Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.video.desktop,alt.video.divx
[email protected] gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com is offline

Default AC3, 5.1 surround at lower bitrates?

Hi, I just lost 10 DVDs in an airplane baggage debacle and am now
convinced (more so than before) that there is a legitimate reason to
backup ones DVDs. I have been trying to read up on this etc and have
noticed that for newbies, such as myself, there are nice apps like
AutoGK (I'll never figure out Gordian Knot) but it seems to default
to either using the unmodified audio stream (AC3) or CBR/VBR MP3. While
I would love to have full surround sound I am also tempted by the idea
of being able to put 6 movies on a single layer DVD; while I can hear
the difference between stereo vs surround I can't hear the difference
(gimpy old guy syndrome) between VBR 128-192 kbps (mp3) and 300+ kbps
(AC3)... long story short:

Is there a (easy) way to have surround sound in backed up movies with
audio streams that are slightly more "reasonable" (its all
subjective I guess) sizes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko