Mark Zarella

Default when is capacitors used?

Yes it does. It takes a chemical reaction and turns it into electrical
energy.
Do battery operated devices need a power source? Yes. And what is that

power
source? A battery.

Les

a car battery and a Duracell are different.

Are you claiming that one is a source and the other isn't?

michael hardie

i might be wrong, and i may be a simple choice of words thing, but don't
capacitors store charge?

Mark Zarella wrote in message
it's a storage device it holds potential, it doesn't generate it's own
power.

It holds potential energy, not potential.

If it's a voltage storage device, what charges it up?

Soundfreak03

a car battery and a Duracell are different.

BS. They are batteries. They are both power sources.
Mark Zarella

i might be wrong, and i may be a simple choice of words thing, but don't
capacitors store charge?

Yep. We were talking about batteries above though.

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
it's a storage device it holds potential, it doesn't generate it's

own
power.

It holds potential energy, not potential.

If it's a voltage storage device, what charges it up?

the alt.

I don't have an alternator to charge my flashlight batteries.

aren't car batts. and "Duracells" different??

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
Yes it does. It takes a chemical reaction and turns it into electrical

energy.
Do battery operated devices need a power source? Yes. And what is that

power
source? A battery.

Les

a car battery and a Duracell are different.

Are you claiming that one is a source and the other isn't?

nope, one can be charged over and over and one is just a use once. both are
potential differences.

Tha Ghee

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
a car battery and a Duracell are different.

BS. They are batteries. They are both power sources.

no they both store energy.

Mark Zarella

I don't have an alternator to charge my flashlight batteries.

aren't car batts. and "Duracells" different??

sigh Nevermind.

Soundfreak03

nope, one can be charged over and over and one is just a use once. both are
potential differences.

My batteries at my house can be charged over and over again!!! So can my car
battery. They are both POWER SOURCES.

Les
Tha Ghee

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
nope, one can be charged over and over and one is just a use once. both

are
potential differences.

My batteries at my house can be charged over and over again!!! So can my

car
battery. They are both POWER SOURCES.

Les

only if they're rechargeable if not then you can't recharge them.

Soundfreak03

only if they're rechargeable if not then you can't recharge them.

You don't say? But how does that address what I wrote?

Les
Tha Ghee

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
only if they're rechargeable if not then you can't recharge them.

You don't say? But how does that address what I wrote?

Les

they don't generate there own power, they need to be supplied with it first.

Mark Zarella

they don't generate there own power, they need to be supplied with it
first.

What doesn't need to be supplied with it first? Name just one device, and
then we'll write it up because we will have found proof that the
conservation of energy does not exist.

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
they don't generate there own power, they need to be supplied with it

first.

What doesn't need to be supplied with it first? Name just one device, and
then we'll write it up because we will have found proof that the
conservation of energy does not exist.

when you have a batt. you need to charge it up, or supply it with a
potential difference.

Mark Zarella

What doesn't need to be supplied with it first? Name just one device,
and
then we'll write it up because we will have found proof that the
conservation of energy does not exist.

when you have a batt. you need to charge it up, or supply it with a
potential difference.

Yes. When you have ANY source, it must be supplied with energy first.

Again, I ask you to name just one device that doesn't need to be supplied
with potential energy first. You said that a battery cannot be a source
because it must be supplied with energy first. Well, according to your
logic then, sources must not exist.

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
What doesn't need to be supplied with it first? Name just one device,

and
then we'll write it up because we will have found proof that the
conservation of energy does not exist.

when you have a batt. you need to charge it up, or supply it with a
potential difference.

Yes. When you have ANY source, it must be supplied with energy first.

Again, I ask you to name just one device that doesn't need to be supplied
with potential energy first. You said that a battery cannot be a source
because it must be supplied with energy first. Well, according to your
logic then, sources must not exist.

no an alt creates it own but a batt. doesn't

Les

"Tha Ghee" wrote in message

You said that a battery cannot be a source
because it must be supplied with energy first. Well, according to your
logic then, sources must not exist.

no an alt creates it own but a batt. doesn't

A battery creates due to a chemical reaction. But if you want to get
technical the alternator does not "create" it's own power either. It has to
rely on the engine to turn to supply it with energy. So the alt. has no
capabilities to make power on it's own. If I were to set an alt on my
counter and hook something up to it they would both just sit there. So in
your world there are no sources of power. The same logic you apply to the
battery I have just applied to your alt. Unfortunately it does not make
sense in the real world, only in Gheeland.

Les

Mark Zarella

no an alt creates it own but a batt. doesn't

No it doesn't. An alternator is supplied with mechanical energy. It, like
a battery, transduces mechanical energy into electrical energy, therefore
making it an electrical source.

Similarly, a battery transduces chemical energy into electrical energy,
therefore making it an electrical source.

A resistor, on the other hand, transduces electrical energy into thermal
energy, thereby making it a heat source.

Do you notice the trend here?

Capacitors Bryan Car Audio 0 December 2nd 03 04:23 AM
FA: Sprague NOS "Black Beauty" Capacitors and More! Rick Ferranti General 0 December 1st 03 06:51 PM
fs: 1 Farad Capacitors Eric Renaud Car Audio 0 October 26th 03 11:13 PM
FS: (3) 1 Farad Capacitors Eric Renaud Car Audio 1 October 1st 03 11:59 PM
CAPACITORS good inexexpensive? Soundfreak03 Car Audio 7 July 23rd 03 09:50 PM