Rich Andrews

Default FS: McIntosh MC2500

For sale:

McIntosh MC2500 amp. Amp is in perfect condition electrically. Has a few
cosmetic blemishes. Was used in an oil exploration lab and has very few
hours on it.

$2500.00

WindsorFox[SS]

Rich Andrews wrote:

For sale:

McIntosh MC2500 amp. Amp is in perfect condition electrically. Has a few
cosmetic blemishes. Was used in an oil exploration lab and has very few
hours on it.

$2500.00

Okay I can't stand it. WTF was it doing in an oil exploration
lab??? :P

--
Check out the gaming & computer forums at the [SS] clan site.
http://www.shamikaserver.com

Rich Andrews

"WindsorFox[SS]" wrote in news:kcaFb.40541
$hf1.33546@lakeread06:

Rich Andrews wrote:

For sale:

McIntosh MC2500 amp. Amp is in perfect condition electrically. Has a

few
cosmetic blemishes. Was used in an oil exploration lab and has very

few
hours on it.

$2500.00

Okay I can't stand it. WTF was it doing in an oil exploration
lab??? :P

It was driving a towfish. I know, I have this mental image of a fish
riding in an convertible piloted by a very happy amplifier, but that is
the truth of the matter. To map the sea floor a transducer (underwater
speaker) sends out sounds that are reflected off the bottom and the
reflections are received and processed to produce a topographical map of
the sea floor. Yup - that's PFM AFAIC. There was an additional back panel
cover on the amp that had connectors on it labelled "Tow Fish".

The gentleman I bought it from worked for an oil company in Houston, and
the department he worked in was the exploration division. Logic suggests
that it spent some time at sea, but I cannot verify that. It may have
part of the transducer testing jig which actually makes sense given the
condition of the unit.

This particular unit also has a McIntosh installed switch to disable the
PowerGuard. Apparantly they wanted the ability to drive the amp into
clipping so they could produce *BIG* square waves. I talked to McIntosh
and they said that there were several mods that they would perform to
their amps for customers. They no longer do custom mods. To illustrate
the variety of mods, there was a MC2500 on ebay that had BNC input jacks
instead of the normal RCAs.

The Mc engineer that I talked to said there is no further information as
those records have been tossed. Gail in parts might be able to help if
you are curious as she used to assemble MC2500s.

Pictures are available and I will warrantee the critter too. This is a
late model MC2500 which makes it very similar to a MC2600 as far as the
drive circuitry is concerned. There were 3 versions of the MC2500 made
according to McIntosh.

I have had this amp for a year and have had no problems with it and it
sounds and performs the same as my other MC2500.

BTW, packing materials are extra as is shipping. Shipping and packing
should be about $200.00 in the continental USA.

The 2500 is a very nice amp. Quite smooth and has that "fat Mc" sound.

Ken Geiger Ken Geiger is offline
Junior Member

Location: Garland, TX 75043

Do you have any photos of the amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorFox[SS] View Post