Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] scottcleveland@verizon.net is offline

Default Dual 1219 turntable Noisy..

Just picked up a Dual 1219 turntable via Craig's List. Works well
except that after 20 minutes, motor (I think) gets very noisy like a
screeching noise - seems to come from motor - my guess is it is a
bearing in the motor. Anybody have this problem? Any suggestions? If I
need a new motor where could I get it? Thanks in advance - Scott
Posted to rec.audio.tech
EADGBE EADGBE is offline

What a nice find!

Try applying a couple of drops of light oil (sewing machine oil works
great) on the shaft of the motor where it enters the motor casing.
Let the oil seep inside the motor. While you're at it, check the
condition of the idler wheel (the wheel that contacts the rim of the
platter).

Good luck, and enjoy your Dual!
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

wrote in message
Just picked up a Dual 1219 turntable via Craig's List. Works well
except that after 20 minutes, motor (I think) gets very noisy like a
screeching noise - seems to come from motor - my guess is it is a
bearing in the motor. Anybody have this problem? Any suggestions? If I
need a new motor where could I get it? Thanks in advance - Scott

**As long as you possess a little mechanical aptitude, you'll have no
problems. Forget throwing more oil into the motor bearings. It won't work.
You need to remove the motor from the unit. Remove the motor capstan. You
may need to apply heat, to loosen the grub-screw. Carefully disassemble the
motor, marking the bearing housings, so they go back EXACTLY the same way.
Clean the bearings with a cotton bud (Q-tip, to Americans) soaked in
alcohol. Keep cleaning, 'till you get no more green gunk. Clean the motor
shafts the same way. Place a drop or two of light machine oil into each
bearing, then reassemble. Ensure the motor shaft spins freely, before
re-mounting into the turntable base. If it does not, make the necessary
adjustments to the bearing housings. Replace the motor capstan and re-mount.
It should be fine for another thirty years. Oh yeah, clean the idler rubber
too.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Scott[_3_] Scott[_3_] is offline

On Jun 2, 7:18 am, "
wrote:
Just picked up aDual1219 turntable via Craig's List. Works well
except that after 20 minutes, motor (I think) gets very noisy like a
screeching noise - seems to come from motor - my guess is it is a
bearing in the motor. Anybody have this problem? Any suggestions? If I
need a new motor where could I get it? Thanks in advance - Scott

Thanks for all the suggestions - I took the motor off today, and was
able to get to the bearings in either end. Cleaned out w/ Q Tip - not
too much dirt, and oiled w/ high grade clock oil (I used to collect
clocks) - and reassembled. I have had it running now for an hour and
no noise. Thanks Again... Scott

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"Scott" wrote in message
On Jun 2, 7:18 am, "
wrote:
Just picked up aDual1219 turntable via Craig's List. Works well
except that after 20 minutes, motor (I think) gets very noisy like a
screeching noise - seems to come from motor - my guess is it is a
bearing in the motor. Anybody have this problem? Any suggestions? If I
need a new motor where could I get it? Thanks in advance - Scott

Thanks for all the suggestions - I took the motor off today, and was
able to get to the bearings in either end. Cleaned out w/ Q Tip - not
too much dirt, and oiled w/ high grade clock oil (I used to collect
clocks) - and reassembled. I have had it running now for an hour and
no noise. Thanks Again... Scott

**Ya gotta love the Germans. They build stuff properly and when it does
break down, you can actually service it.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:58:17 -0700 (PDT), Scott
wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions - I took the motor off today, and was
able to get to the bearings in either end. Cleaned out w/ Q Tip - not
too much dirt, and oiled w/ high grade clock oil (I used to collect
clocks) - and reassembled. I have had it running now for an hour and
no noise. Thanks Again... Scott

This is probably OK, but I'd feel a lot better with something
else as a lubricant for the sleeve bearings.

Who friggin' knows what the original lube was, but it was volatile
enough to evaporate into a wax in a coupla decades, so it
wasn't forever. But then, nothing is.

The bearings are a brass sleeve and a hard chrome rotor, and
worked well with the factory goo until it evaporated. My
best guess is that it started as an oil that was held in
the semi-porous "sintered" sleeve, until it evaporated to wax.

It's not the end of the world, but if you later come to
feel that the bearings aren't up-to-snuff, you might try
washing them again and a lube with auto wheel bearing
grease. The molyb stuff is yummy and will outlive us in
this use. Makes the bearings quieter, too. Not automatically
an issue, but easy to do.

All the best fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"True, but only for large values of zero."
-Mike Rivers
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] jimknopf007@gmx.de is offline

Hi,

I'd like to say thank you for the tip! I have just re-discovered an
old 1219 and after 6 LPs, a terrible noies from the motor started. I
tried to put oil on the shaft... but did not quite expect an
improvement. Then I removed the cover and put some oil into the lower
bearing and ... nothing to hear except from the music.

Thanks again and regards,

Jim Knopf