AntiSpammer

Default what does these specs means?

1) nominal power handling at crossover at 2200hz = 220w/12db , 120w/6db

2) transient power 10ms = 1000w

3) frequency response = 1600hz - 22000hz

4) sensitivity( 2.38V/1m) = 91.5db

what does the above specs means? these are the specs for a 8ohm tweeter, are
they good or overkill or unsuitable for car audio?

thanks in advance

Jeff Foster

ANSWERS INLINE

"AntiSpammer" wrote in message
1) nominal power handling at crossover at 2200hz = 220w/12db , 120w/6db

The 2200hz is the frequency at which the test was run. I have never seen
wattage ratings right next to decibel numbers. Perhaps the db numbers are
the crossover slope settings and the wattage ratings are the power handling
ability for the item if the crossover is set to those slope settings.
That's just a guess though. I really have no idea what those ratings mean
without reading it all and putting it in context.

2) transient power 10ms = 1000w

You got me.

3) frequency response = 1600hz - 22000hz

This is the sound frequency that the speaker will output. The range of
human hearing is 20hz to 20,000hz (with good hearing). Hearing loss will
generally decrease that range to something more like 25hz to 16,000 or
18,000 hz. If your tweeter is capable of a response such as you listed, it
should be fine. It extends above the range of human hearing so you will
hear all the high notes in your music and will only go down to 1600hz which
is the midrange of music. You'll need a woofer or other speaker to cover
the range from 1600hz down to 20hz (or as close as you can get to 20).
HOWEVER, those numbers really mean absolutely nothing without knowing how
the ratings were obtained. Were they rated with a variance of +- 5db, or
+-10db, or higher? the higher the variance, the crappier the speaker will
sound because certain frequencies will vary widely from others causing your
ears not to hear everything evenly.

4) sensitivity( 2.38V/1m) = 91.5db

Any speaker with a sensitivity rating of 90db or higher is fine.

what does the above specs means? these are the specs for a 8ohm tweeter,
are they good or overkill or unsuitable for car audio?

thanks in advance

MZ

1) nominal power handling at crossover at 2200hz = 220w/12db , 120w/6db

The 2200hz is the frequency at which the test was run. I have never seen
wattage ratings right next to decibel numbers. Perhaps the db numbers are
the crossover slope settings and the wattage ratings are the power
handling ability for the item if the crossover is set to those slope
settings. That's just a guess though. I really have no idea what those
ratings mean without reading it all and putting it in context.

Yeah, your guess is correct. Those are the xover parameters at which the
test was run. In other words, they're not giving us a whole lot of info. I
hate when manufacturers quote "system" power ratings for tweeters, instead
of the actual power ratings for the tweeters.

2) transient power 10ms = 1000w

You got me.

It's how much power the tweeters can handle at 10ms intervals. To blow a
speaker, you have to have enough power for a long enough time. Two
components to it there. If you lower one component, you can increase the
other (to a point).

3) frequency response = 1600hz - 22000hz

This is the sound frequency that the speaker will output. The range of
human hearing is 20hz to 20,000hz (with good hearing). Hearing loss will
generally decrease that range to something more like 25hz to 16,000 or
18,000 hz.

Or even lower, actually. Most folks with normal hearing can't hear very
well about 17kHz or so. It takes a lot of power at frequencies above that
to be audible. People with even mild hearing loss may have thresholds
closer to 5kHz or so. Few can actually hear up to 20kHz without having to
crank up the signal. Interestingly, I seem to recall that women tend to
have higher thresholds than men...

If your tweeter is capable of a response such as you listed, it should be
fine. It extends above the range of human hearing so you will hear all
the high notes in your music and will only go down to 1600hz which is the
midrange of music. You'll need a woofer or other speaker to cover the
range from 1600hz down to 20hz (or as close as you can get to 20).
HOWEVER, those numbers really mean absolutely nothing without knowing how
the ratings were obtained. Were they rated with a variance of +- 5db, or
+-10db, or higher? the higher the variance, the crappier the speaker will
sound because certain frequencies will vary widely from others causing
your ears not to hear everything evenly.

Exactly. Without knowing where they were setting the threshold, it's
impossible to make sense of those numbers. Typically, there's a gradual
rolloff of the freq response up in the early teens (kHz), so if they made
the measurement at, say, +/- 0.5 dB, their rating may read 18kHz, whereas a
threashold at +/- 1 dB could make a 22kHz threshold.

4) sensitivity( 2.38V/1m) = 91.5db

Any speaker with a sensitivity rating of 90db or higher is fine.

Even here they're leaving out important information, such as the type of
signal they were using to obtain the rating. For instance, were they using
a 1kHz sine wave, or were they using white noise?

Overall, I'd say we don't have enough information to be able to predict the
performance of this tweeter. I'd say that it's worth a shot. It might be
useful to know what kind of tweeters we're talking about here...

AntiSpammer

wow, thanks, thats fast.
but then is it easy to find a midbass/midrange that covers from 1600hz
downwards?
I have already bought the tweeters and there dont seems to be much of a
choice.

PS: sorry jeff, i clicked too fast and send an email to you...

AntiSpammer

thanks again MZ, jeff.this is the tweeter.

http://www.morel.co.il/drivers/tweet...upreme130.html

Overall Dimensions OD130mm (5.12") x 50mm (2")
Nominal Power Handling Crossover at 2,200 Hz P 220 W/12dB 120W/6dB
Transient Power 10ms 1000 W
Nominal Impedance Z 8 Ohms
Sensitivity (2.38V/ 1M) 91.5 dB
Frequency Response 1600 - 22,000Hz
Resonant Frequency FS 680Hz 10%+/-
Voice Coil Diameter OD 28mm (1.1/8")
Voice Coil Height 2.7mm (0.106")
Voice Coil Former Aluminum
Voice Coil Wire Hexatech Aluminum
Number of Layers 2
DC Resistance RE 5.2 Ohms
Voice Coil Inductance @ 1khz LBM 0.09 mH
Magnet System Type Neodymium flat pancake design
Magnetic Gap Height HE 4.2 mm (0.16")
Cone / Dome Material Acuflex? Coated soft Dome
Net Weight Kg. 0.52 Kg.

Overall, I'd say we don't have enough information to be able to predict
the performance of this tweeter. I'd say that it's worth a shot. It
might be useful to know what kind of tweeters we're talking about here...

MZ

wow, thanks, thats fast.
but then is it easy to find a midbass/midrange that covers from 1600hz
downwards?
I have already bought the tweeters and there dont seems to be much of a
choice.

You should be able to find midrange speakers that can get that high. In
fact, most of them can...

2033 valve specs Mark Vacuum Tubes 6 September 4th 04 05:20 PM
Uher M538 Mic specs needed Dick Cox Tech 0 August 6th 04 01:48 AM
Gallo Nucleus Micro/Adiva specs and advice Hung Tran High End Audio 12 April 28th 04 05:41 PM
Paradigm specs Paul Abelson High End Audio 2 March 20th 04 04:48 AM
Need info & specs for Advent 6003 speakers ? unc80 Marketplace 0 September 3rd 03 01:07 AM