Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] SimonSaintSimon@googlemail.com is offline

Default Ableton Live 7 - Terratec Phase 26 USB - how?

Hi,

Desperately need some advice and was wondering if you could help?

I want to be able to use Ableton Live 7 as a traditional DJ tool,
being able to hear the cueing track through headphones separately from
the master volume. For this I assume I need a dual-output soundcard? I
have an external soundcard with a number of inputs and outputs but
cant seem to configure my set up to work in the way i want it too.

What i want to do seems incredibly simple: in Ableton set the master
to route out via 1/2 stereo and set the cue to route out through 3/4.
The soundcard appears to have the settings and sockets (lines out) to
do this but i cant seem to get any sound out of it

My current set-up consists of PC, Ableton Live 7 and Terratec Phase 26
USB (I also have an old Phonic MM1002 mixer I want to use for inputs
like mics but assume this does not need to be considered in the
equation for this specific problem).
For performance purposes I saw on a forum that ASIO4ALL could be used
to convert the wdm driver to ASIO if preferred working that way. I
dont fully understand this

but strangely the preferencesoutput config in Ableton Live gives me a
number of output channels when ASIO4ALL is only picking up my onboard
single channel soundcard (?!) which I have connected separately to my
amp for desktop sound. Whenever set ASIO4ALL (or Ableton without
ASIO4ALL) to use my external soundcard Ableton only sees stereo
1/2.Considering how many input/output options the soundcard offers I
assumed it had dual output capability but i am now starting to doubt
that (although then i am also not sure why the soundcard has those
output sockets?).

I am getting incredibly disheartened and frustrated and thinking I
have been sold a dud. What i want to do seems incredibly simple: in
Ableton set the master to route out via 1/2 stereo and set the cue to
route out through 3/4. The soundcard appears to have the settings and
sockets (lines out) to do this but i cant seem to get any
sound out of it.

I am waiting on support from Ableton (if they can or will help on
separate
hardware) but the support on the Terratec website might as well be non-
existant
whilst my vendor Thomann seem to have abandoned me. This is why I'm
scouring groups
for info

If can please help!

thanks for your time