Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] strstr1112@gmail.com is offline

Default Marantz 7--Why so expensive??

On Tuesday, October 20, 1998 at 4:00:00 PM UTC+9, David Anderson wrote:
Hi,

I don't want to start a price-flame war, but I'm simply curious as to why
Marantz 7 preamps command such high prices compared to other tube preamps
of their era.

I've looked at a schematic for the Marantz preamp, and it appears to me to
be a well-implemented, but fairly conventional, design. I have seen one
opened up for service, before, though I've never heard one in operation,
and the only unusual thing I noticed was the placement of the tubes. In
fact, it doesn't seem to differ too much in terms of circuit design from
the McIntosh C22 preamp, which I've seen offered at somewhat lower prices.

In fact, for $2-3K, it seems to me that you could build a really good
preamp--one that had far fewer switches in the signal path than the
Marantz 7 and one that had things like a stepped attenuator volume
control. For that matter, it wouldn't be hard to duplicate the Marantz
design. Power amps are harder to copy due to the output transformers, but
preamps are generally built from commonly available parts.

So, are the high prices just due to collectors value--the thrill one gets
from owning something with a certain name and number on it--or is there
something else that I'm missing?

Regards,
David Anderson

--
I refuse to accept any unauthorized or unsolicited E-mail
communications.

The sending of an unsolicited E-mail communication shall
be proof that the sender has agreed, by action, to send $500.00
US/ certified funds to me, prior to any unsolicited or unauthorized
transmission.

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine.
By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited
advertisement to such equipment.
By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

When the buyers go crazy, the sellers go crazy to counter... Thats why the 7's are selling like crazy with unreasonably high prices
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

I think the proper term is Yichis. Why the same suit from Brooks Brothers is worth more than from Krass Brothers.

Marantz has the legend and the pedigree, largely derived from the 10B, that makes the other components in that series valuable. A "Matched Set" as it were.

Is the 7/7B anything special? It was at the time. Now, there are better. Along with the 8/8B & 9/9B. There are better.

Would I spend that kind of money? No. Even if I were stupidly rich. There are better places to spend for better results.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA