stereo file to mono in a variety
of input and output formats.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley Jeff Findley is offline

"WDS" wrote in message
.. .
My friend has a "cassette to CD" deck for copying cassettes to CD.
Unfortunately, I don't have a cassette player and his deck is hard wired
so that it duplicates the cassette exactly. And unfortunately, this
particular tape has all the sound on the left channel. So, he made me a
CD from the cassette, and like the cassette, all the sound is on the left
channel.

I have MusicMatch for ripping CDs to MP3. What software do I need to
create a two channel mono MP3 file from the left channel?

Why would you do that?

It seems there are two possibilities on how to accomplish my goal. Is
there a type of MP3 file that is inherently single channel and so MP3
players "know" to play it on both channels?

I just played with this last night. The "-mm" command line option for LAME
creates a mono MP3. This is great for things like audio books where you
typically don't care if it's stereo. This is the way to go.

I personally use Exact Audio Copy and LAME to rip CD's into MP3, but it
wasn't terribly easy to get it set up right. Getting LAME set up to work
with it correctly took a Google search ("exact audio copy lame") which took
me to the hydrogen audio forums (I think) which had a decent summary of LAME
settings to use and how to enter that into Exact Audio Copy's settings.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)