Posted to rec.audio.tech
EADGBE EADGBE is offline

Default Yamaha CD Player - MUCH BETTER, THANKS!

This is a follow-up to my earlier post about the Yamaha CDX-710 CD
player that would sometimes skip during playback.

I took the suggestion to lubricate the CD spindle motor and replace
the grease on the upper CD clamp spindle (this is the part that I had
to occasionally press on in order to stop the CD player from
skipping).

First, I dismantled the upper CD clamp spindle and wiped away ALL of
the original factory grease. I must say that the although the grease
was still somewhat slick, it was more than a bit sticky and gummy to
the touch. It also had that familiar dark rust color that you usually
see on grease that is well past its "sell by" date. I'm sure that
this had something to do with the problem.

Then, I tilted the player on its side and, using a toothpick, touched
a couple of drops onto the shaft of the CD spindle motor, right at the
point where the shaft entered the motor casing.

I then righted the player and let the oil seep down into the motor
whilst I re-assembled the upper CD clamp.

SUCCESS! (So far!) I have just played three different CD's in a row,
with nary a skip to be heard!

I just may have solved the problem! Fingers crossed for luck!

A hearty THANK YOU to one and all for your kind suggestions and tips!