Default Crossovers, Crossovers, Crossovers

May be this is a dumb question. . .not sure.

I just purchased an Eclipse CD8053. Reading the instruction manual, I
found that I can adjust the crossovers with it.

Is there any particular reason to adjust the high and low pass
filtering at the head unit rather than the amplifier or vice versa?
Obviously, it would be more convenient for later adjustments if I used
the head unit, but is there anything else to consider? Or is this just
a matter of trial and error--see which way sounds best?

If it matters, my amps are an Eclipse and an Orion, each of course with
its own set of filtering controls.

Thanks for any insights you may have!

Steve

I have the same head unit. I believe you only set those crossovers if you
are using the unit in pro mode. I have experimented with these in pro mode
and I felt that it seemed like there was some kind of processing going on.
I find that the bass is more pronounced in pro mode via the sub out. Also,
the pro mode seems to bring the mid range forward in the sound stage a
little bit. I eventually quit playing with it and just use the normal mode
as opposed to the pro mode. It sounds great. I use a McIntosh for front
stage and a JL Audio 250/1 for my sub. I do not use any rear speakers. My
fronts are Diamond Audio hex with the silk dome tweeters and I use a single
JL Audio 12W0 subwoofer.

Not sure if this helped. I would like to hear from others with this head
unit and try to see if I was not using the pro mode features effectively.

Regards,
Steve